Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Latest on the Corona Virus

Re: Latest on the Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... because all you ever want to do is argue.

The thing that I argue with you the most about is your refusal to answer a simple damn question. You're always playing the victim when you don't' want to answer.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    We're making a little progress. Baby steps, I suppose. But progress nonetheless.

You admit that you choose to alter your mind for recreation. That's your choice. We still haven't gotten to the reason why you choose to do it? Is the daily pressure too much for you? There's always a reason...even if you haven't examined the reason.
    I also chose to play the guitar for the last 30 years, so I must have a deeper rooted problem. Maybe I just like music...?

I choose to garden because after working with all this high tech shit all day, I just wanna dig in the dirt. Yep, severe mental issues going on....or maybe I just like gardening...?

The same argument could be made for those who do not drink or smoke...why not ? Is there some deep rooted phobia that keeps you from living your life ?

Nope, those are called choices.

I find it funny how, in one breath, you state weed is not evil but then attempt to convince me that mental problems must come with smoking it....... are you high Billy ?

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Another shipping crisis looms on Covid fears in southern China

• Businesses and consumers are bracing for another shipping crisis, as a virus outbreak in southern China disrupts port services and delays deliveries, threatening to drive up costs again.
    • “The disruptions in Shenzhen and Guangzhou are absolutely massive. Alone, they would have an unprecedented supply chain impact,” said Brian Glick, founder and CEO at supply chain integration platform Chain.io.
    • Waiting times for vessels to berth at the Yantian International Container Terminal in Shenzhen have “skyrocketed” from an average waiting time of 0.5 days to 16 days, according to Shehrina Kamal at Everstream Analytics

First, it was a critical shortage of shipping containers due to the pandemic. Then came a massive blockage in the Suez Canal.

Now, businesses and consumers are bracing for yet another shipping crisis, as a virus outbreak in southern China disrupts port services and delays deliveries, driving up costs again.

The Chinese province of Guangdong has faced a sudden uptick in Covid-19 cases. Authorities have moved to shut down districts and businesses to prevent the virus from spreading rapidly.

That’s causing massive shipping delays in major Chinese ports, and jacking up already-high shipping costs as waiting times at berth “skyrocketed,” according to analysts and those in the shipping industry.

“The disruptions in Shenzhen and Guangzhou are absolutely massive. Alone, they would have an unprecedented supply chain impact,” said Brian Glick, founder and CEO at supply chain integration platform Chain.io, told CNBC.

However, combined with the challenges that the global supply chain has faced since this year, shipping is in “absolutely uncharted waters,” said Glick.

Guangdong, a major shipping hub, accounts for about 24% of China’s total exports. It is also home to the Shenzhen port and the Guangzhou port — which are the third largest and the fifth largest in the world by container volume, according to the World Shipping Council.

The first local case of the Delta variant, first detected in India, was found in Guangzhou in Mayand has since spiked to over 100 cases. Authorities have imposed lockdowns and other measures that constrain the processing capacity at ports.

As different parts of the world bounced back from the pandemic late last year, there was a buying boom which led to containers falling critically short. That caused massive delays in the shipping of goods from China to Europe and the U.S. and drove up prices for businesses and consumers.

Then one of the largest container ships in the world, the Ever Given, got stuck in the Suez Canal and blocked the key trading route for nearly a week. About 12% of global trade passes through the Suez Canal, where more than 50 ships a day on average pass through.

The incident sparked a global shipping crisis and held up $9 billion in international trade a day.

Now, the most recent crisis, in southern China, is disrupting the global supply chain again.

Shipping costs are at all-time highs ... We’ve broken through so many price ceilings that nobody can say where this will peak.

Brian Glick
    founder and CEO, Chain.io

JP Wiggins, vice president of corporate development at shipping software firm 3GTMS, told CNBC the port crisis in China will cause much more disruption for the American consumer as many of the affected shipments are destined for North America.

Spiking shipping costs have been a direct effect from the crisis.

“Many small- and mid-sized shippers are throwing up their hands as the cost of shipping is surpassing the margins on the products they’re trying to move,” Glick said. “Shipping costs are at all-time highs with anecdotal quotes coming in at 5 to 10 times historical norms. We’ve broken through so many price ceilings that nobody can say where this will peak.”

By the way, for all of you pot-heads out there...

I'm for legalizing all drugs. ALL DRUGS.

Not because I think they'e good or anything like that. I want to put the gang bangers out of business. I want to put the Mexican Drug Cartel out of business. And anyone else that is selling drugs illegally. The war on drugs has been a big failure.

However, just because I think they should be legal doesn't mean I think you should be getting high. I think people that need to alter their mind are weak. Weak minded.

By the way, for all of you pot-heads out there...

I'm for legalizing all drugs. ALL DRUGS.

Not because I think they'e good or anything like that. I want to put the gang bangers out of business. I want to put the Mexican Drug Cartel out of business. And anyone else that is selling drugs illegally. The war on drugs has been a big failure.

However, just because I think they should be legal doesn't mean I think you should be getting high. I think people that need to alter their mind are weak. Weak minded.
    18% of US adults drink
    12% of US adults smoke marijuana

Love these old timey terms..."gang banger", "pusher man".
    I cant believe nobody has said "gateway drug" yet .

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    18% of US adults drink
    12% of US adults smoke marijuana

Love these old timey terms..."gang banger", "pusher man".
    I cant believe nobody has said "gateway drug" yet .

