Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Latest on the Corona Virus

Re: Latest on the Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Here in the USA all I had to do was make one phone call and boom I received the vaccine. If you call in Canada they will hang up on you unless you're 80 or older.
    Fake news! My wife got vaccinated yesterday after booking an online appointment five days earlier. Her appointment went fast. All recipients have to mandatory sit down for 15 minutes after they get their shot. She also rec'd a digital immunization record emailed to her which detailed when she has to return for her second shot.

I could have got vaccinated this week but because it is my business year end this month, I decided not to. I will get vaccinated in early April.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    COVID-19 variants like B117, which is thought to have originated in the U.K., now account for a high proportion of new cases and make up half of all new cases in some areas Canada. There are roughly 3,000 new cases being reported each day nationwide, up from about 2,000 a month ago.

While the USA is enjoying some great progress in vaccinating its population, variants are also starting to explode in the USA. The recent Spring Break in the USA and the sudden burst in air travel across the country is accelerating COVID-19 infections amongst those many people not yet vaccinated.

It appears that SSG can't mount a good defense for Trudeau any longer. All I hear is crickets. Canada - Welcome to Jungle baby...you're gonna die.

Fake news! My 62 year old wife got vaccinated yesterday after booking an online appointment five days earlier.

I could have got vaccinated this week but because it is my business year end this month, I decided not to. I will get vaccinated in early April.

You read the stats in Canada. Facts first. Science first. Stop lying to folks. Canada is among the worst in the world with vaccinations.

Dude, you can't take 5 minutes out of your schedule to get a life saving vaccine? I call bullshit. Major Bullshit.

PS - Here's an idea. Stop spending all your time on this site and go get the shot. LOL

Good News your not last Mississippi Slipped # 48 now in Vaccinations that's just embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Dude, you can't take 5 minutes out of your schedule to get a life saving vaccine? I call bullshit. Major Bullshit.

PS - Here's an idea. Stop spending all your time on this site and go get the shot. LOL
    I live in one of the safest places in the world from COVID-19 with 5 new cases reported today all of which are close contacts of previously reported cases. Plus I have my COVID-19 app and my mask to help keep me safe.

I have tremendously increased my ability to remotely service copier customers without the need to travel. This new skill will stay with me long after the pandemic is brought under control in Canada.

Canada expects to receive 1.5M AstraZeneca doses on loan from the USA next week.

Canada is unlikely to see any American tourists in summer 2021.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 03-27-2021 at 04:35 AM.

I live in one of the safest places in the world from COVID-19 with 5 new cases reported today all of which are close contacts of previously reported cases. Plus I have my COVID-19 app and my mask to help keep me safe.

I have tremendously increased my ability to remotely service copier customers without the need to travel. This new skill will stay with me long after the pandemic is brought under control in Canada.

Canada expects to receive 1.5M AstraZeneca doses from India next week.

Canada is unlikely to see any American tourists in summer 2021.

I don't see the logic in what you said earlier. You said you were too busy to go get the vaccine at this time. But how is it that you can spend so much time on this site? I believe I caught you in a lie.

Why this former anti-vaxx influencer is getting the Covid vaccine

Heather Simpson had a following online due to her anti-vaccine beliefs. Now, she worries the anti-vaccine misinformation she promoted hurt other children.

Why this former anti-vaxx influencer is getting the Covid vaccine - CNN Video

Rutgers Will Require COVID-19 Vaccines For All Students
    Rutgers announced Thursday it will require all 71,000 students who wish to return to campus to be vaccinated against the coronavirus

Live TV
    Here's why voting rights activists say Georgia's new election law targets Black voters
    By Fredreka Schouten, CNN
    Updated 8:22 PM EDT, Fri March 26, 2021

(CNN)Republicans in Georgia on Thursday passed a far-reaching overhaul of the state's election laws that voting rights groups say will target the Black residents who make up roughly a third of the state's population.

African Americans in Georgia proved crucial to recent Democratic victories, helping the party win the White House and seize the majority in the US Senate. Exit polls show 88% of the Black electorate supported President Joe Biden last November. And in January, Democratic Sens. Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock saw even bigger support, capturing 92% and 93% of the Black vote in their runoff elections, respectively.

Here are several provisions of the new law that voting rights activists argue could harm Black Georgians and other voters of color in the state:

Identification for absentee voting
    In last year's general election, a record 1.3 million Georgians -- or more than a quarter of the 2020 electorate -- voted absentee amid the coronavirus pandemic. And a greater share of Black Georgians than White residents cast their ballots remotely.

The new law does away with signature matching to identify voters who cast absentee ballots. Instead, voters requesting an absentee ballot now will have to provide the number of their Georgia's driver's license number or state identification, along with other identifying information such as their date of birth. Those who lack those forms of identification can submit copies of other paperwork, such as a copy of a bank statement or a current utility bill.

Voting rights groups say the new requirements erect too many barriers.

In all, about 200,000 Georgians lack a driver's license or state identification card, state figures show. And a lawsuit challenging the Georgia law filed Thursday night on behalf of three voting rights groups -- The New Georgia Project, Black Voters Matter Fund and Rise, Inc. -- argues that Black voters are less likely than other voters to have the identification now required.

Long lines
    During last June's primary, some voters stood for hours in the Georgia heat to cast their ballots, and voting stretched on for hours after polls were supposed to close.

An analysis of data collected by Georgia Public Broadcasting and ProPublica found a significant disparity in who had to wait the longest: The average wait time after the 7 p.m. scheduled poll-closing time was 51 minutes in polling places that were 90% or more non-White. But it was just six minutes in polling places where 90% of the voters were White.

Voting rights advocates say that makes it all the more troubling that Georgia's law now makes it a misdemeanor to approach a voter in line to provide food or water.

Provisional ballots
    Previously Georgia voters could cast provisional ballots if they showed up at the wrong precinct, and their votes still would count once the board of elections determined that they had cast their ballots in the right county.

The new law tosses out all out-of-precinct votes cast before 5 p.m.

The lawsuit brought by the voting rights groups argues that Black voters are more likely than White voters to move frequently. As a result, they are more likely to change precincts and show up at the wrong one on Election Day, activists argue.

Bans mobile units
    Fulton County, where roughly 45% of the population is African American, bought RV-sized mobile voting units to encourage early voting and reduce long lines on Election Day.

The law now bans their use.

Voting hours and drop boxes
    The law now requires officials to house drop boxes for absentee ballots inside early voting locations, which limits their usefulness. The law also specifies that early voting hours must run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., but it gives county registrars the flexibility to extend hours to 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Voting advocates argue that Black voters are more likely to work multiple jobs than Georgians of other races and limiting their access to drop boxes closes off yet another avenue to the franchise.

Voter challenges
    The law says any Georgian can challenge the voting eligibility of an unlimited number of voters. Activists say this will make it to easier for conservative groups to attempt to purge large groups of Black voters or others they think will support Democrats.

The NAACP Legal Defense Fund argues it could lead to "unchecked voter intimidation."

Attempts to challenge voters' eligibility are not new. Ahead of January US Senate runoffs, Texas-based conservative organization True the Vote paired up with the Georgia Republican Party and tried to challenge more than 360,000 Georgia voters that it said may have changed addresses. Most counties declined to take up the matter.

Georgia's law adds a new provision that allows the State Elections Board to sanction counties that refuse to comply with the provision allowing unlimited challenges.