Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Do you trust Alexa?

Do you trust Alexa?

In 2018 , data became a more valuable global commodity than oil.

Data helped President Obama win his election and the misuse of data (via the now defunct Cambridge Analytica) helped President Trump win his election.

Every time you speak to Alexa (from Amazon), it stores information about you and creates a personal profile that can be data mined and used to create profit.

Should control over your personal data be recognized as the new human right?

Sharp copiers now offer Alexa integration for basic copier voice commands. Has anyone installed this in a customer's office or is it just a cute feature for copier demo rooms?

YouTube

YouTube

The attached two videos seem to demonstrate that you can perform these tasks faster by hand than via voice.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Do you trust Alexa?

Re: Do you trust Alexa?

Do you trust, Alexa, SalesServiceGuy? We are tracked from the minute we wake up, from our, computers (email, etc), from our phones (google emails me monthly every place I have been to), apple i watches, fit bits that monitor our every heart beat that can be sent to the doctor so they can keep track of you heart, blood pressure, etc. Once we step into our vehicles with all the latest and greatest technology, you are being tracked. Facebook, twitter, snap chat, etc. try googling someone you know, all kinds of info.. I love the off griders who think they are at a remote location, two words for you....google earth (peekaboo, I see you). Lets not forget about facial recognition and gait recognition as well.
    Sorry, went off subject, I could not help my self.
    Last edited by copiertec; 07-29-2019 at 03:43 AM.

Do you trust Alexa?

I would not install Alexa in my home if they paid me.

I recognize that Alexa is a great convenience for many people and helps Amazon sell a lot more product to a lot of people.

Apple's Siri is an equivalent personal assistant but I do not think it is linked to a gigantic e-commerce site. I do not use Siri either.

What people do not recognize is that by enabling Alexa in their home or office they are authorizing Amazon to collect their and use their personal data for both profit and research.

Data can be accumulated,and analyzed in so many different ways plus stored forever, that one's personal data is probably forever compromised and never retrievable.

Simple things like answering an online survey and giving your email address can compromise your personal data.

During the 2016 USA Presidential elections, data analytic firms would regularly send out mass surveys seeking personal data to devise politically targeted messages.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

AS far as Alexa goes in copiers... Its a sales and marketing thing.

Also so they can sell you toner and paper through Amazon. That makes sense to me.

Do you trust Alexa?

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    I would not install Alexa in my home if they paid me.

I recognize that Alexa is a great convenience for many people and helps Amazon sell a lot more product to a lot of people.

Apple's Siri is an equivalent personal assistant but I do not think it is linked to a gigantic e-commerce site. I do not use Siri either.

What people do not recognize is that by enabling Alexa in their home or office they are authorizing Amazon to collect their and use their personal data for both profit and research.

Data can be accumulated,and analyzed in so many different ways plus stored forever, that one's personal data is probably forever compromised and never retrievable.

Simple things like answering an online survey and giving your email address can compromise your personal data.

During the 2016 USA Presidential elections, data analytic firms would regularly send out mass surveys seeking personal data to devise politically targeted messages.
    I am 100% on board with you. As a matter of fact, I just recently was told by a family member that you could possibly get money because of an equifax breach, but they want all kinds of personal info to see if you qualify. Is this not the reason most people are in this mess? Giving out personal data just to gain a nickle.
    All apps that you load on to you phone ask for access to all you files on that device.

Do you trust Alexa?

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    I am 100% on board with you. As a matter of fact, I just recently was told by a family member that you could possibly get money because of an equifax breach, but they want all kinds of personal info to see if you qualify. Is this not the reason most people are in this mess? Giving out personal data just to gain a nickle.
    All apps that you load on to you phone ask for access to all you files on that device.
    The only ones that want all the "Personal Data" are the 3rd Party sites that are trying to link up to the Class Action suit.

Go straight to the Equifax page and basically all they ask for is Name/Address/Date of Birth/email and Phone. Then you get a choice of Credit Monitoring from ALL the bureaus or a check/cash card for $125.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

This looks similar to the documentary "the great hack".
    But I think, the lesser you are exposed to technology, the least "they" know about you.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Do you trust Alexa?

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    The only ones that want all the "Personal Data" are the 3rd Party sites that are trying to link up to the Class Action suit.

Go straight to the Equifax page and basically all they ask for is Name/Address/Date of Birth/email and Phone. Then you get a choice of Credit Monitoring from ALL the bureaus or a check/cash card for $125.

Screw the "10 years of credit Monitoring" that they offer, most people were being "Monitored" when the freakin' breach happened.
    My wife and I, a bunch of close friends and family, and co-workers (like 45 us total) were "affected" and all opted for the 125 bucks.
    Takes a couple minutes to fill out the Claim, and at least it's some kind of compensation. They have other parts of the claim that you can fill out for more $ if you lost time/money because of the breach.

Do you trust Alexa?

When around at a mates house, wait until he is out of earshot then ask his Alexa for a very loud 2 am wake up call.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Do you trust Alexa?

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    When around at a mates house, wait until he is out of earshot then ask his Alexa for a very loud 2 am wake up call.
    Your response poses an interesting question.

If anyone is in voice range of Alexa, can they command it to perform various tasks?

I am thinking anyone other than the owner? What if there are five people living in your house?

I hope you cannot access your banking or personal information via Alexa.

I have read about how children were able to order without permission video games on their parent's Amazon account by voice.