Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Which MFP angers users the least?

Having battled with our C451 for a year I'm admitting defeat and swallowing whatever pride I have left, and will get a new machine. This time with a service agreement so that I can hand any problems off to professionals such as your wonderful selves.

Now I just have to decide which printer to get, and thought to ask your advice: Out of the printers listed below, is there any which infuriates you and/or users more than any other? We have ≈70 users here with varying degree of technical sophistication, so from a usability standpoint I'm interested in learning which MFP seems to enrage people the least.

Of course, if a machine is poorly designed and craps out once a week that is a red flag as well, but since we're looking at leasing as service rather than buying a machine outright I'm not as worried about getting a lemon since the leasing company will bear the cost. Feel free to set me straight about that though.

• Canon iRCADV5235i
    • Minolta beg C454e [used]
    • Minolta C300i
    • Minolta C458
    • Ricoh 3004/4505
    • Xerox beg 7845
    • Xerox C8045

I've looked through the best printer / worst printer threads, and searched for each of the models in the forum, but it's difficult for me as a layman to compare the printers – some, like the C300i, is rather new, so obviously hasn't had time to poop itself as much as older models.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated - and if I should clarify anything do let me know.

Thanks all who've patiently offered suggestions for our C451, in the threads here, here, here and here – it's greatly appreciated!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Which MFP angers users the least?

IMO "4e" model Konicas are all very reliable, I sell many refurbished units. 8 series are still fairly new, but have presented very little for us trouble so far.

Lee

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

I'd go with the C454e. The only concern is that they are getting a bit old now so the next choice would be the C458. Of course, I'm a bit biased as I only work on KM stuff.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

+3 for C454e, those are good office machines. I'm also not familiar with other models than KonMin so there may be other good candidates.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

What are you printing. High coverage thick stock stuff or office documents?
    C35's that is what angers people. Some people are just angry.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I can only speak to the ones I've had experience with.

I'm not a Xerox tech, so I can't help you there.

Canon iR AdvC5231i is a really good machine....it's an upgrade from the AdvC5000 series, which had a few issues (Mostly transfer belt related) that have since been worked out. Downside is the C5200 series is a few years old now...I think there are 1 or 2 generations newer than that. The C5500 III series I believe is the newest model.

Not a huge fan of any of the Kizolta boxes. They work great right out of the gate... but if something breaks they're not very "Tech Friendly" in my experience. The "4" series bit me in the backside a few times, but I have heard some good things about the "8" series. I've heard improvements have been made.

The Savin/Ricoh units are actually pretty good. I didn't like the 01 series very much, but each generation they seemed to get better and easier to work on.

Basically, any of these are going to work for you as far as equipment... it's all dependent on what your budget is, how much they want for service, and what you need it to do (CHECK THE SPEC SHEETS CLOSELY!!). Here's a news-flash....

Salesmen L I E !!!

If the sales rep says it's going to brew your coffee for you in the morning, don't believe him/her until they hand you a cup!! You MIGHT hear them say it'll run 120 lb cardstock, but check the spec sheet out... Is that from ALL the paper trays, or just the bypass? If they tell you the machine will duplex said 120 lb cardstock, don't believe it. I haven't seen MANY that can do 2-sided printing on paper that heavy for very long.

Like anything else... check other customers that have the same machine and get their opinion, and "Caveat Emptor".

Basically, any of these are going to work for you as far as equipment... it's all dependent on what your budget is, how much they want for service, and what you need it to do (CHECK THE SPEC SHEETS CLOSELY!!). Here's a news-flash....

Salesmen L I E !!!

LMAO...surely you jest?!!

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post

Salesmen L I E !!!

LMAO...surely you jest?!!

No.... Surely I Steve!

Technician

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

I've checked the specs and they're quite similar. On specs I'd go for the C300i/C458 for the lower power consumption & 20 sheet booklet folder, but as you can see some of the fields are blank since the info wasn't readily available – am I missing any important metrics?

Skärmavbild 2019-10-03 kl. 10.44.56.jpg

I haven't bothered to check on the C5200S since that's a production printer – we got an offer "in case we're ambitious", but it's not in the cards since it's many times more expensive.

As for what we're using it for: We're a non-profit artist workshop, and our 550 members all have access to the printer. In practice we see ≈70 users, and they print everything from small exhibition catalogues (full colour booklets) to transparencies used as originals for silkscreen/polymer, to their train tickets and course handouts.

Because the mixed uses I'd like a machine which is as simple to use as possible: You might want to increase contrast when printing/copying on transparencies for polymer UV-exposure, so the settings can't be too far buried or unintuitive. If a machine is more forgiving for the occasional use of bulkier/thinner paper that would be a plus, as we see some of that.

I'd gladly take any additional comments on the listed printers if you have them – right now I'm comparing spec sheets, sales talk, price and your opinion, and want to arrive at a conclusion by tomorrow…

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Well, the way you put it in your post tells me you work around a bunch of pissed off, negative people, and no matter what you get they will still be pissed off at it. Some people just love to hate the copier. The service agreement is a good idea.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING