Thread: NPC Theory

Technician

NPC Theory

I am convinced that 90% of the world are NPC. simulations or own imagination whatever.
    I've had to many experiences with people that leave me questioning my own reality.
    So many customers asking the dumbest question or expecting the dumbest shit.
    Having to deal with there attitudes, and bullshit. No sane person acts or expects what they want/ do.
    No you can not get a coloured toner for your mono machine, No you can not use the machine when ive got it all in pieces. No i will credit you the one print for the counter.
    The reason you cant scan to email is because you dont have a fucking network!!! What do you mean you dont know your log in password?
    They can't be real people

Anyone else question there sanity regularly?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    NPC Theory

Re: NPC Theory

Quote Originally Posted by Firthy View Post
    I am convinced that 90% of the world are NPC. simulations or own imagination whatever.
    I've had to many experiences with people that leave me questioning my own reality.
    Having to deal with there attitudes, and bullshit. No sane person acts or expects what they want/ do.
    No you can not get a coloured toner for your mono machine, No you can not use the machine when ive got it all in pieces. No i will credit you the one print for the counter.
    The reason you cant scan to email is because you dont have a fucking network!!! What do you mean you dont know your log in password?
    They can't be real people Anyone else question there sanity regularly?
    ho;y SHIT!
    you do really expect alot from customers...

think of it this way..

they are new recruits in the military

they haven't had:
    shots... haircuts... uniforms issued nor weapons.. they don't "Sir Yes Sir" and have a very un-tech mentality...

HELL I bet most have EXIT signs over the door on the INSIDES of their bath and bedrooms!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Oh it's not just with office equipment. There are all sorts of websites with weird customer requests. Like the vegan that wanted her sandwich to be made with ground chicken and not ground beef because chicken is not meat. or the real good one when a blind internet user sued or threatened to sue Playboy.com because the website was not easy to navigate for a blind user. I fully expect someone to sue a publisher sooner or later because the books and magazines are not printed in a manner that makes it easy for dyslexic sufferers to read the products. There is the other sort of nonsense that has a warning on a jar of peanut butter "warning contains nuts" And another warning label on a child stroller which states "WARNING remove child before folding" And then there is the infamous Stella Awards, named for the woman that sued McDonalds when she got burned after spilling a cup of hot coffee in her lap.

Oh yeah I ran into the unknown password problem a few times when the It /Network tech set things up so that users were assigned a login in id and were not given the password used to log in. It was stored on the server and none of the data processing software was on the user pc. In effect the pc's were dumb terminals that what showed up on the screen was actually the software being run on the server and then transmitted to the pc by the server or in real old terms the mainframe. Usually this sort of system is set up in locales that have a very very strict need for security. Last one I remember like that was a law office where the confidential information was very strictly controlled and the users could not access the internet in order to avoid having the company network hacked and information stolen via keyloggers or other malware.

Below are two links to the stories referenced above

wacky warning labels - Bing images

Playboy.com Sued by Blind Man Who Says He Can't Fully 'Enjoy' the Website

Last edited by gneebore; 08-05-2019 at 04:26 AM.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    NPC Theory

No sane person acts or expects what they want/ do.
    I think sometimes people are just mentally lazy. Why spend 2 seconds working out a reasonable answer in your head and on your own when you can just ask someone else?

BTW, do you think this is just for laughs, or did someone actually try to eat a hanger somewhere along the line?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    NPC Theory

I think that you might want to consider a different line of work. Like maybe a grave digger so you won't have to deal with people on a regular basis.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    NPC Theory

When I started out in this line of work I had this crazy idea that average people were basically intelligent and could think coherently. They really didn't need technicians because they should be able to figure out the logical things. They would only really need help with difficult concepts.

I have very gradually, inch by inch, swung entirely over to the other side. How many times do you have to look at an "Add Toner" indication to think ... "hey, maybe I should add toner?" And the enduser that does not know his/her username and password? I just stand there dumbfounded.

Now when someone does something intelligent I always point out that was a really good idea. It doesn't happen very often. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    When I started out in this line of work I had this crazy idea that average people were basically intelligent and could think coherently. They really didn't need technicians because they should be able to figure out the logical things. They would only really need help with difficult concepts.

I have very gradually, inch by inch, swung entirely over to the other side. How many times do you have to look at an "Add Toner" indication to think ... "hey, maybe I should add toner?" And the enduser that does not know his/her username and password? I just stand there dumbfounded.

Now when someone does something intelligent I always point out that was a really good idea. It doesn't happen very often. =^..^=
    Or the other really common and dumb service calls that went "The machine won't turn on" A simple question asked before leaving to check it out "Is it unplugged?" They answered yes so you go and find the power cord not plugged in because the cleaning people needed to plug in the vacuum cleaner and then left the equipment unplugged. Or even better the surge suppressor tripped and shut off power to everything plugged into it. I remember a few discussions after the monthly office conferences the really stupid calls we all shared. But anyone that deals with the public has their own stories. Facebook occasionally has links to a list of the dumbest things people have seen or heard. This was one such link.

Shocked People Share The Stupidest Things They've Ever Witnessed - Page 2 of 117

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    I think sometimes people are just mentally lazy. Why spend 2 seconds working out a reasonable answer in your head and on your own when you can just ask someone else?

BTW, do you think this is just for laughs, or did someone actually try to eat a hanger somewhere along the line?
    Could be the manufacturer's lawyer told them to put the warning label on there. I do recall stories about people being choked or burned by wire hangers. Mostly when they unwound the hanger and then used it as a stick to hold a hot dog or a couple marsh mellows over a fire. And then poked the wire too far into their mouth injuring their throat to take a bite of the food they just cooked.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    NPC Theory

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Could be the manufacturer's lawyer told them to put the warning label on there. I do recall stories about people being choked or burned by wire hangers. Mostly when they unwound the hanger and then used it as a stick to hold a hot dog or a couple marsh mellows over a fire. And then poked the wire too far into their mouth injuring their throat to take a bite of the food they just cooked.
    No more common sense, I see what the system is turning out lately, I have met college educated idiots that still live at home with the parents and can not twist a screwdriver, 20+ years old and are babied and coddled like they are toddlers. It's really sad, they can not survive on their own, but I believe this is by design.

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    No more common sense, I see what the system is turning out lately, I have met college educated idiots that still live at home with the parents and can not twist a screwdriver, 20+ years old and are babied and coddled like they are toddlers. It's really sad, they can not survive on their own, but I believe this is by design.
    First started dealing with the public as a short order cook in an after school job in the late sixties. And there has always been the really dumb customers. Like the ones that even way back then would look at the menu price board above the food prep area. And then ask how much a cup of coffee without cream costs. Or even better were the times when I worked between jobs as a gas station attendant. Could not count the number of times the driver would tell me to leave the tire pressure alone they weren't going to pay extra. And that back then was part of the service, like checking the oil level and cleaning the windshield. But then when I started working on office equipment the dumbness really multiplied. Like the constant machine in stencil mode calls, or ribbons in wrong. And the really fun calls when they wanted me to fix their computer terminals, not pc's but dedicated computer terminals with the "Call XYZ company for service" on the machines

People still living at home after college has been an off and on situation for as long as I can remember. There were articles in the news magazines every few years about what todays young adults are doing . Or the cost of living is so high young adults are still living with their parents even after marriage. Plus we actually had "qualified techs " that had problems with using a screwdriver properly too. One of them was so bad the service manager eventually had the dispatcher assign him to only supplies deliveries.