Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Re: The future of work

The next big thing in PCs: Extra-secure laptops and desktops

Hardware priorities for laptops and PCs are changing again.

The events of the past year have propelled sales of laptops, delivering growth that hasn't been seen for quite some time. And that growth will continue through next year, if not at the unusual pace seen in 2020, according to analysts.

The four key trends that analysts at Canalys reckon will drive PC market growth in 2021 and beyond include remote working, digital learning, device as a service and the more vague category of "emerging use cases", according to Rushabh Doshi, a research director at Canalys.

"As vaccines start to roll out and we enter a post-COVID world, behavioural changes among both businesses and consumers will place greater emphasis on PC use, leading to a host of new opportunities not just in hardware, but also in software and services," Doshi said.

Next year, security and connectivity will remain critical as organizations in the private and public sectors formalize remote- and flexible-working policies. Security is, for example, what Microsoft and Intel are betting on with Microsoft's forthcoming Pluton processor for storing passwords.

"PCs with stronger security standards will be integral to future solutions and will be expected from vendors and channel partners, especially in industries such as financial services and the public sector," said Doshi.

... ever since copiers were exposed as a information security risk when a copier was removed from a Police Dept back in 2010 and all of the police records could be viewed, all copier vendors have made great strides in improving information security.

Digital Photocopiers Loaded With Secrets - CBS News

Expect all copier vendors to up their product offerings again in 2021. Xerox offers McAfee built into their copiers. Toshiba and others offer XM SendSecure as a copier app. Customers performing scan to email may have to check their cell phones for text message security codes because Two Factor Authentication will be mandatory for both Microsoft 365 and Gmail.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post

Customers performing scan to email may have to check their cell phones for text message security codes because Two Factor Authentication will be mandatory for both Microsoft 365 and Gmail.
    I thought in an earlier post the date this was gonna be implemented and I believe that date has passed? I could be wrong.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I thought in an earlier post the date this was gonna be implemented and I believe that date has passed? I could be wrong.
    Initially I had heard late January 2021 for the elimination of 'Less secure App.' The last I have heard it now is mid February.

The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Initially I had heard late January 2021 for the elimination of 'Less secure App.' The last I have heard it now is mid February.

I'm curious to see how this is gonna affect scan to folder. I read something about Gmail allowing a user to opt out of 2FA for a computer after the initial setup.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Smile Re: The future of work

Hardware priorities for laptops and PCs are changing again.

The events of the past year have propelled sales of laptops, delivering growth that hasn't been seen for quite some time. And that growth will continue through next year, if not at the unusual pace seen in 2020, according to analysts.

The four key trends that analysts at Canalys reckon will drive PC market growth in 2021 and beyond include remote working, digital learning, device as a service and the more vague category of "emerging use cases", according to Rushabh Doshi, a research director at Canalys.

"As vaccines start to roll out and we enter a post-COVID world, behavioural changes among both businesses and consumers will place greater emphasis on PC use, leading to a host of new opportunities not just in hardware, but also in software and services," Doshi said.

Next year, security and connectivity will remain critical as organizations in the private and public sectors formalize remote- and flexible-working policies. Security is, for example, what Microsoft and Intel are betting on with Microsoft's forthcoming Pluton processor for storing passwords.

"PCs with stronger security standards will be integral to future solutions and will be expected from vendors and channel partners, especially in industries such as financial services and the public sector," said Doshi.

... ever since copiers were exposed as a information security risk when a copier was removed from a Police Dept back in 2010 and all of the police records could be viewed, all copier vendors have made great strides in improving information security.

Digital Photocopiers Loaded With Secrets - CBS News

Expect all copier vendors to up their product offerings again in 2021. Xerox offers McAfee built into their copiers. Toshiba and others offer XM SendSecure as a copier app. Customers performing scan to email may have to check their cell phones for text message security codes because Two Factor Authentication will be mandatory for both Microsoft 365 and Gmail.
    What are emerging use cases?

I wonder if 2FA email will push the industry back to more scan to folder setups. Maybe some manufacturer will make scan to phones the easiest. Seems customers trend toward easiest.

The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by D_L_P View Post
    What are emerging use cases?

I wonder if 2FA email will push the industry back to more scan to folder setups. Maybe some manufacturer will make scan to phones the easiest. Seems customers trend toward easiest.
    Ransomware will be a full on assault in 2021. Global criminal expect revenues to increase from $3T to $6T next year with very little chance of ever being prosecuted.

Many SMB businesses and copier service techs gravitate to scan to email as it is often easier to install than scan to folder.

