Re: Latest on the Corona Virus

Come on DUDE Breitbart News What a Sucker

Fix your own state No power No Water NO Masks

U.S. Treasury yields climbed on Wednesday, after President Joe Biden promised that the U.S. would have enough supply of coronavirus vaccines to inoculate every adult in the country by the end of May.

States ranked by percentage of COVID-19 vaccines administered: March 2
    Pretty Bad rank out of 50 states
    44 Mississippi

Doses distributed to state: 869,955
    Doses administered: 637,116
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 73.24

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Latest on the Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Jackson, Mississippi, residents remain without water for more than 2 weeks after storm
    BY CAITLIN O'KANE

UPDATED ON: MARCH 1, 2021 / 7:06 PM / CBS NEWS

Winter storms that passed through the South last month caused long-term damage in several states, with millions in Texas without power and water for days. While the focus was on the Lone Star State, Jackson, Mississippi continues to suffer from storm-related issues as well.

In anticipation of a storm on February 14, Mississippi Governor Reeves and Lieutenant Governor Delbert Hosemann declared a state of emergency. The storm left thousands in the state without power, which has since been nearly fully restored.

However, Jackson is still feeling the effects of the storm, with a boil water notice still in place, more than two weeks after the snowstorm. Reeves also activated the National Guard to help with water distribution efforts in the area. And the city has set up several sites for distribution of non-potable or flushing water this week.

"Over the course of this crisis, 80 total water main breaks/ leaks have been reported throughout the City," according to a press release from the city. As of Sunday evening, 51 repairs had been completed by the Water Maintenance Department, which was continuing to work on repairs.

Winter Weather Deep South Water Woes
    City of Jackson councilman and State Representative De'Keither Stamps pours potable water into an ice chest and empty jugs as a resident watches in Jackson, Mississippi, on Monday afternoon, February 22, 2021.
    ROGELIO V. SOLIS / AP
    In addition to boiling water during the crisis, residents are also being asked to limit their usage of water. A representative for the city of Jackson told CBS News that it is unclear how many people were without water, as the system — which services 43,000 customers — is old. The way the city counts and records water outages is by people calling them in.

In a press conference about the city's water supply on Sunday, Mayor Chokwe Lumumba said the lack of water is an issue of health and sanitation. "We have seen several areas that have been without water that are starting to see water, but we are certainly nowhere near ready to claim victory until every single resident has the restoration of their water," Lumumba said.

Trending News
    Hilaria and Alec Baldwin welcome sixth child
    Nike exec resigns after son used her credit card to fund sneaker business
    6 Dr. Seuss books will stop being published due to racist images
    At least 13 killed in collision between semitruck and SUV
    City engineer Dr. Charles Williams said Sunday was a "much better day" than the previous one. "The complex nature of it is, our system crashed, like a computer, and now we're trying to rebuild it," he said. "And so, the progress has been very slow."

Williams said once water tanks throughout the city are refilled using water supplies from two plants, city officials will focus on lifting water boil notices.

"I know residents are trying to understand this process and be patient — they just want to see water," Lumumba said. "I think it's important to start with the understanding that what we have faced and what we have seen as a result of the winter storm, water treatment facilities are not meant to shut down at the level that we experienced."

Winter Weather Deep South Water Woes
    Broken water mains in Jackson, Mississippi, have played havoc with residences and many businesses and restaurants, such as Barrelhouse in the historic Fondren business district on Tuesday, February 23, 2021.
    ROGELIO V. SOLIS / AP
    Lumumba said because the water facilities shut down, "the process of getting it moving back to where it was before the storm is a difficult recovery process." The mayor also said that Jackson is a "legacy city" and it needs long-term support to deal with the water issue "that has gone decades without being addressed sufficiently."

He said Jackson is an "aging city with an aging budget" with about a $300 million annual budget and "more than likely, a more than $2 billion issue with our infrastructure." He did not specify a timeline for when water would be restored. CBS News has reached out to Lumumba, Williams and the city's council and public works department for statement or comment and is awaiting response.

Last week, city council member Kenny Stokes criticized Lumumba's response to the storms, saying during a news conference on Wednesday that the "City of Jackson has suffered unduly because of the rookie mistakes of the mayor."

This came after Lumumba said during a city council meeting a week ago that Stokes spread misinformation about the relief efforts following the storm.

Lumumba also defended his administration's response to the crisis during a press conference Tuesday: "We offer as proof of the fact that this is an act of God is you just simply have to look at all of the places that this weather affected, and the fact that communities are experiencing the same trauma that our residents are experiencing today — Houston, Texas, Austin, Texas Canton, Mississippi, Vicksburg, Shreveport, Louisiana, and many more.

"It was an act of God, extreme weather, that sent old systems into havoc and put our residents in trauma," Lumumba said. "In moments of crisis, the first casualty is trust, which is why I'm calling up not only the media, but our council people." He then said "misinformation" had been spread.

During his press conference, Stokes refuted Lumumba's claims that he had spread misinformation, saying: "Tell me one thing that I said that was wrong. I showed you the people who have no water. I showed you the people who can't flush toilets."

CBS News has reached out to Lumumba and Stokes for comment on this and is awaiting response.

While city officials argued in the press, Jackson residents and many others posted their frustrations with the situation on social media. "Trying not to complain but this is so wild. Tomorrow will be the beginning of the third week that I and so many others in Jackson have been without water. I'm not blaming anybody because these problems pre-date our leadership," Arekia S. Bennett, a teacher and director of Mississippi Votes, tweeted.

Bennett also shared a link to the non-profit Shower Power, a mobile shower unit brought to cities in need. Shower Power will be in Jackson to provide clean showers to people without water.

"The entire city of Jackson, Mississippi, either has no water or is under a boil water alert. It's been 2 weeks now, going on week 3. Why isn't this getting the attention Texas got?" another resident tweeted.

Activist Erin Brockovich also tweeted about the water issues: "Big money but bad or no water!! Jackson, Mississippi, has been without water for a week."

"Not only was the city's water treatment plant knocked offline but the governor has dispatched the National Guard to bring water to the city's 160,000 residents," she wrote.

"How is it that the people of a state's capital city in the richest nation on earth have been without running water for two weeks now? How is it that there are no ongoing conversations between Mississippi's governor/legislature and Jackson's mayor? Jackson is 82% Black," Ashton Pittman, senior reporter for the Mississippi Free Press, tweeted.

First published on March 1, 2021 / 4:45 PM

I didn't know that 82% of Jackson, Ms. is black. I also didn't know that it was run by a black mayor and other black leaders.

Why are you singling out black leaders for doing such a poor job?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I didn't know that 82% of Jackson, Ms. is black. I also didn't know that it was run by a black mayor and other black leaders.

Why are you singling out black leaders for doing such a poor job?
    Reading Required Understanding YOUR problem
    Apparently your states a mess almost last in Vaccine
    distribution and CAN'T even provide water and power.

Reading Required Understanding YOUR problem

Jackson, Ms. is the state capital. I actually lived closer to there when I lived in Louisiana and have friends that live there. Here's what I know about the place.

1. It's a very dangerous place to live. Black gangs and crime are out of control.

2. They've got a couple of good bars there but that was years ago.

Jackson, Ms. is the state capital. I actually lived closer to there when I lived in Louisiana and have friends that live there. Here's what I know about the place.

1. It's a very dangerous place to live. Black gangs and crime are out of control.

2. They've got a couple of good bars there but that was years ago.
    Apparently your states a mess. Better elect people that care.

Apparently your states a mess almost last in Vaccine
    distribution and CAN'T even provide water and power.
    No offense

Apparently your states a mess. Better elect people that care.

What are you trying to say? That we need to elect a white mayor in Jackson, Ms? Blacks have run the city for a long time and it keeps getting worse. Until they deal with the crime and gangs, it's always gonna be a shit hole.

PS - I live very close to New Orleans. It's also run by black leaders and crime and violence is even worse there. It's crazy.

What are you trying to say? That we need to elect a white mayor in Jackson, Ms? Blacks have run the city for a long time and it keeps getting worse. Until they deal with the crime and gangs, it's always gonna be a shit hole.

