Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Mergers and Acquisitions.

Looks like I'm part of yet another acquisition.

The LAST time I was involved in one of these, it didn't quite go as I would have hoped. I went from Service manager...to field tech... to unemployed after 90 days when some of their technicians had been trained on the machines I was certified on.

Guess I get to learn some new equipment again!! .....That'll be the 9th and 10th model of MFP's I have certifications on.

Re: Mergers and Acquisitions.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post

The LAST time I was involved in one of these, it didn't quite go as I would have hoped. I went from Service manager...to field tech... to unemployed after 90 days when some of their technicians had been trained on the machines I was certified on.

Guess I get to learn some new equipment again!! .....That'll be the 9th and 10th model of MFP's I have certifications on.

Had a buddy in a similar position. Farm Implement repairman (Combines/ Tractors/ Planters etc.)shop manager for a "small time" shop. He worked there for about 8 years and made pretty damn good money. Butler Ag (Big Time Corporation) came in and bought up all the little guys, and if employees from those buy-outs wanted to join their team, they could take a test to see if they would be hired. The test consisted of looking at a parts layout of a "component" for a short amount of time, and then going over to a bench and assembling the pieces to make the component. My buddy passed that test with flying colors and was instantly hired, got a $4.00 pay raise, but was "demoted" to a normal technician, and quit after about 90 days, citing the stress of the "oversight" and quotas and redundancies of the new corporate business. Then he came to work for us as a delivery guy making $9.00 /hr less than at Butler. Best decision he ever made he said. I think I would've stuck it out!!

I was a tech at Ricoh for many years, I had a lot of frustration working for the big corporation. I moved over to a Ricoh dealer and took a big pay cut, best thing that ever happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    I was a tech at Ricoh for many years, I had a lot of frustration working for the big corporation. I moved over to a Ricoh dealer and took a big pay cut, best thing that ever happened to me.

I was working with an independent Canon dealer when we got bought out the first time.

Now I'm with a Savin/Sharp dealer that got bought out.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If you get released after they train one of their existing techs to work on what you are certified on, you could always go independent for a while. You've got a large base of equipment you are trained on.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post

Good luck on the transition, and try not to stress about it too much. For me, it seems like the older I get the less I like drastic change, especially when it comes to family or the job. Sure doesn't keep it from happening, though.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Yea got bought out and everything changed (they said it wouldn't ). Had the toner color coated with dots so customer could come in the get what they needed without having to walk to the front counter. That got moved to the back of the building (what a pain ). They threw away old manuals (said we did not need them anymore). They came in knowing we had not had a raise in 5 years and said they would take care ok it (another lie). I stayed for a while to see if things would change (they didn't). When I left I was pulling in half of the business and they could not believe I was leaving, asked for .25 cent a hour raise and got laughed at. I left and started my own company and when around and got all the customers ( been working about 10 years with the customers). Put them out of business in less than a year. They just made me mad.