Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

anyone here know how to make FAST ALCOHOL "not for drinking"??

hi
    I am running out of my spray alcohol that i use when i go get gas,food,bank..just bare bones needs.
    Nobody has any alcohol and the old crap booze is not strong enough to disinfect covid 19..
    I bought a lb of yeast and am looking for any ideas on how i can make a small batch for myself and family
    thanks

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: anyone here know how to make FAST ALCOHOL "not for drinking"??

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    hi
    I am running out of my spray alcohol that i use when i go get gas,food,bank..just bare bones needs.
    Nobody has any alcohol and the old crap booze is not strong enough to disinfect covid 19..
    I bought a lb of yeast and am looking for any ideas on how i can make a small batch for myself and family
    thanks
    1. 6kg of sugar/molasses into 20 litres of hot water in a sterilized 25litre drum,air lock bubbler in top. (wait one day for the wash to cool).
    2. Add 4 tablespoons of baker's yeast (bread making yeast) into the the above wash, put the airlock water bubbler into the top of the drum. Wait 5 to 10 days, depends on the seasonal temperature.

3. Distill off alcohol with a hot kettle and plastic hose through ice cubes, or place drum in the freezer and pour off the alcohol the next day. Alcohol boils at 78deg so you'll get alcohol evaporation before you get water boiling.

Done properly ,you'll get around 3 litres of %85 (170 proof) alcohol.

You asked for simple...?

Mix 60% alcohol to 40% white vinegar for hand wash.

Disclaimer:
    Use the above information at your own risk.
    Alcohol burns invisible so use all caution.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Well, you aren't going to get homemade alcohol in any quantity quickly, but it is absolutely possible.

You need to ferment some sugar wash (and no, it is NOT just sugar water and yeast, at least if you expect it to finish out without specialty products). Even the simplest route with a 'Turbo Yeast', which is yeast and nutrients together, in water with an appropriate amount of table sugar will take a week or so.

Then you need to run it through a still of some description. For the required proof you need a reflux still to go from fermented wash to useable alcohol in one go (up to 96% is possible), otherwise the simpler pot still will take at least two passes of the wash through to be strong enough (up to about 80%, more like 70% is realistic) to make sanitizer. A pot still could be a kettle with a lid you can lute, or a slightly modified pressure cooker / canner and a copper coil condenser in a bucket of cold water.

If you want to circumvent the time required to ferment a wash you could pot still (or reflux still) cheap vodka (or old crap booze), it is strong enough to not require two passes through a pot still.

So, you need to buy or make a still. You need to ferment a wash, or get some cheap available alcohol at a lower strength to work with. You need at least the right hydrometer to verify your proof is high enough, so tools need to be procured. You need to LEARN how to run the still, it isn't hard but has safety concerns. Oh, and without at least a fuel permit concentrating alcohol in a still in the US is illegal, though many do it on the DL. You up for the challenge? If you start now you might have sanitizer in a week or two .
    Last edited by zed255; 04-24-2020 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    hi
    thanks
    Distilling the old crap booze would be the quickest.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Distilling the old crap booze would be the quickest.
    You could try freezing a 90 year old bottle of Malt Scotch... I don't like scotch.....

< add butt kicks here>

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    anyone here know how to make FAST ALCOHOL &quot;not for drinking&quot;??

FYI, most high school chemistry labs have a still. If you know someone you might be able to borrow one. I remember a couple of seniors who one year had a jug of hard cider and ran it through the still. Ended up with about 150 proof. Quick question, do you know how to tell when your cider is ready? When you hear the cork hit the cake pan.

Allen's suggestion is the best if you already have the crap booze.

CDC recommends at least 60% which is 120 proof. The closest OTC adult beverage that I know is Smirnoff Black Label, 100 proof. In a pinch it will work, you just have to use a little more.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

If you can buy Everclear it will be either 95% ABV or in more restrictive states 75% ABV as a ready made alcohol that will suit your purposes. Unless all the idiot hoarders bought it first...

In Australia the authorities place sour bitters into Methylated spirits bought from the hardware.
    The bitters discourages alcohol abuse by minority groups in Australia.

You can distill the bitters out of the Methylated spirits by running it through a still....

Assuming there is Metho available at the hardware store...

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    anyone here know how to make FAST ALCOHOL &quot;not for drinking&quot;??

There is always Amazon. Careful though, denatured alcohol has additives to make it poisonous, bad-tasting, foul-smelling, or nauseating.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ethyl+alc...nb_sb_ss_i_4_4

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

wow a lot to take in...........
    regarding >>Mix 60% alcohol to 40% white vinegar for hand wash...What does combining these two items do>
    i thought you needed at least 95% pure alcohol to be safe?
    I tried to find EVERCLEAR,no one here has it.
    They should allow all the moon shiners to sell direct to liquor stores to prevent spread.
    In NY I dont think you are able to but hooch.