Page 36 of 1541 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546861365361036 ... LastLast

Re: Latest on the Corona Virus

Whatever

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Latest on the Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    All the best for you guys. Yea being turned away for lab tests are unacceptable.

My friend in Cape Town ZA got exposed, him and the entire company he works for.
    Cost him about R1000 or $60US to get tested, private pathologists that is.
    young people here are clogging the testing... hospitals are turning 21-40yrs away for the sniffles and aches THINKING their infected... but rather that STAY HOME and monitor themselves ( least in risk)

no they go out and don't follow the guidelines... sneezing into bare hands then touching packages and putting them back on shelves.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    The good news: I have plenty of beer, food, medicine, entertainment, and time to spring clean!

The bad news: My family and I are in quarantine after my youngest (who has always had minor respiratory issues) and myself developed symptoms and tested negative for all the other crap.

The Problem: We don’t know what we have, and 3 local health departments have told us “we don’t fit the criteria” to be tested, even with a doctor’s referral! WTF!? 22 “confirmed cases” in my state.

So, we’re just hunkering down now, and we’ll see where this all goes, not too worried, pretty sure my daughter and I are on the up and up now, and over the worst of it (we were really bad for about 4 days).

Anybody else hearing anything like this in your areas as far as testing? I understand that they’re more than likely shorthanded on tests and inundated with patients, and even if you were to get tested and it was positive there’s really not much you can do about it, but if they want an accurate count, they shouldn’t be turning potential carriers away from testing. IMO
    There are drive up test stations being setup here in Bakersfield. There are 2 tents. At the first tent they will take your temperature and question you to determine if you are exhibiting two or more of the following symptoms:
    Fever must be over a set level
    Dry cough no phlegm being up
    Fatigue
    Shortness of breath
    If you have two or more you are given a card/token/etc to take to the second tent where they take you inside the building where the test sample is actually taken. If not they refer you to the Urgent Care facility.

Things that you might have include pneumonia, tuberculosis or valley fever. Doctors in your area may not properly recognize and diagnose valley fever as it is a fungal infection that is usually found only in certain parts of the world.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    young people here are clogging the testing... hospitals are turning 21-40yrs away for the sniffles and aches THINKING their infected... but rather that STAY HOME and monitor themselves ( least in risk)

no they go out and don't follow the guidelines... sneezing into bare hands then touching packages and putting them back on shelves.
    I figure that my age (29) was a factor in being denied. I wasn’t worried about me.
    It was our soon to be 5 year old I was worried about (labored breathing, 103 degree fever, terrible dry cough). I think that since we had brought her temperature down with Motrin, and she was breathing a little better once we arrived at the doctors (through a side door into a back room), that maybe that’s why she didn’t fit the criteria.

We have also seen the throngs of kids and others that have gone against the advice. Now that K-12 and colleges have been suspended (at least in my state), they are everywhere in groups. Early summer vacation for them to an extent, and some irresponsible parents to blame.
    We have plenty of family and friends that have helped to make it a worry-free quarantine experience.
    Not to mention a very understanding employer!
    Omertà

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    I figure that my age (29) was a factor in being denied. I wasn’t worried about me.
    It was our soon to be 5 year old I was worried about (labored breathing, 103 degree fever, terrible dry cough). I think that since we had brought her temperature down with Motrin, and she was breathing a little better once we arrived at the doctors (through a side door into a back room), that maybe that’s why she didn’t fit the criteria.

We have also seen the throngs of kids and others that have gone against the advice. Now that K-12 and colleges have been suspended (at least in my state), they are everywhere in groups. Early summer vacation for them to an extent, and some irresponsible parents to blame.
    We have plenty of family and friends that have helped to make it a worry-free quarantine experience.
    Not to mention a very understanding employer!

Just an FYI for you. Health experts are suggesting people don't use ibuprofen based products (Motrin, Advil, etc) for treating Covid symptoms. They say to use acetaminophen based products (Tylenol, Excedrin, etc). Something to do with ibuprofen messing with the immune response.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    Just an FYI for you. Health experts are suggesting people don't use ibuprofen based products (Motrin, Advil, etc) for treating Covid symptoms. They say to use acetaminophen based products (Tylenol, Excedrin, etc). Something to do with ibuprofen messing with the immune response.
    It is this rumor out of Europe that has now created a run on Tylenol/acetaminophen. Many stores and online are now out and people with chronic pain for whom acetaminophen was the only thing that gave them relief short of narcotics are now having trouble getting it.

One other thing to remember, acetaminophen is a pain reliever only. It does nothing for fever or inflammation.

certified scrub 500+ Posts

heart medicine

tl;dr virus protein spikes(crowns) attach to ace2 receptor, mentioned medication or drugs increases ace2 receptors... ie. easier for virus to grab and attach... hence high risk over certain age group and/or have health conditions.
    Last edited by jmaister; 03-20-2020 at 05:05 AM.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

certified scrub 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    It is this rumor out of Europe that has now created a run on Tylenol/acetaminophen. Many stores and online are now out and people with chronic pain for whom acetaminophen was the only thing that gave them relief short of narcotics are now having trouble getting it.

One other thing to remember, acetaminophen is a pain reliever only. It does nothing for fever or inflammation.

This talks about it briefly.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

This is the drug recently being dyscussed as having potential to treat COVID-19. Even if only partially effective it will definitely help "flatten the curve."

Israeli Company to Donate 6 Million Tablets of Drug to U.S. That Could Help Against Coronavirus

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I saw something about that a week or so ago.
    Just checked and now the World Health Organization says “it’s fine to use”.
    A French healthcare professional was the one who started that rumor, but it has now been “debunked”.
    Omertà