Thread: Exams

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Exams

I was just wondering if you guys take the certification exams from manufacturers and get something out from it. Do you get paid extra? or assigned extra work for knowing/passing those exams.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Exams

Re: Exams

At my shop we don't get paid extra to do anything. LOL. We normally do modules of the new machines when they come out, and only when we have a lull in calls. As a Lanier dealer we are required to stay current on all machines that we sell. There is always something to learn and I always find something that I didn't know. I think it's helpful to do the exams. Just my two cents.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

unfortunately no extra income but I think they are essential.

Every day there are news, even for the most experienced technicians. Less useful are the online courses

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Exams

No, the training is to give you greater confidence, "that good feeling inside". It does not translate into income, except maybe if you change employers.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Exams

With all the new stuff coming out, it's useful to at least do the online training. If anything, you at least learn the differences from predecessor models, new features, and little tips and tricks that are useful in the field. Even on years where the manufacturer might not have come out with anything new, I'm usually able to find hours upon hours of "new" training that I haven't done before. Always something out there to learn.

As far as the Instructor led training, which is way more hands-on, usually you can get a couple different boxes under your belt (a color, a b/w, a production), and that training will be relevant on future machines coming out, at which point the online training will usually suffice.

We may get a minor raise for completing and doing well on the 5 day certification classes, but normally just get our raises for kicking ass and taking names out in the field.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Like BC mentioned I also do trainings for myself confidence and good feeling. I also did some levels of Outward trainings as KonMin wanted from us to have atleast one certified tech for access to Infohub(mykonicaminolta equivalent for North American guys) and when I finished the tasks in short time, they denied us access just because they can
    I'm forced to use what I can dig and find CTN and it's members as a treasure of knowledge, much better and bigger than any training. I'm humbly thankful to all guys here for sharing their knowledge.
    Amen!
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Exams

Many manufacturers require their dealers to get at least one technician certified on some new models, production and high volume. This can sometimes be as simple as an online course if you are already certified on the model being replaced. If not it can be a 2 or 3 step process. Prerequisite training may be required. A new hire may need months to meet all prerequisites. Once all prerequisites are met there is a Phase 1 online training followed by a Phase 2 classroom training.