Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

How are you protect yourself from corona virus at work

OK fellow techs, this is about what precautions do you take(if any) when visiting customers to fix their problems/machines.
    You all know how many calls do daily, and visiting that number of sites with so many people there is quite challenging these days.
    This invisible menace covid 19 is everywhere so better be prepared.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: How are you protect yourself from corona virus at work

Our company is providing all techs with gloves and alcohol wipes. I’ve been asking for gloves ever since I was hired, not for germs or viruses but just to keep skin contact with harsh cleaning chemicals to a minimum.

All techs are required to use hand sanitizer on our way in to our building.

I am wearing my rubber gloves on my way into the customer’s office and throwing the pair out after each call.

I’m really not worried about getting sick but just trying to do my part.

Quote Originally Posted by morgansterne View Post
    Our company is providing all techs with gloves and alcohol wipes. I’ve been asking for gloves ever since I was hired, not for germs or viruses but just to keep skin contact with harsh cleaning chemicals to a minimum.

All techs are required to use hand sanitizer on our way in to our building.

I am wearing my rubber gloves on my way into the customer’s office and throwing the pair out after each call.

I’m really not worried about getting sick but just trying to do my part.
    Got rubber gloves today and let me tel you they are a pain to work with, tore the first set...
    Also using IPA where i can. Taking a small dose of ozone to the nose when i get back home.
    Whatever

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

I wonder if it would be OK for me to ask everyone in the office to leave while I work on the machine. Other than that, not much else I can do than to wash hands frequently (already do that anyway) and keep distance from others. Oh, and don't touch my face until I wash my hands!!
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts TheBlueOrleans's Avatar

I’m taking vitamin C and living my life as normal. Playing chicken with my health, as it were.
    Somewhere there is a tree working hard to produce oxygen for you to live, NOW GO APOLOGIZE TO IT!

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    How are you protect yourself from corona virus at work

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOrleans View Post
    I’m taking vitamin C and living my life as normal. Playing chicken with my health, as it were.

something to consider as well, Vitamin D
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Worked on office machines since 1973. And all the different times I always washed the machine covers before I started working when it was cold and flu season just because you cleaned the covers as part of the job anyway. But then I have always used windex, denatured alcohol and all the other cleaners that they are now recommending to clean surfaces with. Even in extreme cases the IBM cleaning fluid used to clean all the platen and power rolls in old typewriters. And always had some sort of hand cleaner, even if I used the alcohol or even the windex to wash my hands to remove the grease, dirt, and oils that handling greasy dirty office machine parts I actually can not remember that many of the other techs I worked with getting the flu and colds as frequently as everyone else either. Heck i can remember hundreds of times when seeing the secretary sneeze all over her typewriter copier or other piece of office equipment and not do anything to clean it because no one else used it anyway.

This is the first time I can actually remember the extent that people are being advised to avoid work. crowds, restaurants, sporting events, or even going to the grocery store. Heck most stores have had sanitary wipes for the shopping cart handles now for years. Do I think we should ignore the basic cleanliness and other steps being advised to help prevent catching the virus? No emphatically no. Heck so far this year the flu virus has caused according to some reports over 1000 deaths in the US already. The corona virus so far less that 100 to 200 in the same time period. I know some family and friends that have already had the flu and two were hospitalized to care for the fever, cough, congestion and weakness caused by the flu, not the corona virus In fact that was specifically ruled out in the case of the two hospitalized last month.

Oh well be safe all you guys still in the trenches . I retired three years ago and actually was living the way they are recommending just as part of my normal lifestyle anyway. And the habit of frequently washing my hands stayed with me. Kind of like I still reach for the old window crank to lower the window before I remember to look for the button.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

I wear FPP2 mask and latex gloves that I throw away every time (except the mask, it is difficult to find).
    In addition to the customer I also give a quick clean with alcohol. I also advise them to use their pen with a cap (surely after this emergency I will find displays with holes).