Re: Latest on the Corona Virus

Mississippi governor CRUMBLES as he's called out for worst-in-the-US response to COVID

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Latest on the Corona Virus

The US death toll from Covid-19 just surpassed that of the 1918 flu pandemic

Despite all the scientific and medical advances of the past 103 years, the Covid-19 pandemic has now killed more Americans than the 1918 flu pandemic did.

More than 675,000 people in the United States have died from Covid-19, according to Johns Hopkins University. That surpasses the estimated US death toll from the deadliest pandemic of the 20th century.

"A lot of the mistakes that we definitely fell into in 1918, we hoped we wouldn't fall into in 2020,". "We did."

What's different between the two pandemics

Population: The US population is now triple what it was in 1918. So while the Covid-19 death toll may be higher, the 1918 flu pandemic apparently killed a higher proportion of Americans, Kissler said.

Vaccine availability: Back in 1918, there was no pandemic flu vaccine, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said.

The rapid spread of misinformation: The biggest disadvantage now compared to the 1918 pandemic actually involves a major technological advance. "The internet can be a double-edged sword," "It provides us with the opportunity to receive the CDC and the World Health Organization (updates) and to share information much more quickly. But that also means we can spread misinformation quickly as well."

For months, doctors have been trying to debunk popular myths shared on social media, saying they're actually jeopardizing public health and holding the country back.

What's similar between the two pandemics

Young people aren't invincible: Just because a person is young and healthy doesn't mean they can't be hit hard by a pandemic virus.

Personal responsibility matters: No matter how good the science and public health advice are, "those things are only as good as the behavioral response,"

It's possible the viruses can spread long after the pandemic: The World Health Organization defines a pandemic as the "worldwide spread" of a new disease.

But there's no precise measurement for when a pandemic is over.

While the CDC said the 1918 pandemic happened in three waves, from the spring of 1918 to the summer of 1919, the virus kept circulating seasonally for 38 years.

The virus that causes Covid-19, might also stick around for years -- even if the "pandemic" is over.

"We'll get new variants," including some that might cause reinfection. But eventually, "I do think those variants will be closely enough related, probably, to the things we've already been vaccinated against or the the things we've already been exposed to that it won't cause the same sort of severe disease."

The best way to gain protection and help this pandemic sputter out is to get vaccinated -- not wait for exposure to the virus, which could lead to long Covid, hospitalization or death.
    "Essentially, what the vaccine does is it gives you your first and second exposure for free" -- without the dangers of Covid-19.

"That's extremely helpful, and that goes a long way to reducing mortality."

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

This is difficult for me to say but there is a lot of misinformation out there and from what I can tell, most of it is coming from side - conservatives/republicans.

Personally speaking, covid is widespread here in South Mississippi and the surrounding area. It seems like I talk to someone new each day that has come down with covid. I always ask if they were vaccinated and most say no. I ask why? They usually say that they don't trust the vaccine because it was rushed or that they don't trust the government.

I'm not mad at these people. No, I feel sorry for them. The dats is undeniable and shows that the vaccine is safe. I draw the line on politics when it comes to my safety or the safety of my family. Enough is enough.

With that said, liberals aren't helping with their bullshit.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    This is difficult for me to say but there is a lot of misinformation out there and from what I can tell, most of it is coming from side - conservatives/republicans.

Personally speaking, covid is widespread here in South Mississippi and the surrounding area. It seems like I talk to someone new each day that has come down with covid. I always ask if they were vaccinated and most say no. I ask why? They usually say that they don't trust the vaccine because it was rushed or that they don't trust the government.

I'm not mad at these people. No, I feel sorry for them. The dats is undeniable and shows that the vaccine is safe. I draw the line on politics when it comes to my safety or the safety of my family. Enough is enough.

The liberals message has not changed Wear a Mask and Get the Free Vaccine it's safe and effective

Biden administration has done a great job getting the Vaccine out to everyone and is available everywhere.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post

Sounds like instead of issuing mandates, the government needs to start building public trust. And that means that they start telling the whole truth about the virus, the vaccines and their possible side effects and the numerous treatments that are out there and work. Hydroxychloroquine works and could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives since last April. But President Trump proposed it and the liberals knew that if they didn't demonize it and stop it from being used nationwide, Trump would easily win re-election.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Sounds like instead of issuing mandates, the government needs to start building public trust. And that means that they start telling the whole truth about the virus, the vaccines and their possible side effects and the numerous treatments that are out there and work. Hydroxychloroquine works and could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives since last April. But President Trump proposed it and the liberals knew that if they didn't demonize it and stop it from being used nationwide, Trump would easily win re-election.
    This is the PROBLEM AH like YOU Hydroxychloroquine DOES NOTHING Againt Covid19 PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet you got the Free Vaccine and continue to promote FAKE BS treatments.

Get the FREE Vaccine

HAY Florida has 3 millions doses YOU want to buy them?

For sale in Oklahoma: a large stockpile of hydroxychloroquine.

Madi Wilson said COVID-19 ' hits very hard." (Delly Carr/Swimming Australia via Getty Images)
    Olympic gold medalist Madi Wilson revealed on Monday that she's been hospitalized with COVID-19.

The Australian swimmer who won Olympic gold in 4x100 freestyle in Rio (2016) and Tokyo (2021) made the announcement on Instagram, writing that she's "extremely disappointed and upset not to be racing along side my teammates" in an International Swimming League competition.

"It’s been a crazy few months and I believe being run down physically and mentally may have made me more susceptible," Wilson wrote. "I feel extremely unlucky but I do believe this is a huge wake up call.

"Covid is a serious thing and when it comes it hits very hard. I'd be stupid to say I wasn't scared."

Wilson has 'underlying chest and lung issues'
    Wilson wrote that she's "double vaccinated" and described her hospitalization as "precautionary." She posted in subsequent Instagram stories that she has "underlying chest and lung issues" and believes that receiving the vaccine prevented her case from being worse.

"Mostly I just wanted to jump on and continue to encourage people to get vaccinated," Wilson said. "I did end up in hospital, but that is as a precautionary because I do have underlying chest and lung issues.

"(The vaccine) protected the people around me who I've been close to over this last period of time, and I am so grateful for that because I would not want anyone else in this situation. I truly believe it reduced what happened to me and what could happen to me."

Wilson, 27, has competed internationally for Australia since 2012. In addition to her Olympic gold medals, Wilson won silver in Rio in the 2016 4x100 medley and bronze in Tokyo in the 4x200 freestyle. She also owns three gold medals in FINA World Championships competition.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Billy said "the liberals aren't helping with their bullshit" and then you post this. Lol. I ask again, if hydroxychloroquine is so overwhelmingly effective how can anyone demonizing it have any effect?

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    This guy is great!!