Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Probing Questions.... a Lost Art!!

Re: Probing Questions.... a Lost Art!!

Speaking of probing questions, I swear this just happened today, talk about not asking questions, our sales department had us deliver a table top mono mfp to an existing customer. We get there and put the copier on the table they set aside for the copier, the client walks out and states, "that will not do." I assured them, "that this is a real workhorse and they would love it!" There response to me, " your sales department did not state it was white, take it back, I would prefer a black one as it will match the decor better." I felt like saying, "are you f*cking kidding me, the color?!".... "the color....what the f*ck?" I just loaded it back on the truck and said "have a nice day." Now we are on the search for a "black" mfp. "For the love of god!!"

Apparently, they contacted the sales department and told them they just wanted a small mfp for a particular office, they did not think anything of it as the client only specified they wanted a small table top and agreed upon a price, that was it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    Speaking of probing questions, I swear this just happened today, talk about not asking questions, our sales department had us deliver a table top mono mfp to an existing customer. We get there and put the copier on the table they set aside for the copier, the client walks out and states, "that will not do." I assured them, "that this is a real workhorse and they would love it!" There response to me, " your sales department did not state it was white, take it back, I would prefer a black one as it will match the decor better." I felt like saying, "are you f*cking kidding me, the color?!".... "the color....what the f*ck?" I just loaded it back on the truck and said "have a nice day." Now we are on the search for a "black" mfp. "For the love of god!!"

Apparently, they contacted the sales department and told them they just wanted a small mfp for a particular office, they did not think anything of it as the client only specified they wanted a small table top and agreed upon a price, that was it.
    Been to a few of those types of customers. Real fun one was a long time ago( early 80's) when a customer called and demanded that we do something to make her IBM Selectric typewriter not make so much noise when she typed. The really weird part was the customer was a movie production company making a movie in the area and they were here because of the historic buildings some from the early 1800's. The typewriter was being used to type revised script dialogue. And there could not be such an obvious modern noise in a pre-civil war story. Yes the microphones used to record the actors were picking up the sound of the scripts being typed.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Got a call from trading company that the MFP goes offline and sometimes does not send scanned documents to email.
    I called up to speak to the IT, and asked for a remote session. I found out that WSD was enabled, print drivers was not installed properly so I downloaded the correct drivers for him and let him install and change the ports to TCP/IP. I checked the SMTP server and found out that the ports were not correct.
    Next day was a callback, he said that the printer goes offline again so I once again connected. When I ran a continuous ping, I noticed that the reply was more that 500ms. Printer cannot be accessed from the browser this time so I asked him to restart the device. To my surprise, there was an IP conflict. What makes it even worse is that he does not know how it happened and that there was no DHCP reservation set on his router.
    Then he asked me if I could help him resolve this, (facepalm in front of my PC) you are the IT dude! Of course I know this, and you should know it too. So I showed him how to do it and sent the invoice.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

This is probably for the jokes thread but here we go

Customer:
    My copier won't copy. Come and fix it asap.
    Tech: Any red lights or error message on copier screen?
    Customer: Nope, panel is black.
    Tech: Could you check if copier is turned on, please.
    Customer: Nope...ugghh wait a second I will use my phone flashlight to find turn on switch.
    Tech: ?! But ...why(the f..k) !?
    Customer: There is no electricity in this room.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Customer calls," none of our copiers are scanning, "

"if none of them are scanning, then it's unlikely to be the machines, it'll probably be your network, has anything changed on your network"

"nothing has changed on our network, it's the machines, we need you to come out"

"can you test it while I'm on the phone, and tell me what happens"

"it says error deletion- server connect error"

"it has to be your network, if I have to attend, you may be charged"

"but we're on a contract"

"unfortunately it doesn't cover you for network issues, ask your IT if they have changed anything"

Customer rings back "our IT says nothing has changed, they say it's the copiers"

I go on site check and both machines definitely aren't scanning, I have the settings from when they were installed, nothing has changed, "so you tell me they were working on Friday, today is Monday, so something must have changed over the weekend....it's unlikely that 2 machines will show exactly the same fault"

Customer picks up the phone and rings their IT....." they replaced the SMTP server over the weekend........I knew they were doing it sometime, but didn't know when"
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    Probing Questions.... a Lost Art!!

Trouble type: blurry print
    Customer type: realtor group
    Durables: just replaced. But it would not have been described as blurry.

Me: great..... Who is it this time

Realtor: shows the sample, clearly a copy or worse, from inkjet

Me: please how me how you did it

Realtor: prints a map on a b/w ir adv, then put it in color ir adv cas 1. Then he proceed to print his sh17.

Machine: beebop*, printed his sh17 and everything looks decent.

Me: but this looks good

Realtor: no, its after i copy it. And then he proceeds to copy his sh17.

Machine: *insert classic steam engine sound*, the copy came out just like a copy. Gray looks spotty, text looks inconsistent like the first sample he showed. Whats more, it ressembled a copy of his sh17

Me: but this is a copy, you lose quality when doing a copy

Realtor: NO.... But I always do it this way~

Me: *it seem as if my rage had leaked through the tone of my voice and my face*, i said another technician would say the same.

Realtor: withdrew to his dumbass desk with his sorry ass sh17.
    Last edited by jmaister; 08-24-2019 at 03:27 AM.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthur View Post
    Customer calls," none of our copiers are scanning, "

"if none of them are scanning, then it's unlikely to be the machines, it'll probably be your network, has anything changed on your network"

"nothing has changed on our network, it's the machines, we need you to come out"

"can you test it while I'm on the phone, and tell me what happens"

"it says error deletion- server connect error"

"it has to be your network, if I have to attend, you may be charged"

"but we're on a contract"

"unfortunately it doesn't cover you for network issues, ask your IT if they have changed anything"
    "
    Got a few calls when we first started selling networked copiers. Worst was when we got a call about three computers won't print to the copier. But then she added the other ones in the office print fine. I flat out told them they needed to talk to their computer techs company since we did not trouble shoot or cover network problems. Yes next morning got a call and they insisted we go out and fix the problem. I got there and printer fine from five different pc's but when I went to the three problem machines no print. And fun I did an ip config and the pc's did not match the network configuration of the others and the copier. Gave the papers to the office manager and explained that her computer service company had to find out why those three had the mismatched ip addresses. Now go two days later she calls back and I explained it was not our problem and if I had to fix a network problem then they had to pay a service fee and would it be possible to have the computer guy there at the same time too. We agreed and I met everyone the next morning at nine. I went in and showed the guy the mismatched ip addresses and he flat out said but they connect to the server and that is where the printer drivers are so your copier has something wrong with the internals. Fine I went and swapped a cable from one pc that printed with one that wouldn't turned it off and on and all of a sudden the pc printed to the copier. Did a quick check and the ip address changed too to match the copier range. So I did a quick check and found the "switch" for those three pc's was actually a router. I turned it off and unplugged the input from the connection and put it into a switch connection and turned it on and had the three pc turned off and on and guess what immediate printing the ip addresses changed to match the rest of the equipment. I handed the office manager a bill and flat out said this is the last network repair we will make here. She found a new company for the computer services as soon as their contract expired. We also dropped that company as a service contract machine too since my boss at the time did not want to get involved with networking and they forced us to do something I was in all actuallity not qualified to troubleshoot.