Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Let the truth be known

Re: Let the truth be known

Quote Originally Posted by davidmtupper View Post
    How many blacks do you hear using the n word? And don't tell me it's a cultural thing, words belong to all people. Do you have a problem with people making anti-white statements? That has never been blocked on twitter or most social media. There will always be people with prejudices, you can choose to ignore them and thus deny them an audience. Denying them a right to speak, however horrible their ideas, is wrong. Counter their ideas with your own and with facts (hard for you and BSM, I know, but try) but don't try to silence anyone. If you are allowed to do that to anyone then someday someone will do it to you, are you prepared for that?. If you support censorship for anything then you can't claim to be for freedom in any meaningful way, because freedom starts with the freedom to speak and think (the two are so intertwined as to be inseparable).
    Hear hear

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Let the truth be known

Let the truth be known

Believe it or not, but back in the day, liberals used to be a strong advocate for free speech. They would say things like: "I disagree with offensive language, but I'll die fighting for your right to say it."

The new breed of liberals believe in absolute power and control. I believe suppression of free speech is dangerous.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Let the truth be known

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Believe it or not, but back in the day, liberals used to be a strong advocate for free speech. They would say things like: "I disagree with offensive language, but I'll die fighting for your right to say it."

The new breed of liberals believe in absolute power and control. I believe suppression of free speech is dangerous.
    JFK was the last of the true liberals.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Let the truth be known

Quote Originally Posted by davidmtupper View Post
    How many blacks do you hear using the n word? And don't tell me it's a cultural thing, words belong to all people. Do you have a problem with people making anti-white statements? That has never been blocked on twitter or most social media. There will always be people with prejudices, you can choose to ignore them and thus deny them an audience. Denying them a right to speak, however horrible their ideas, is wrong. Counter their ideas with your own and with facts (hard for you and BSM, I know, but try) but don't try to silence anyone. If you are allowed to do that to anyone then someday someone will do it to you, are you prepared for that?. If you support censorship for anything then you can't claim to be for freedom in any meaningful way, because freedom starts with the freedom to speak and think (the two are so intertwined as to be inseparable).
    In theory, that's all well and good. But in practice, again using this forum as an example, the conservatives are all for "free speech" as long as it's them directing it towards someone else. As soon as the "free speech" begins to be directed towards them they cry and display their victimhood. And then they block whomever was directing the "free speech" towards them. It's a pattern repeated quite often.

Let the truth be known

Keeping on the Free Speech topic. Liberals have a rough time understanding what free speech means. It doesn't mean that you can come to my house or place of business wearing your Black Lives Matter garb or spout off about global warming. No. It means that the government can't suppress free speech unless it poses a danger to the public. For instance: you can't yell fire in a crowded room.

Let the truth be known

PS - There is a debate to be had about free speeh on the social media sites. I'm kind of on the fence. However, liberals (including copier addict) argued that Twitter can do what they wanted because they were a private company. Just another example of talking out both sides of his ass.

Let the truth be known

There's a big story breaking over on Twitter. Elon put some info out and apparently the Biden team was colluding with Twitter to suppress information about Hunter and him.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Let the truth be known

Keeping on the Free Speech topic. Liberals have a rough time understanding what free speech means. It doesn't mean that you can come to my house or place of business wearing your Black Lives Matter garb or spout off about global warming. No. It means that the government can't suppress free speech unless it poses a danger to the public. For instance: you can't yell fire in a crowded room.
    Unless the building really is on fire.

A lot of people regardless of their political affiliation do not fully understand most of what is in the Constitution and amendments. Most of that is a failure of our public school system. There was a time when there weren't many books around for people and especially children to be reading with the exception of the Bible and for most schools at least one copy of the Constitution.

What I learned by the time I was in 4th grade concerning the 1st Amendment was that the freedom of speech related directly to political speech. Everyone in America has the right to get up on a soap box advocate what ever political idea he or she has. At the same time, everyone else has the right to ignore and walk on as well as the responsibility to not take offense.

When it comes top the "Freedom of the press" portion of the 1st Amendment a study of other letters and documents written by some of the writers of the Constitution reveals that it was more a freedom to investigate than to say what ever you wanted,often without any investigation to back up what you report. What I remember from grade school relating to the freedom of the press was the phrase "in order to ensure a fully informed public." you cannot fully inform the public unless you fully investigate. Somewhere over the centuries, the desire to be the first to publish a story over weighed the importance to fully investigate.

There is also a final portion of the 1st Amendment that seems to be totally ignored. "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    Let the truth be known

PS - There is a debate to be had about free speeh on the social media sites. I'm kind of on the fence. However, liberals (including copier addict) argued that Twitter can do what they wanted because they were a private company. Just another example of talking out both sides of his ass.
    Twitter is a private company. They can do what they want. I couldn't care less if Musk burns it to the ground or turns it into a fortune 500 company. Why do you continue to reference me when you are ignoring me for my "free speech". Talk about a hypocrite.