Thread: opinions

opinions

When I was hired my boss and I made a verbal agreement that I use my vehicle to do service calls and he would pay me mileage. Now he wants me to use his vehicle for some long haul calls. I'm thinking this is breach of contract. He will just argue with me about how he can't afford to pay me mileage. I'm getting screwed out of mileage and money. Just looking to see if anyone else has this problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: opinions

If you enjoy what you are doing, and think you are getting paid fairly in every other aspect then I would allow some wiggle room and work with the guy on the long hauls..If however, you can't make your monthly bills becasue you aren't getting enough in mileage re imbursment, then you may need to look else where..I don't know the tax or insurance laws, but he may be in violation on one and you may be putting yourself at risk if his vehilce insurance doesn't cover the risks..

opinions

I would be nervous anytime the boss starts a sentence with "I can't afford to pay you". Now it's the long hauls, soon it'll be switching cars every other week.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

My mileage can be a bit of a gravy train, if I am busy enough and driving all over. lately it hasn't been that busy and my dick boss is giving the gravy calls to other techs as we don't get along. This has really put a dent on my expense cheque and basically has lowered my income somewhat. You and I have a choice, we can stay and make the best of it, or see if there is greener grass elsewhere. In the end you have to weigh out the pros and cons of staying or leaving. Will the next company really be better, or make promises that they will want to rescind later like the verbal agreement you now find yourself dealing with. Research what is out there for possible jobs and in the meanwhile see if you can come to a compromise with your current employer in the mean time.

Do your research, bide your time and strike when the opportunity presents itself. Don't just change jobs or employers for the sake of it, in this business it can be a major regret in a instant!!!

opinions

Siphon some fuel out of the bosses car to use in yours and just tell him what a terrible miles per gallon his car does.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    opinions

Why not ask him to pay you a flat car allowance like $400-$500 per month plus he pays gas, tolls & parking? This way you are guaranteed that amount every month. Unless your mileage is that much you are making more than that every month?

As an owner I would like to know what are we talking about here, what is average amount of the monthly expense report you submit? If ridiculously high I would question it as well. If every month I'm writing a big check I'm pissed! But like you said that is deal you cut. He will know next time he hires to give a flat car allowance!