For criminals, easy for you, usually means easier for them as 93% of all hack attacks originate via email.

Clearly, scan to folder is safer than scan to email but if you leave the Admin passwords to a copier's web browser at User Name: Admin/ Password: 123456 you are not helping the problem.

On 01/01/2020 California made it law that all IOT (Internet of Things) devices including copiers must set away from the manufacturer's default passwords.

The future of work

The diet industry is getting fat off the pandemic

The pandemic version of the “Freshman 15” is proving an unexpected boon to many diet companies.

Publicly traded weight-loss companies like Medifast and Oprah Winfrey’s WW International were clobbered when coronavirus lockdowns forced Americans from New York to California to hunker down back in March.

Medifast’s stock on March 17 plummeted 53 percent from the start of the year, while WW’s shares plunged 68 percent.
    But the stay-at-home trend is now fueling demand for weight loss services. And the clamoring is only expected to grow as droves of Americans pledge to lose weight in the new year, experts say.

“There is a lot of anecdotal research showing that this will be a banner year for the weight loss business,” said dietician Michele Smallidge.

Many Americans have added an extra five to 10 pounds over the past nine months as people stopped commuting to work and increasingly turned to food and alcohol to manage stress, said Smallidge, who is also program director of the Bachelor of Science Program in Exercise Science at the University of New Haven in Connecticut.

That helped New York-based WW, formerly known as Weight Watchers, fatten its subscriber base to 4.7 million in the quarter ended Sept. 26, an increase of 5 percent over last year — despite the company being forced to shutter thousands of indoor spaces where its dieters had gathered for years prior to the pandemic.

WW, which boasts Winfrey as a major investor and pitchwomen, had to beef up its digital business model to survive and it now brings in less revenue because the digital service costs just $21 a month, compared to the $45 fee for the studio program.

While the revenue loss has weighed on WW’s stock, Wall Street analysts are now predicting the company will emerge from the pandemic bigger than ever.

Lane Research analyst Doug Lane is forecasting that WW’s subscribers will grow by 12.6 percent next year instead of the 9 percent growth rate he had estimated before the company’s latest financial results.

And DA Davidson analyst Linda Bolton Weiser has raised her price target for WW three times since June, most recently to $38 on Dec. 9.

“I like the weight loss sector right now, because people have gained more weight and are more sedentary,” Bolton Weiser said.

Baltimore-based Medifast Inc., which sells pre-packaged powders and bars combined with personal coaching advice, has also seen demand skyrocket — fattening its bottom line. “Medifast has been beating Wall Street’s expectations since the pandemic hit,” Lane told The Post.

Sales in the quarter ended Sept. 30 grew a massive 43 percent to $271 million, besting Wall Street’s expectations for revenue of $240.6 million. Earnings per share came in at $2.91 a share, also beating Wall Street’s estimates of $2.49 a share.

The stock is now up 85 percent for the year after closing on Christmas Eve at $196.65 a share.

Trilby Barton started Medifast’s Optavia diet program in August after the pandemic worsened her binge-eating habit, which she says was triggered the year earlier by a miscarriage.

"That nasty habit escalated when I didn’t have any structure to my day,” Barton said of working from home during the pandemic. She’s lost 42 pounds on the program, which sells branded food products including brownies and mac-and-cheese, along with personalized coaching.

The market for diet coaches, who get paid for recruiting new users, including by boasting about their success on social media, is also soaring — doubtlessly boosted by record unemployment.

“We achieved a record number of coaches, more than we’ve ever had in the history of the company,” Medifast’s Chief Executive Dan Chard told The Post of the company’s 31 percent rise to 42,100 coaches. “That is the best indicator of how we will perform in 2021,” he said.

Manhattan-based dieting app Noom is also seeing demand for coaching positions skyrocket — putting it on track to double its 2020 revenue to $400 million over last year.

“We don’t know if people are signing up for Noom because of Covid, but we’ve added more than 900 coaches over the past three months alone,” Noom co-founder and chief executive, Saeju Jeong told The Post. The new hires represent more than a third of Noom’s 3,000 coaches.

The future of work

The diet industry is getting fat off the pandemic

The pandemic version of the “Freshman 15” is proving an unexpected boon to many diet companies.

Publicly traded weight-loss companies like Medifast and Oprah Winfrey’s WW International were clobbered when coronavirus lockdowns forced Americans from New York to California to hunker down back in March.

