Re: Latest on the Corona Virus

(CNN)Los Angeles County is seeing a surge in new Covid-19 coronavirus cases, topping 1,000 for the fifth straight day Wednesday, and though hospitalizations remain low, each infected patient admitted to a county hospital has not had all their vaccine shots, officials said.

"To date, we have not had a patient admitted to a [Department of Health Services] hospital who has been fully vaccinated, with either the J&J, Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. Every single patient that we've admitted for Covid is not yet fully vaccinated," county health services director Dr. Christina Ghaly told the Board of Supervisors on Tuesday.

The Department of Health Services runs four hospitals, including those affiliated with the University of California-Los Angeles and the University of Southern California, along with 19 health care centers throughout the region.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Latest on the Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    (CNN)Los Angeles County is seeing a surge in new Covid-19 coronavirus cases, topping 1,000 for the fifth straight day Wednesday, and though hospitalizations remain low, each infected patient admitted to a county hospital has not had all their vaccine shots, officials said.

"To date, we have not had a patient admitted to a [Department of Health Services] hospital who has been fully vaccinated, with either the J&J, Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. Every single patient that we've admitted for Covid is not yet fully vaccinated," county health services director Dr. Christina Ghaly told the Board of Supervisors on Tuesday.

The Department of Health Services runs four hospitals, including those affiliated with the University of California-Los Angeles and the University of Southern California, along with 19 health care centers throughout the region.

L.A. County will reinstate mask mandate as Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations rise

Los Angeles County will reinstate its mask mandate regardless of vaccination status starting 11:59 p.m. Saturday night amid a rise in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations.

The new health officer order will require masking indoors regardless of vaccination status, Los Angeles County Health Officer Dr. Muntu Davis said in a news conference Thursday.

The daily test positivity rate in Los Angeles County has risen to 3.75%, an increase from 1.2% on June 15.

The county has seen more than 1,000 new coronavirus cases each day for the past seven days, an alarming new rise as the Delta variant spreads, Davis said.

“We’re at a substantial level of community transmission and we can’t wait for this to go higher,” Davis said Thursday, announcing a new mask mandate. “Once we’re at a higher level, that will be too late.”

He explained that the county was at a low level of transmission when it reopened last month.
    “We’re in a different situation,” Davis emphasized. “This is not the same situation as it was June 15.”

Los Angeles County reported 1,537 new cases on Thursday, an 83% increase over the last week.

“Anything is on the table if things continue to get worse,” Davis said in response to a question about whether the county would consider more restrictions.

The new health officer order, which requires the use of masks indoors regardless of vaccination status, will add that extra layer of protection where the risk is higher, he said.
    The county is urging all residents to get vaccinated and has launched mobile clinics for easier access.

Los Angeles County has administered more than 10.7 million doses of the vaccine and over five million residents are fully vaccinated, according to Davis.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Sometimes when working on copiers wearing a mask is inconvenient. I show those around me my printed, credit card size COVID Immunization Report and everybody seems OK with that.
    Do they ask to see your card, or do you just flash it like a "badge of honor" to anyone that comes near you?

The only place I have been asked for vaccine information is at the old folks homes, and even then, it's not a person asking.....they have an electronic sign-in kiosk, and one of the options is "I choose not to disclose".
    Even the people at those places know that your health information should be private!
    I know tons of people who have received the vaccine, but are against "having to prove it". They don't walk around with their cards shoving it in people's faces saying, "I'm vaccinated! Look at how great I am". LOL.
    Omertà

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Do they ask to see your card, or do you just flash it like a "badge of honor" to anyone that comes near you?

The only place I have been asked for vaccine information is at the old folks homes, and even then, it's not a person asking.....they have an electronic sign-in kiosk, and one of the options is "I choose not to disclose".
    Even the people at those places know that your health information should be private!
    I know tons of people who have received the vaccine, but are against "having to prove it". They don't walk around with their cards shoving it in people's faces saying, "I'm vaccinated! Look at how great I am". LOL.
    It's his badge of " courage ".
    Frankly its no ones business.
    I don't go around flashing my CCW.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Sometimes when working on copiers wearing a mask is inconvenient. I show those around me my printed, credit card size COVID Immunization Report and everybody seems OK with that.
    As of yesterday that card is meaningless indoors in Los Angeles.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    I don't go around flashing my CCW.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You sure post about it enough. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post

Every single business that I have entered in the past month has a sign posted on the front door that wearing masks is mandatory.

Often, like yesterday, I was installing two industrial label printers at a big apple growing and processing facility, some employees inside are wearing masks and some are not.

When I am in close contact with an employee for an extended period of time and they are not wearing a mask, I ask them if I can take of my mask and tell them that I am double vaccinated.

You seem confused by personal politics that this is somehow a badge of honor. It is a common everyday courtesy where I live.

Actually, I was in New Brunswick and that province has not reported a single case of COVID in nine days. All of the locals were quick to brag about that as over 75% of the population has at least one COVID vaccination.

Every business I was in now considers vaccination a strongly encouraged condition of employment.

Covid-19 'is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated,' CDC director says

With Covid-19 cases rising in all 50 states, health officials say it's clear that unvaccinated people are both driving the increase in cases and are most at risk.

"This is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated," US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Dr. Rochelle Walensky said during Friday's White House Covid-19 briefing.

"We are seeing outbreaks of cases in parts of the country that have low vaccination coverage because unvaccinated people are at risk," Walensky said. Meantime, "communities that are fully vaccinated are generally faring well."
    Cases are rising in all 50 states and Washington, DC, with the average of new cases at least 10% higher than a week ago -- and 38 states are seeing at least a 50% increase, according to a CNN analysis of data from Johns Hopkins University.

The US recorded an average of 26,448 new cases per day over the last week -- up 67% from the week before -- and case rates are highest in states with lower vaccination rates: Among those states that have fully vaccinated less than half its residents, the average Covid-19 case rate was 11 new cases per 100,000 people last week, compared to 4 per 100,000 among states that have fully vaccinated more than half its residents.

Many experts have attributed the rise to slowing vaccination rates with only 48.3% of the US population fully vaccinated, per CDC data.

"Our biggest concern is that we are going to continue to see preventable cases, hospitalizations and, sadly, deaths among the unvaccinated," Walensky said.

The danger is fueled by the growing prevalence of the Delta variant, first identified in India. Pointing to an "extraordinary surge" of the variant worldwide, Dr. Anthony Fauci said the Delta variant now has more than 50% dominance in the US. In some areas, it's greater than 70%, he said, calling this "sobering news."

"The bottom line is we are dealing with a formidable opponent in the Delta variant," Fauci said, adding people who are not vaccinated face "extreme vulnerability."

"The good news is that if you are fully vaccinated, you are protected against severe Covid, hospitalization and death," Walensky said Friday, "and are even protected against the known variants, including the Delta variant."
    "If you are not vaccinated," she added, "you remain at risk."