Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Latest on the Corona Virus

Re: Latest on the Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    On the subject of homemade masks:

A weak protection is better than no protection.
    Sorry but weak protection IS NO protection,

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Sorry but weak protection IS NO protection,
    correct ...

Mr Who.. this is Milano the failed 'witch' from TV's Charmed series... she touted her mask several times.... she also contracted covid... I wonder why?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

CopierAddict, in the U.S., compared to previous years data (2000 - 2018), which all had hundreds (sometimes thousands) of cases per week (after the 12th week of the year) all the way into the 39th week of the year, Flu cases went to near zero in week 12 of 2020, and has remained at the 0 - 25 cases a week since then.
    Meanwhile, we've been getting reports about states and other countries that have padded their Covid numbers with flu cases and deaths.
    Here in the United States, we were told from Dr. Birx, " if someone dies with COVID-19 (in their system) we are counting that as a COVID-19 death." Other Countries are not doing this, which leads to overall lower numbers in those countries compared to the U.S. who uses a "more liberal approach to counting Covid deaths".
    What a joke.
    Omertà

Science vs Fiction
    Wear a Mask it's already been proven to prevent the spread and save lives.
    unless your afraid of the Facts.

CDC guidelines
    Yep you can google it.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    CopierAddict, in the U.S., compared to previous years data (2000 - 2018), which all had hundreds (sometimes thousands) of cases per week (after the 12th week of the year) all the way into the 39th week of the year, Flu cases went to near zero in week 12 of 2020, and has remained at the 0 - 25 cases a week since then.
    Meanwhile, we've been getting reports about states and other countries that have padded their Covid numbers with flu cases and deaths.
    Here in the United States, we were told from Dr. Birx, " if someone dies with COVID-19 (in their system) we are counting that as a COVID-19 death." Other Countries are not doing this, which leads to overall lower numbers in those countries compared to the U.S. who uses a "more liberal approach to counting Covid deaths".
    What a joke.
    I know that the statistics are padded in the US. England and Italy there are probably many others. It was mentioned in the Guardian that comparing statistics in different countries is meaningless as tragedies are recorded differently, for example in India dead people are not tested, if someone is witnessed to have been hit by lightning, testing for COVID becomes somewhat irrelevant.

You make some points in your post which have been echoed by various posters throughout this thread, which is why I don't post in this thread that much and as I have found out SSG, Copier Addict and the other one will totally ignore any source however reputable it maybe if it goes against their train of thought.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

What a joke.

Here are the flu numbers and season dates for you to look at.

Final Flu Season Numbers 2020 | Rochester Regional Health

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

What a joke.
    States and local gov'ts healthcare units via President's Trumps order no longer report their COVID-19 numbers to the CDC. They now report to Health & Human Services run by Alex Azar a well know hard leaning Trump appointee. The new numbers produced by the White from HHS are likely skewed to fit Trump's view of the world and have to be considered partially biased.

Like appointing a Trump loyalist to fire 23 key people before the election to slow down mail processing at the Post Office, President Trump and the Republicans in power are using every dirty trick they can get their hands on to try and influence Nov's election.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 08-13-2020 at 01:43 AM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

... one USA citizen dies every 80 seconds from COVID-19... 1,000 per day.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    correct ...

Mr Who.. this is Milano the failed 'witch' from TV's Charmed series... she touted her mask several times.... she also contracted covid... I wonder why?
    Ok, my bad. When I said "homemade maks" I said "masks made at home with thick cloth with the intent of stopping sprayed saliva and not with the intent of looking fashionable".

I read once, on the subject of nuclear blasts, that a brick building's basement would be preferable to protect oneself from nuclear radiation instead of a wooden building. BUT if there's no ideal building nearby, a wooden building would be preferable to staying out in the open. That's the line of thought I was following.

Those fashionable masks are akin to staying out in the open and hiding your face behind a twig.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

CDC Now Says Face Masks With Vents Or Valves Don’t Prevent Spread Of Coronavirus | The Daily Wire

If people didn't know this from the beginning, then I will just assume that they lack any common sense.
    Masks with vents (exhaust ports) only help to spew your sickness in a concentrated stream, allowing it to travel further, and in some cases helps to breakup the droplets into smaller particles when they pass through the vent or port, which also aids in letting the virus travel further.

My father wears an N95 with an exhaust port at work (and has every day for nearly 35 years) when he does "lighter" metal polishing work. The heavier polishing he uses a "respirator style" mask with changeable filters, and goggles that form to the face. He taught me as a young kid the difference between certain masks and whether they prevent things from coming in or going out. I was then able to apply this common knowledge (or so I thought it was) to situations such as this pandemic, and just kind of chuckle when i see people wearing the masks with vents and ports. It's not rocket science people.

I've said before on this thread.
    N95 with ports - wearer is spreading droplets like crazy, but has very minimal intake.
    N95 surgical - wearer is not spreading droplets, but can still breathe in particles, and the outside of the mask is harbor of germs that do get trapped coming in.
    Cloth masks/ bandanas/ shirts - nearly useless to the wearer and those around them, especially the way most people wear them.
    "New style" masks (the ones that have the curve cut under the eyes, and come to a point on the nose) - are actually just "pollen masks", and aren't rated for smaller particles like viruses and such.
    Gaiters (neck covering/ face mask) - has just been proven to be worse than not wearing a mask at all.
    Omertà