Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Re: The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    And to show your support for a lower minimum wage you are volunteering to attempt to live on it? Come on Billy, show your lower minimum wage support. Lol

I started working on my own in my mid-20's. Actually, I think I was about 27. Once I realized that I was never gonna make the kind of money that I wanted by working for someone else, I was gone and never looked back.

I don't think the average liberal employee understands how a business operates. They have no understanding.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I started working on my own in my mid-20's. Actually, I think I was about 27. Once I realized that I was never gonna make the kind of money that I wanted by working for someone else, I was gone and never looked back.

I don't think the average liberal employee understands how a business operates. They have no understanding.

You seem to be a one trick pony.
    Not every thing is either liberal or conservative. Poverty is an equal opportunity villain.

The future of work

You seem to be a one trick pony.
    Not every thing is either liberal or conservative. Poverty is an equal opportunity villain.

Oh, I agree with you there. But it's mainly only liberals that are calling for a $15 an hour minimum wage. That's what I was referring to.

Let's face it. Anyone past the age of 25 that's still working at McDonalds has failed at life...generally speaking, for course. There are always exceptions to the rule. Most made bad choices in life and have no one to blame but themselves. And they are the only ones who can improve their situation. That's why liberals piss me off. Y'all trying to convince them that the government is gonna save them. Stop lying to these folks.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Oh, I agree with you there. But it's mainly only liberals that are calling for a $15 an hour minimum wage. That's what I was referring to.

Let's face it. Anyone past the age of 25 that's still working at McDonalds has failed at life...generally speaking, for course. There are always exceptions to the rule. Most made bad choices in life and have no one to blame but themselves. And they are the only ones who can improve their situation. That's why liberals piss me off. Y'all trying to convince them that the government is gonna save them. Stop lying to these folks.

It has been proven over and over that raising the minimum wage has a positive affect on the economy. When people have more money, they spend more money.
    Nobody is saying the government should be "saving" people. They should, however, be there when people need support. Government should not be there only to give rich people tax breaks.

The future of work

When people have more money, they spend more money.
    Really? Why $15? Why not $30. That way folks would have a pocket full of money and the economy would really boom. Stop it. Please.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Really? Why $15? Why not $30. That way folks would have a pocket full of money and the economy would really boom. Stop it. Please.

Increasing the minimum wage would help, not hurt, the economy

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    The future of work

Flipping hamburgers,or heating them in the microwave is not worth 15 dollars a hour. Mcdonalds might say their new kiosks are to make for faster ordering,for political correctness but the ones by where I live there is very noticeable fewer people working behind the counter. I even have seen where they have a automated drink line for the drive through where it automatically fills the cups. They are trying to come up with every way to get rid of workers.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by Hansen88 View Post
    Flipping hamburgers,or heating them in the microwave is not worth 15 dollars a hour. Mcdonalds might say their new kiosks are to make for faster ordering,for political correctness but the ones by where I live there is very noticeable fewer people working behind the counter. I even have seen where they have a automated drink line for the drive through where it automatically fills the cups. They are trying to come up with every way to get rid of workers.

Corporate greed can not be blamed on a higher minimum wage. Of course self checkouts and self order kiosks are designed to get rid of paid employees, but they would be installed regardless of the minimum wage.

The future of work

Corporate greed can not be blamed on a higher minimum wage. Of course self checkouts and self order kiosks are designed to get rid of paid employees, but they would be installed regardless of the minimum wage.

Cooperate greed cannot be blamed for folks who aren't cutting it in life. That's a convenient excuse and it may make them feel better about themselves but typically I find people are right where they should be in life. Again, there are always exceptions to the rule.

The problem with liberals is they make all these promises of free stuff - housing, food, college, medical care, ect. Why work?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The future of work

It is one dimensional to debate minimum wage rates in the context of only the fast food industry. Many workers in retail, construction, hospitality, maintenance, landscaping, safety, roadwork, agriculture, transportation and countless other industries, including the copier industry get paid minimum wage.

Also minimum wage, I think, is set by state and municipal gov'ts and not Federal gov'ts. It is much more expensive to live in big cities than in more rural areas. Many people have limited mobility options and cannot simply relocate to greener pastures.

It is certainly clear that the threat of automation will put a lot of repetitive, low skill jobs at risk in increasing numbers. COVID-19 will increase the rate of that adoption. I do not think for example, a housekeeper, working in a hotel, cleaning rooms can be replaced by a machine.

It is also clear that many people have to hold multiple minimum wage jobs to earn enough money in a week to maintain their lifestyle. These workers usually arrive at work exhausted, leave exhausted, arrive home and deal with their family responsibilities exhausted.

Many people suddenly lose their jobs due to no fault of their own. They still have bills to pay and their credit is maxed out.

The COVID economy has been cruel to even very educated, very skilled workers. These people cannot always find the work that they want and are forced to take what they can get.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 12-22-2020 at 12:50 AM.