Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Signs you work for a predatory company

There's something to be said for a job that you can continue to do in your 60s..And you can go work for just about anyone. I have worked for 2...One didn't really care about numbers but also couldn't give us an increase over a 5 year span. 2nd is very concerned about numbers, but goes out of it's way to ensure employees are compensated for any work they do including annual increases..Which is better??

Also many of the programs put into place to "micro manage" techs is a direct result of some bad apples doing some pretty crappy things.. making up calls, exaggerating miles, falsifying time records, selling parts and supplies. Having done this for 25 years I know exactly how hard this job is..bad knees, back, wrists, coming home filthy and sweaty during the summer months, constant car repairs, no overtime until someone else has an emergency, then it's mandatory. But for someone w/o a college education, I think I've done pretty well, and I appreciate my continued employment..E

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Signs you work for a predatory company

Re: Signs you work for a predatory company

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    There's something to be said for a job that you can continue to do in your 60s..And you can go work for just about anyone. I have worked for 2...One didn't really care about numbers but also couldn't give us an increase over a 5 year span. 2nd is very concerned about numbers, but goes out of it's way to ensure employees are compensated for any work they do including annual increases..Which is better??

Also many of the programs put into place to "micro manage" techs is a direct result of some bad apples doing some pretty crappy things.. making up calls, exaggerating miles, falsifying time records, selling parts and supplies. Having done this for 25 years I know exactly how hard this job is..bad knees, back, wrists, coming home filthy and sweaty during the summer months, constant car repairs, no overtime until someone else has an emergency, then it's mandatory. But for someone w/o a college education, I think I've done pretty well, and I appreciate my continued employment..E
    concerning two companies... you make absolute sense...

now concerning the programs... well I have worked for 8 copier companies... and to be honest... most of the micro mgmt programs is just these companies trying to steal money out of their employees pockets and playing musical chairs to get "better employees"... In all my experience, I have only heard of one example of a guy being fired and prosecuted for stealing and reselling... most companies have been tracking mileage mileage by gps or auditing it by mapquest or google... falsifying time records... never heard of it... or of it being an issue... because well its a 40 hour a week job... and any overtime is approved before you start... atleast thats my experience...

concerning your hardwork... thats awesome... even for a guy with a college degree working in this field with continued employment is appreciated...

but even so...

its still a tough field... and I as a grey beard just felt it makes sense to let those that are getting into this field... what they can face from dealing with companies in this field and that its not unusual what they see... and that they should just count the cost before they jump in and if they are in... and think the grass is greener on the other side... to realize it could be worse...

believe you me... I love working in this field...

the freedom of being on the open road...

the fun of working on a machine...

satisfaction of solving a problem...

very little office politics...

a fast day...

great independence...

long days on the road...

no mgmt or office workers for extended periods of time when things are at their best...

and a trip to the shop for office meetings at its worst...

ah those were the days...

when its good its good...

but when its bad... oh its oh so bad...

my point is that our woes are common...

so don't be so quick to jump...

more money does not always mean a better company...

a change may not always be for the better...

so just count the cost...

and if you jump and its good... be happy...

but if you fall... well... take responsibility...

and if it hurts... we all have been there...

and some still are...
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too