Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Oldest or first web browser you used was?

I'm getting old...My 1st browser was Nexus..this was late in my Navy days (early 90's). I was "schooled" on the Motorola 8080 processor..3 MHz clock speed, and 8 bit bus..My 1st browser for personal use was Netscape Navigator. E

Oldest or first  web browser you used was?

I vaguely remember as a kid (in like 1995) seeing Netscape on my parents' computer (don't remember what they had). Shortly thereafter (1997-ish) was the "upgrade" to the Gateway 2000 desktop and the switch to AOL with the Good Ol' Dial-up connection, this was the first computer/ internet I actually used (at age 7!). Learned A LOT on that computer (mostly good, but some not so good things also).

Oldest or first  web browser you used was?

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    IE and Nutscrape Navigator were my first web browsers. Netscape usually crashed for me which is why I called it Nutscrape.

Before the "web", I started with a Commodore Desktop and a 300 baud modem! Got on the BBS's, thought that was cool. Big upgrade to a 1200 baud modem, thought I was flying! Download a pic, one slow line at a time.

First "real" PC? Packard Bell 486 SX 25! 210Mb HDD! 2Mb RAM! No CD-ROM (added later $300) Internet was Compuserve, Prodigy, AOhell.

The good ol' days, eh?

I still have that 486 SX 25 in the closet somewhere.

First "Real PC" you say??

IBM 8088 with dual 5 1/4" floppies.... 20 MEG HDD, and 640 K of RAM!! Linked with a 9-pin tractor feed dot matrix printer. Ran on DOS 3.0.

Green Screen monochrome monitor.

First actual "Computer" experience?? TTY (Type 33??) Teletype with punch tape and Dot Matrix printer. Separate 2800 baud cradle modem.

....GOD I feel old now.....

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Before the internet was actually called the internet we would use Win3.11 ,TTY Ascii text software over AARNET using dumb terminals....
    hhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARNet
    AARNet - Wikipedia

Later on we moved to win95 & 98 along with better PC architecture and GUI software using Netscape, Mosaic.
    In the days of AARNET, if you wanted to send a picture over the "now internet"; you had to encode the image into ascii text blocks with MIME and similar base64 encryption software. The picture would then be decoded from ascii text back into graphics format at the Rx end.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••