I'm sure that your intelligence is higher than what you've displayed thus far. Why are you so focused on the generational gap? Does it make you feel cool? Or is "cool" an ol' timey term, also?

By the way, "old timey" is a term that old timers use. Try using "old school"....since you're concerned about the way that you're viewed.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

We're making a little progress. Baby steps, I suppose. But progress nonetheless.

You admit that you choose to alter your mind for recreation. That's your choice. We still haven't gotten to the reason why you choose to do it? Is the daily pressure too much for you? There's always a reason...even if you haven't examined the reason.
    Might lose some "brownie points"/ respect here, but I've got to say it.

I personally know many people who enjoy the benefits of smoking a little bit of the devil's lettuce, or eating edibles, or vaping, or taking marinol tablets. The reasons vary from purely recreational (just enjoy being stoned after a good days work) to relief for medical issues (cancer/ seizures/ digestion issues/ anxiety/ etc.).

These people include but are not limited to; successful business owners, hard-working service providers such as electronics & IT techs/ HVAC/ electricians/ Nurses/ Doctors/ mechanics, amazing mothers & fathers & grandparents, children who would otherwise suffer without it, elected representatives in the community and state, and Family members. Some are "weekend warriors", others only a few times a year, and others (the majority) are everyday users.

I have never seen a problem or had a problem with weed.
    Most people just "like the way it makes them feel", Period. There's not some mental issue going on, there's not some underlying condition (unless medical), it's purely the feeling you get when you ingest it.
    Are there some people who use it to "cope with life"? Sure, but in the majority of cases.....weed isn't enough to "numb the pain and stress of life". So you see most people who can't cope with life usually go to alcohol or some other harder drug.
    It's "decriminalized" in my state, but still illegal to possess or sell, and our current governor has employed the old "reefer madness" techniques for his messaging on marijuana ("Pot kills kids" is the latest motto). So, people from our state go to Colorado and spend their money there which gives that state tax dollars that could have been spent here in Nebraska. But that's a whole other can of worms.

I'm all For Federal Legalization of The Pots!
    Omertà

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Might lose some "brownie points"/ respect here, but I've got to say it.

I personally know many people who enjoy the benefits of smoking a little bit of the devil's lettuce, or eating edibles, or vaping, or taking marinol tablets. The reasons vary from purely recreational (just enjoy being stoned after a good days work) to relief for medical issues (cancer/ seizures/ digestion issues/ anxiety/ etc.).

These people include but are not limited to; successful business owners, hard-working service providers such as electronics & IT techs/ HVAC/ electricians/ Nurses/ Doctors/ mechanics, amazing mothers & fathers & grandparents, children who would otherwise suffer without it, elected representatives in the community and state, and Family members. Some are "weekend warriors", others only a few times a year, and others (the majority) are everyday users.
    I have never seen a problem or had a problem with weed.
    Most people just "like the way it makes them feel", Period. There's not some mental issue going on, there's not some underlying condition (unless medical), it's purely the feeling you get when you ingest it.
    Are there some people who use it to "cope with life"? Sure, but in the majority of cases.....weed isn't enough to "numb the pain and stress of life". So you see most people who can't cope with life usually go to alcohol or some other harder drug.
    It's "decriminalized" in my state, but still illegal to possess or sell, and our current governor has employed the old "reefer madness" techniques for his messaging on marijuana ("Pot kills kids" is the latest motto). So, people from our state go to Colorado and spend their money there which gives that state tax dollars that could have been spent here in Nebraska. But that's a whole other can of worms.

I'm all For Federal Legalization of The Pots!

Drugs are a complicated subject for me to talk about. When I was younger, I did ALMOST every drug known to man: cocaine, LSD, extacy, weed, ect.

It all seemed like harmless fun. It all started with the weed. That led me to be introduced to folks that were doing harder drugs. Being young, I was up for just about anything. I didn't know any better.

So, that's my story. I understand that not everyone is me and therefore here is my stance:

I'd rather my son smoke weed than drink alcohol...given the choice.

Personally, I don't give a shit what drug anyone is doing. Do I think it makes them weak-minded? To be honest, I was just giving the liberals a hard time but I do think there's more to it than just "recreation". There's a lot of things to do for recreation besides altering our mind.

One more comment on "drugs".

Not everyone is the same. Back when I drank beer/whiskey/whatever, I could go out drinking 100 times. 99 of those times I was in control. The other 1 time, I was trying to fight everyone and didn't remember it the next day. It was a pattern that happened time and again. That led me to stop drinking. I've seen other people who reacted to alcohol even worse. But I've seen folks who never showed a problem at all. At least around me.

The same is true for pot in a way. I've seen people who were obsessed with it. It ran their life.

Drugs are a complicated subject for me to talk about. When I was younger, I did ALMOST every drug known to man: cocaine, LSD, extacy, weed, ect.

It all seemed like harmless fun. It all started with the weed. That led me to be introduced to folks that were doing harder drugs. Being young, I was up for just about anything. I didn't know any better.

So, that's my story. I understand that not everyone is me and therefore here is my stance:

I'd rather my son smoke weed than drink alcohol...given the choice.

Personally, I don't give a shit what drug anyone is doing. Do I think it makes them weak-minded? To be honest, I was just giving the liberals a hard time but I do think there's more to it than just "recreation". There's a lot of things to do for recreation besides altering our mind.
    So I guess my next question is the obvious one...did you use those substance because of some deep rooted cause, or mental weakness as you have suggested ? Or, did you do it for fun ?

As to your son, using your own words, if he chooses to drink or smoke, he is automatically mentally weak ?