Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    nonessential businesses or not

Re: nonessential businesses or not

From list letter that RandyW posted "Accordingly, this list is advisory in nature. It is not, nor should it be considered to be, a federal directive or standard in and of itself."

Many local governments have put out more specific lists. Places often included are bars, dance halls, pool rooms, theaters, sports venues and sit down restaurants.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    From Homeland Security. I found this a little bit ago, and it directly applies to all of us in the US. As a copier tech, refer to the "communications and information technology" section.
    This is the same document that RandyW posted to start this thread.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pepper38_cnd View Post
    "Essential Services" means services, by whomsoever rendered, and whether
    rendered to the Government or to any other person, the interruption of which
    would endanger the life, health or personal safety of the whole or part of
    the population;"

I don't think a broken Copier, Printer, or Fax is going to endanger the life of anyone.

Remember: " The severity of the breakdown, is directly proportionate to the Anxiety of the Operator."
    Please read SalesServiceGuy's reply to this thread. Reply #7.

What can you do if a hospital finds it an essential bit of kit?
    Someone needs to go fix it. Here is where proper PPE would be a necessary.
    Working on a machine in a hazmed suite would be an experience.
    Whatever

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    What can you do if a hospital finds it an essential bit of kit?
    Someone needs to go fix it. Here is where proper PPE would be a necessary.
    Working on a machine in a hazmed suite would be an experience.
    I don't know what the situation is there in South Africa where you are, but here in California visitors are no longer allowed in hospitals. I have a sister-in-law in ICU after having had a tumor removed from the right side of her brain. No one is allowed to visit her. Not even my brother. He has to sit by the phone and wait for the medical professionals to call him with updates.

I would say that if you had to go to service a piece of equipment at a hospital, you would be given full PPE more to protect them than to protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I don't know what the situation is there in South Africa where you are, but here in California visitors are no longer allowed in hospitals. I have a sister-in-law in ICU after having had a tumor removed from the right side of her brain. No one is allowed to visit her. Not even my brother. He has to sit by the phone and wait for the medical professionals to call him with updates.

I would say that if you had to go to service a piece of equipment at a hospital, you would be given full PPE more to protect them than to protect you.
    We are only entering lock-down now so yea guess visiting the hospital would be off limits. Hope she recovers soon, must be a very lonely experience.
    No more travel and no business that are not essential are allowed. 21 days the entire country.
    The hospitals were already over run years ago. The county is overpopulated for some of the infrastructure.
    Not sure if the military or police would not be able to deal with the possible looting that could occur.
    Last edited by allan; 03-25-2020 at 03:49 AM.
    Whatever

Technician

I wish! Though, so far, my calls have been in office environments rather than patient wards. They do screen all who enter at the ONLY entrance. I do wish I had a N95 when I ride the elevator etc, but the real health care professions don't have enough for their crucial work. I'm just a copier guy. ;>)

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    I wish! Though, so far, my calls have been in office environments rather than patient wards. They do screen all who enter at the ONLY entrance. I do wish I had a N95 when I ride the elevator etc, but the real health care professions don't have enough for their crucial work. I'm just a copier guy. ;>)
    I kind of figured that with most if not all medical professionals now being required to use iPad, Microsoft Touch or similar pad type computers, the need for printing devices a wards and treatment areas had been eliminated. Most equipment in patient areas has for sometime been swapped out ansd taken elsewhere for repair. Thought this year there are some critical items that are becoming in short supply.

Technician

I kind of figured that with most if not all medical professionals now being required to use iPad, Microsoft Touch or similar pad type computers, the need for printing devices a wards and treatment areas had been eliminated. Most equipment in patient areas has for sometime been swapped out ansd taken elsewhere for repair. Thought this year there are some critical items that are becoming in short supply.
    That has not exactly been my experience ... at leat at the facility I am responsible for. MFPs typically at the nurses station and a dictate room for most wards/departments. Also in the admin and support offices. This system is particularly paperwork driven. I suspect you'd be right about the more modern private healthcare systems. Though, here in the US, every patient gets a nice big packet of disclosures and summaries thanks to HIPAA. The fact is that healthcare is one of the few growing segments of our industry. We are all going to need a job when this is over. Who am I to decide what is essential?