PS - I live very close to New Orleans. It's also run by black leaders and crime and violence is even worse there. It's crazy.
    Apparently I don't need to say anything your digging your own hole.
    Thank You

Apparently I don't need to say anything your digging your own hole.
    Thank You

If brains were gasoline, you wouldn't have enough to run a mini-bike halfway around a cheerio.

Read this: The black mayor runs Jackson, Ms. He's defending his city.

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Jackson Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba took an opportunity at a Tuesday press conference to discuss what he said has been misinformation in the city’s handling of what he called an “act of God.”

The press conference was called to give an update on Jackson’s water crisis. However, the mayor went “off script” to respond to those criticizing the administration’s handling of it.

The mayor was particularly critical of some members of the city council and the media, which questioned whether he had been in talks with state leaders regarding the water crisis.

The conference came as thousands of residents are still dealing with low or no water pressure, and as the city remains under a state of civil emergency.

“This crisis we are in the midst of is an act of God and was not caused through incompetence; it was not a failure to act from any individuals and was not a failure to act from the administration.”

To back up that point, he said other cities across the Southeast are facing similar problems and pointed to Houston, Austin, Shreveport, Vicksburg, and Canton as examples.

“There was an act of God – extreme weather that sent our old systems into havoc and caused this trauma for our residents,” he said.

“As I said yesterday, most people don’t care how a watch works, they just want it to tell time. People look at our administration, the people in charge, (and say) when I can’t bathe, when I can’t take my medicine, when I’m dealing with dialysis, I just need a solution because I’m in trouble and I’m in pain, and that’s where we’re trying to focus.”

Much of the time at Tuesday’s press conference, though, was not spent discussing when water would be restored, but the political in-fighting among city leaders.

“I hear the things that are said, the outlandish statements, and I ignore them time and again because someone has to be a grown-up in the room,” the mayor said. “It isn’t helpful to make it a political discussion and make it a fight.”

The mayor was particularly critical of Ward Three Councilman Kenneth Stokes, who called out the mayor at an emergency council meeting Monday.

On Monday, Stokes questioning why a tanker of non-potable water had not been set up in his ward. He said his residents were suffering and the city needed to do something about it.

Lumumba fired back Tuesday, saying the administration has done more than Stokes had to the people of Ward Three.

“You can’t stand in front of people and say how you’ve given away 10 cases of water,” Lumumba said. “I’ve personally given out more than 10 pallets of water. If you saw me on camera, it’s the media who have found me. I’m usually going to the elderly and to senior homes in Stokes’ ward, delivering water to them and to their doorsteps and also into their homes.

The mayor added that he could “sooner get in contact with the governor than I can with the councilperson for Ward Three. When it takes for me to literally go to his house to talk about how I can help his residents, that is what takes place.”

Stokes was critical of the mayor, in part, for not putting a tanker of non-potable water in his ward. The mayor, though, said the city had not put a tanker there because one was not immediately available.

As of Tuesday, one had been stationed in the ward at Walton Elementary School, located at 3200 Bailey Ave. Water will be distributed until 6 p.m. Tuesday and between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. the rest of the week.

“There were no tankers available to us. We had been in communication with MEMA throughout the process. We gave what we had. We gave what we could find,” he said.

He said cities across the country, including Atlanta, were reaching out to help Jackson. However, the road conditions were such that assistance could not be brought in.

In other cases, he said some companies were trying to take advantage of the crisis to make money, something else that also stymied the city’s efforts.

The mayor also addressed media reports that questioned whether he had been in contact with the governor.

On Monday, the mayor said he had been in contact with Gov. Tate Reeves. Reeves, though, told media outlets that he had not heard from Lumumba.

“To to the extent that it’s relevant, I called the governor from my office phone,” Lumumba said. “I’ve chronicled time and time again (that it has) been a challenge to communicate with him.”

He went on to say that when he can’t reach the governor, the mayor reaches out to the governor’s chief of staff. However, Lumumba said he had been unable to get the chief of staff on the phone Monday morning.

“I learned that he, the chief of staff, was dealing with a personal circumstance and he texted me and said he apologized for that,” he said.