Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    The worst industry to install/service copiers for.

Re: The worst industry to install/service copiers for.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    a lumber processing plant from log to 2x4 mfp in every stage of the process
    Ah yes, saw dust.

Try an almond processing plant. The almond dust will get into anything including the mini push buttons that Ricoh used for a lot of door switches and their paper size switches.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

I look after a large construction company all printers installed in port-a-cabins cold & damp in the winter roasting hot & humid in the summer not to mention super dusty & operated by heavy handed builders!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Wow! Unless I missed it no one said schools. Teachers are the worse & not far behind in 2nd place are car dealerships / salesman!

As far as slaughterhouse accounts, I wouldn't be able to do it. As an animal lover I couldn't even pull into parking lot. I actually avoid driving past a slaughterhouse when I do a service call for an account in rural PA. I know what you are thinking, this guy is a real pussy. Ha-ha guess I'am when it comes to that.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Wow! Unless I missed it no one said schools. Teachers are the worse & not far behind in 2nd place are car dealerships / salesman

Yeah schools are in my top 3 worse users they cant clear a simple jam without breaking some part off!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Oh yeah forgot one, any office with smokers. Not only does the machine and optics have a coating of yellow tar on them but you leave smelling like smoke. Used to be a smoker for 25 yrs and it still bothers me. These are the days I have a hard time convincing my wife when she smells smoke on me that I wasn't at a strip club stuffing dollars on lunch break!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Wow! Unless I missed it no one said schools. Teachers are the worse & not far behind in 2nd place are car dealerships / salesman!

As far as slaughterhouse accounts, I wouldn't be able to do it. As an animal lover I couldn't even pull into parking lot. I actually avoid driving past a slaughterhouse when I do a service call for an account in rural PA. I know what you are thinking, this guy is a real pussy. Ha-ha guess I'am when it comes to that.
    Ever notice that the higher the grade level, the dumber the teachers seem to be?

Elementary schools are normally very easy to work with, while junior highs are a bit tougher.

High schools are a nightmare...colleges are impossible.

We once had a few Canon machines at a laboratory that did the dreaded experiments on animals that literally make you cringe; no need for detail there. All in the name of medicine. Fortunately, and thankfully, those areas were well separated from any of the areas we ever had access to.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dinnerset View Post
    Pretty easy one. Real estate. Wont go into details. Anyone who has had to maintain copiers for these awful people will understand.
    Do you feel like an indentured servant? Below their standards? No matter what you do they are never appreciative, almost like you are inconveniencing them ( you can hear them huff and puff in the background as you are confiquring their devices). They insist on using a wireless connection even though 100 other agents are pulling off the bandwidth and when the print job renders...it's the copiers fault. They can never come to the office on your time, it always has to be when they can make it... and heaven forbid our techs are busy when it is convenient for them. Then when you send them a charge for the service call, they do not want to pay it or do not understand why they are being charged? Oh, one more thing, they can not understand why they just can't scan wirelessly because they can do it at their house printer? ... Shall I go on?
    I know many IT companies or persons that will not touch a real estate office because of some of the above mentioned issues.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

When doing color calibration, I would print off a test target and before I could reach for it an agent would grab it. Then scowl at me: "That's not what I printed!" Then I would hold up the Cat5 cable. This is why it's not printing now. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post

Yeah schools are in my top 3 worse users they cant clear a simple jam without breaking some part off!
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Ever notice that the higher the grade level, the dumber the teachers seem to be?

Elementary schools are normally very easy to work with, while junior highs are a bit tougher.

High schools are a nightmare...colleges are impossible.
    I hate to disagree with you folks but schools were some of my best customers. Of course my boss knew most of the people in the district offices and did a great job of training teachers. I even had production machines in 1 high school and 3 elementary school districts.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

I wasn't doing copiers at the time; (327x) control units in a shipbuilding business - the sandblasting of huge sheets of metal got everywhere. Piles of rusted metal got into everything. A secured employment!
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --