Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    nonessential businesses or not

Re: nonessential businesses or not

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    That has not exactly been my experience ... at leat at the facility I am responsible for. MFPs typically at the nurses station and a dictate room for most wards/departments. Also in the admin and support offices. This system is particularly paperwork driven. I suspect you'd be right about the more modern private healthcare systems. Though, here in the US, every patient gets a nice big packet of disclosures and summaries thanks to HIPAA. The fact is that healthcare is one of the few growing segments of our industry. We are all going to need a job when this is over. Who am I to decide what is essential?
    HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, has nothing to do with the "nice big packet of disclosures and summaries."

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I just got my letter "I'm Essential" yea!!!Now to convince my wife and kids...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    I just got my letter "I'm Essential" yea!!!Now to convince my wife and kids...
    I still say we need a laugh button to go with the Like and Thank buttons.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

A copier technician is not in the Armed Services nor the Police so they cannot be ordered to do anything that they personally feel unsafe to do.

Nor should they be expected to provide or be suited up with hospital grade protective clothing... besides there is a global shortage of such clothing.

A lot of techs are 60+ years old so this puts them in a risk group as well.

If a healthcare facility is on lock down, deliver a rental copier to their door, input the IP/Subnet/Gateway that the IT Manager wants and then work with him remotely via TeamViewer to complete the task.

Or have the equipment requiring repair rolled down to a loading dock and work on it there. Sanitize the copier heavily before touching with hospital grade disinfectant. The hospital should be able to supply this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is the risk that a copier technician who can not be expected to know all of the details about how to properly protect himself in a healthcare facility, could unknowingly infect himself or his clothing, return to his place of business and unknowingly infect his co-workers.

Many dealers are now dividing their copier technicians into two or more teams who work independently of each other at all times taking care to disinfect any work surface or equipment that they might come in contact with.

I'm 100% in "the cure is worse than the disease camp" sorry if you don't agree with this, and I'm nearly 60..I will do everything I can to try and keep my job. It's much too late for me to find work doing what I do and getting paid the same. If I die then my wife gets the extra life insurance. Getting laid off would be catastrophic for me and my family so I will continue to go in and work as needed. This BS about closing "non essential businesses" is terrible..and will destroy millions of lives..much more than this f-ing virus can ever do..Mother nature wins in the end..let it run its course..E

Maybe some machines can be moved to a less "contaminated" area? Probably not always feasible. When I first started here we had a Sharp copier at the Chinese Embassy in DC. We delivered it to their lobby and they took it from there. The time or 2 we worked on it they would wheel it out there. It was a SF7800 or 7850 so not really a big one.

Traffic has been nice. Restaurants are really getting hurt. Heck, just about every field or job sector is getting creamed. Amazing how fast that took place.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I have heard that in order to reduce the potential spread of infections are having their technicians dispatch from home. Social distancing between the outside techs and the office staff.

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    I'm 100% in "the cure is worse than the disease camp" sorry if you don't agree with this, and I'm nearly 60..I will do everything I can to try and keep my job. It's much too late for me to find work doing what I do and getting paid the same. If I die then my wife gets the extra life insurance. Getting laid off would be catastrophic for me and my family so I will continue to go in and work as needed. This BS about closing "non essential businesses" is terrible..and will destroy millions of lives..much more than this f-ing virus can ever do..Mother nature wins in the end..let it run its course..E
    You are entitled to your own opinion but you have no right to unintentionally/unknowingly infect all of the people you come in contact with each day.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    You are entitled to your own opinion but you have no right to unintentionally/unknowingly infect all of the people you come in contact with each day.

I would say that I should't "knowingly/intentionally" go to work sick, (and I don't), but by your standards no one should ever leave their house..how do you know if you have something before symptoms are showing..This isn't Ebola, or the Plague..My kid and his girlfriend just lost both jobs, not because anyone at the office was sick, but because the gov has said they're non essential. They will lose everything in a few short weeks WHY?? to prevent a miniscule percentage of those that get the virus from dying???? We will be seeing the percentage of homeless follow Al Gore's Global warming curve. You can bet your ass that the percentage of deaths in this part of the population will far outpace the Covid19 virus. But hey..gas prices are down..I guess that makes it all worth it..