Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Medical Field Service Engineer?

Hi all,

I've heard of a few occasions where MFD Engineers have made the jump into the medical world, and I've been trying to do some research into it...except I can barely find any information about it online, there doesn't seem to be a forum like copytechnet for that particular industry to find out what it's like.

Anyone know of people that have made the jump? Can you just walk into the role with years of copier experience and manufacturer training behind your belt or is it not that simple? What are the similarities and differences between copiers and medical engineering on a day to day basis in the UK?

Many thanks

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Medical Field Service Engineer?

The company I worked had another copier tech years ago who decided to become a respiratory technician, the field that his wife was in.

Technician

Linn State Tech college in Mo was considering a program in this field at one time, I spoke to the gentleman in charge of this a few years back. He stated that it was a good job, IF you could get hired. Very few openings and you almost needed some kink of connection with the hospital. As an aside, about 25 years ago I applied for a general electronics repair job at UMC hospital, the lady taking the apps admitted the the job seekers numbered in the 200 range. Needless to say, that didn’t work out.
    I know that all copier techs have received training that never ends, the problem is most of this training doesn’t crossover to any other occupation.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Years ago a couple of guys left the company to work on ATMs and retail scanners, the transition was smooth.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Years ago a couple of guys left the company to work on ATMs and retail scanners, the transition was smooth.
    Your GENERAL mechanical and electronic skills will crossover to many different vocations. However the training provided by manufacturers is usually very specific, almost brand specific sometimes. My previous employer attempted to hold the techs financially responsible for this cost, if they left in a 6 months or so after a training class. This wasn’t exactly fair, being as the classes were almost worthless in another job field

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

In the recent past, Toshiba had in my territory six medical techs and one service manager who primarily serviced multi-million $ CT imaging machines, other imaging machines and annual service contracts.

It was not uncommon to send a tech to Japan for two weeks and spend upwards of $250k over time to get that tech trained to a very high standard.

You will be on call 24/7 and have to cover a large territory. It may not be the territory in which you currently reside. You will be well paid and have a life long stable career.

As the demands for healthcare hardware technology can only increase, so do the opportunities.

No one ever died from a copier that did not work properly and on time but someone can die if a CT machine images a blood vessel two mm off where it is suppose to be.

You need to get a job servicing medical equipment in a healthcare center with a few years experience before you will be considered to be hired on by a national vendor.

Another good opportunity is as a solar panel or wind turbine engineer.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post

Is he or she doing ok/well for themselves?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by havokprod View Post

To be an ATM/ Scanner tech is no better financially than a copier tech except you are on call 24/7.

I have worked with a few dealers where the copier techs were cross trained on ATMs. You will drive a lot of km/ miles in all weather. Eventually the copier dealers gave up the ATM business because the techs did not want to drive that much especially in the winter.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

When working for Toshiba eid direct, we had a relationship with the other divisions and had a few techs move business groups. But in the last few years I've had a few friends start working with a dental equipment firm one got a job then got 2 more in. Interesting work a bit more travel, not a huge amount more money but better. Just have to work with dentists

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by havokprod View Post
    All was good the last time I spoke with them.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING