Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Harmless whining.

Re: Harmless whining.

We use Eauto and Remote tech as well - has negated paper logs - but I feel your pain and if i caught one of my techs doing that it would be a write up...not just a warning or a talking to.

When I was a field tech only; those were the times I have just packed up my shit and brought copies of the log/pm sheets..etc..back to the boss and refuse to work on it...send the dipstick that started this mess back there, i'm not a janitor.
    ..i think that is about the time when the company switched things around to having assigned techs in area's / machine types.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    The problem with a hard copy left in machine is that a competing sales person would bring it out to show the customer how 'poorly' their current service company is taking care of their machine.
    Been there, got the T-Shirt.

If you don’t list every little maintenance item, they try to hold it it against you.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I love paper logs..I have a spiral notebook I keep next to my phone..Every tech or customer problem is noted..I can turn a page or 2 to find my info..Searching email can be a waste of time. E

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I've been fighting that for the past year or so, I took over another techs territory, who was a good tech, but seldom reset counters. Most our machines reset most of the stuff automatically. But one of the locations I took over has two Canon image presses, which reset nothing, and resetting drum and Dev counters are weird, and that customer is extremely picky about their output, so whenever I'd run into an issue, I never knew what actual parts were at. But then again, there, the counter isn't any help, I just replaced a drum that was only at like 35%.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Harmless whining.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    I've been fighting that for the past year or so, I took over another techs territory, who was a good tech, but seldom reset counters. Most our machines reset most of the stuff automatically. But one of the locations I took over has two Canon image presses, which reset nothing, and resetting drum and Dev counters are weird, and that customer is extremely picky about their output, so whenever I'd run into an issue, I never knew what actual parts were at. But then again, there, the counter isn't any help, I just replaced a drum that was only at like 35%.

When you have a customer who is very picky and the previous tech has not left you with good service records about the only thing you can do is PM everything to bring the machine up to optimal performance and then reset all the counters. Inspect the parts removed and use them for when you have a catastrophic failure and don't have time to wait for new parts to come in.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Harmless whining.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    So you show up at a call ... by all appearances every part on the machine is worn out. Next step: print off the maintenance counters. What do you see? After 2 years and 1.3M prints the part counters have never been reset with a parts replacement.

So you look into the history ... a drum was replaced last call. Which? Who knows? The tech could not spare a single character to specify (C-M-Y-K). The previous call was jamming. Do you suppose there was a jam code listed? Of course not.

Does this piss anybody off?
    We have these tools available to help us. Why not use them? Hey, I need all the help I can get. =^..^=
    I usually ignore all of the History (if there is any written in the Service Log or whatever) and start with my own standard methods to fix the issues and after that, if there is time, I will check the Service Log :P
    There is so much to say about these kind of situations and the negative results because of that. I think all the service teams in the world have at least one tech "a bit different than the others". We are humans and learn from mistakes, not all of us.
    Last edited by Blizzoo; 11-25-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzoo View Post
    We are humans and learn from mistakes, not all of us.
    Not all of us are humans, or not all of us learn from our mistakes? Although, I tend to agree with both statements. ;-)

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    When you have a customer who is very picky and the previous tech has not left you with good service records about the only thing you can do is PM everything to bring the machine up to optimal performance and then reset all the counters. Inspect the parts removed and use them for when you have a catastrophic failure and don't have time to wait for new parts to come in.
    That customer, I've got a full set of all image components in my car. Drums, developers, belt, inner and outer charge rollers, Coronas, the works. I've got it straightened out by now, I just waited till I ran into problems then went down a check list in my head replacing parts, clearing counters as I go. I'm kept pretty well stocked on new parts, that I see using used parts as more of a hindrance. Usually at that customer, they are able to work around issues anyway, by either shifting things to the defects get cut off, or aren't on the page size, and they've got two of these, so even with one totally down for a day or two if I've got to order some oddball part, they don't have to totally halt production. But usually, those devices run around the clock, especially with big jobs, they'll let them run all night, unsupervised, or with email alerts for jams, toner, etc.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Harmless whining.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    Not all of us are humans, or not all of us learn from our mistakes? Although, I tend to agree with both statements. ;-)
    Steve,
    Come on Brother,
    I've told you before.. I AM NOT from pluto!
    Please Bro try to get it right.... k?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Steve,
    Come on Brother,
    I've told you before.. I AM NOT from pluto!
    Please Bro try to get it right.... k?

You can’t fool me dude. Nanu-nanu!