Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    One of the first Sharp fax brochures?


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    2,294
    Rep Power
    79

    One of the first Sharp fax brochures?

    See attached. I came across this in my old files and found it to be really funny. I believe this is for one of the first fax machines made (1972). Not sure if this was the one where a drum rotated and print was burnt onto thermal paper? You could see smoke coming from it. Took around 20 mins for 1 page with 2 paragraphs of text! LOL

    The sales letter is signed Phil but don't think it's our friend from this forum

    Added this after: Sharp named their early analog copiers "Sharpfax". Even though they had nothing to do with fax technology, except a copy being a "facsimile" of the original placed on glass! No ADF's on early copiers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    One of the first Sharp fax brochures?


    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,609
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: One of the first Sharp fax brochures?

    To this day I am fascinated with how faxing works and marvel at geniuses who materialized the idea. Mind you, I F#&%ing hate fax machines but I marvel nonetheless.

  3. #3
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    One of the first Sharp fax brochures?

    ZOOTECH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Insane Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Power
    93

    Re: One of the first Sharp fax brochures?

    Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    See attached. I came across this in my old files and found it to be really funny. I believe this is for one of the first fax machines made (1972). Not sure if this was the one where a drum rotated and print was burnt onto thermal paper? You could see smoke coming from it. Took around 20 mins for 1 page with 2 paragraphs of text! LOL

    The sales letter is signed Phil but don't think it's our friend from this forum

    Added this after: Sharp named their early analog copiers "Sharpfax". Even though they had nothing to do with fax technology, except a copy being a "facsimile" of the original placed on glass! No ADF's on early copiers.
    I believe the chart was to show what a 5% coverage looked like.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

  4. #4
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    One of the first Sharp fax brochures?


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    2,294
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: One of the first Sharp fax brochures?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    I believe the chart was to show what a 5% coverage looked like.
    Good point but sure looks like more than 5% coverage to me?

    Come to think of it I may have made a mistake calling it a brochure.

  5. #5
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,202
    Rep Power
    84

    Re: One of the first Sharp fax brochures?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    I believe the chart was to show what a 5% coverage looked like.
    Ah, yes...the infamous Slerexe letter. You are correct.

    Talk about old memories!

    I was really into fax in the late 80s and most of the 90s. That was the era of the fax boom.

    That page not only represented 5% fill, but it was the “official” test page for calculating storage capacities and transmission speeds.

    I used to carry several copies of it in my tool case to use for testing.
    Some days you’re the dog, some days you’re the fire hydrant.

  6. #6
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    One of the first Sharp fax brochures?


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    2,294
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: One of the first Sharp fax brochures?

    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Ah, yes...the infamous Slerexe letter. You are correct.

    Talk about old memories!

    I was really into fax in the late 80s and most of the 90s. That was the era of the fax boom.

    That page not only represented 5% fill, but it was the “official” test page for calculating storage capacities and transmission speeds.

    I used to carry several copies of it in my tool case to use for testing.
    Was selerex a parts company or am I thinking of sel-drum?

  7. #7
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,202
    Rep Power
    84

    Re: One of the first Sharp fax brochures?

    Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    See attached. I came across this in my old files and found it to be really funny. I believe this is for one of the first fax machines made (1972). Not sure if this was the one where a drum rotated and print was burnt onto thermal paper? You could see smoke coming from it. Took around 20 mins for 1 page with 2 paragraphs of text! LOL

    The sales letter is signed Phil but don't think it's our friend from this forum

    Added this after: Sharp named their early analog copiers "Sharpfax". Even though they had nothing to do with fax technology, except a copy being a "facsimile" of the original placed on glass! No ADF's on early copiers.
    I think you’re referring to “Group 1”, or “Old FM Mode”.

    Transmission time was 6 minutes for a letter size page. As there was no compression used, the transmission speed never really changed depending on the image.

    The only positive to thermal paper was that no matter how much image there was, there were no other consumables used...no toner (or ink) needed.
    Some days you’re the dog, some days you’re the fire hydrant.

  8. #8
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lutherville, MD
    Posts
    871
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: One of the first Sharp fax brochures?

    We still have ONE account that STILL FAXes service requests!

  9. #9
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    One of the first Sharp fax brochures?


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    2,294
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: One of the first Sharp fax brochures?

    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I think you’re referring to “Group 1”, or “Old FM Mode”.

    Transmission time was 6 minutes for a letter size page. As there was no compression used, the transmission speed never really changed depending on the image.

    The only positive to thermal paper was that no matter how much image there was, there were no other consumables used...no toner (or ink) needed.
    Ouch! Showing our age! LOL

  10. #10
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,202
    Rep Power
    84

    Re: One of the first Sharp fax brochures?

    Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Ouch! Showing our age! LOL
    I never did actually see one, but I did learn about it when I went to Canon "fax basic" class back in '88.

    I did, however, get to work on 2 or 3 Canon Fax 330s, which were Group 2 , and analog.
    Some days you’re the dog, some days you’re the fire hydrant.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here