Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Musical Instrument Bargain Hunter!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Newest "Bargain Hunted" instrument. Gibson Les Paul Special and Peavey Heritage Amp.

Didn't actually "buy" this one for cheap, but worked for about 4 hours cutting a neighbors tree down, and on top of a couple hundred bucks, he gave me this little setup. I was blown away! (Wasn't part of the deal).
    Speechless and a bit jealous.
    Whatever

Also have a bad habit of going on mid day pawnshops crawling.
    Got a mint condition Washburn classic for less than a 5th of the retail value with a travel case in a second hand store.
    My favorite guitar is a Fender strat ripoff branded Suzuki on the head stock.
    After setting the action and intonation its the best guitar i have ever owned.
    Thing i payed like $25 dollars worth for it!

Problem is now having one too many fixeruper that is wasting space.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Musical Instrument Bargain Hunter!!

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Speechless and a bit jealous.
    My neighbor is 82 years old, and has a collection that is jaw-dropping. Even being that old, he can still play effortlessly and gracefully (he's a blues guy).
    He told me that he called a few tree companies, and the average price was about $1,700.00 to remove said tree. I told him I'd do it for much cheaper, couple hundred bucks, (not a very big tree - maybe 25 feet tall, had already been "topped and pruned" in the past, and wasn't near any power-lines). So after finishing and cleaning, I grabbed the cash and went on home (35 feet away). Next thing I know, there's my old neighbor standing on my porch with the amp and a brown "Gibson USA" hard case. He said it wasn't right to pay me so little, so he thought this would make up for it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    I've got my Mexican made Fender Strat that my father bought me for my first guitar 16 yrs ago (along with Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Aerosmith music books). Sunburst color with a blonde neck. The Action on that guitar is so Low (but not sloppy low) that it takes no effort at all for some of those rolls and hammer ons. Love that guitar.
    Then I have the Epiphone SG with upgraded hardware (EMG 81 and 85 pickups and Grover Roto-Grip pegs) that I will never give up. Bought it for $300.oo new the month before my father brought up the fender. This guitar is my everyday guitar. I'm a metal guy (Sabbath, Maiden, Slayer, Lamb of God, Metallica, etc.), and the SG fits perfectly with the "Thrashy-Chug" and power chords. Wider neck than the fender (a little more room for error ), but also heavier in the neck when it comes to "balance" (tends to want to send the head downward when not holding on). Absolute favorite guitar though.
    And then there are the "shelf guitars"; Couple of LTD's from a garage sale, a Hamer Slammer that I bought from a buddy for 100 bucks, and a Schecter Omen 6 that my little sister "pawned to me" and then just ended up letting me have.

Will get some pictures up in the near future.

That's one of the things I never liked about the SG... they're always "Neck Heavy". This is my "chug" guitar. It's a 2009 Epiphone Wilshire reissue with a set of Duncan 59's in it. Double cut mahogany slab like the SG, but a lot better balanced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    That's one of the things I never liked about the SG... they're always "Neck Heavy". This is my "chug" guitar. It's a 2009 Epiphone Wilshire reissue with a set of Duncan 59's in it. Double cut mahogany slab like the SG, but a lot better balanced.
    The 58 reissue Les Paul has the wider and fatter neck, and I love that. The wider neck leaves more room for your fingers obviously. I thought the fatter neck would be a detriment, smaller hands and shorter fingers then most guitarists, but it actually seems more comfortable.

A retired ex coworker gave me a homemade triple neck bench steel guitar, even has homemade pickups, and a tube gibson amp from the early 60's.
    Amp gives off a very bad hum, needs some work. Have to get off my ass and get it restored.

"Even though the thread is four years old, your musical adventure and knack for finding instrument bargains are timeless. It's fascinating how your "Bottom-Feeder" approach has led you to some incredible deals, like that Ibanez S-521 for just $89. The excitement of stumbling upon great instruments at such affordable prices is something that resonates with musicians of all times.
    As we're talking about musical instruments, have you ever thought about exploring the world of bouzouki. Even though the thread is from a few years ago, your passion for music and discovery is as vibrant as ever.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Also have a bad habit of going on mid day pawnshops crawling.
    Got a mint condition Washburn classic for less than a 5th of the retail value with a travel case in a second hand store.
    My favorite guitar is a Fender strat ripoff branded Suzuki on the head stock.
    After setting the action and intonation its the best guitar i have ever owned.
    Thing i payed like $25 dollars worth for it!

Problem is now having one too many fixeruper that is wasting space.
    I play harmonica, well, I dont play as well as I would like to. Suzuki also make some of the best harmonicas. So I dont doubt the guitar is a good one.