Medifast’s stock on March 17 plummeted 53 percent from the start of the year, while WW’s shares plunged 68 percent.
    But the stay-at-home trend is now fueling demand for weight loss services. And the clamoring is only expected to grow as droves of Americans pledge to lose weight in the new year, experts say.

“There is a lot of anecdotal research showing that this will be a banner year for the weight loss business,” said dietician Michele Smallidge.

Many Americans have added an extra five to 10 pounds over the past nine months as people stopped commuting to work and increasingly turned to food and alcohol to manage stress, said Smallidge, who is also program director of the Bachelor of Science Program in Exercise Science at the University of New Haven in Connecticut.

That helped New York-based WW, formerly known as Weight Watchers, fatten its subscriber base to 4.7 million in the quarter ended Sept. 26, an increase of 5 percent over last year — despite the company being forced to shutter thousands of indoor spaces where its dieters had gathered for years prior to the pandemic.

WW, which boasts Winfrey as a major investor and pitchwomen, had to beef up its digital business model to survive and it now brings in less revenue because the digital service costs just $21 a month, compared to the $45 fee for the studio program.

While the revenue loss has weighed on WW’s stock, Wall Street analysts are now predicting the company will emerge from the pandemic bigger than ever.

Lane Research analyst Doug Lane is forecasting that WW’s subscribers will grow by 12.6 percent next year instead of the 9 percent growth rate he had estimated before the company’s latest financial results.

And DA Davidson analyst Linda Bolton Weiser has raised her price target for WW three times since June, most recently to $38 on Dec. 9.

“I like the weight loss sector right now, because people have gained more weight and are more sedentary,” Bolton Weiser said.

Baltimore-based Medifast Inc., which sells pre-packaged powders and bars combined with personal coaching advice, has also seen demand skyrocket — fattening its bottom line. “Medifast has been beating Wall Street’s expectations since the pandemic hit,” Lane told The Post.

Sales in the quarter ended Sept. 30 grew a massive 43 percent to $271 million, besting Wall Street’s expectations for revenue of $240.6 million. Earnings per share came in at $2.91 a share, also beating Wall Street’s estimates of $2.49 a share.

The stock is now up 85 percent for the year after closing on Christmas Eve at $196.65 a share.

Trilby Barton started Medifast’s Optavia diet program in August after the pandemic worsened her binge-eating habit, which she says was triggered the year earlier by a miscarriage.

"That nasty habit escalated when I didn’t have any structure to my day,” Barton said of working from home during the pandemic. She’s lost 42 pounds on the program, which sells branded food products including brownies and mac-and-cheese, along with personalized coaching.

The market for diet coaches, who get paid for recruiting new users, including by boasting about their success on social media, is also soaring — doubtlessly boosted by record unemployment.

“We achieved a record number of coaches, more than we’ve ever had in the history of the company,” Medifast’s Chief Executive Dan Chard told The Post of the company’s 31 percent rise to 42,100 coaches. “That is the best indicator of how we will perform in 2021,” he said.

Manhattan-based dieting app Noom is also seeing demand for coaching positions skyrocket — putting it on track to double its 2020 revenue to $400 million over last year.

“We don’t know if people are signing up for Noom because of Covid, but we’ve added more than 900 coaches over the past three months alone,” Noom co-founder and chief executive, Saeju Jeong told The Post. The new hires represent more than a third of Noom’s 3,000 coaches.
    Or people could just learn proper diets and an exercise program.
    But NO.... They want someone else to figure that out for them.
    Lazy is as lazy does.
    I have lost 5lbs during this time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Or people could just learn proper diets and an exercise program.
    But NO.... They want someone else to figure that out for them.
    Lazy is as lazy does.
    I have lost 5lbs during this time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yep. I've maintained the same weight for years (give or take 2 or 3 pounds) by just weighing myself every single day and logging it in an app on my phone. If I'm up a pound or 2, I eat smaller helpings of everything that day and maybe not have that dessert I wanted. It's not rocket science. I have found that the more stressed I get, I actually lose weight, so keeping an eye on my weight daily helps in that matter as well.

Less in means less weight put on and vice versa. I get an annual physical (for a couple decades now) and my Dr. always says to just keep doing what I'm doing.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    Yep. I've maintained the same weight for years (give or take 2 or 3 pounds) by just weighing myself every single day and logging it in an app on my phone. If I'm up a pound or 2, I eat smaller helpings of everything that day and maybe not have that dessert I wanted. It's not rocket science. I have found that the more stressed I get, I actually lose weight, so keeping an eye on my weight daily helps in that matter as well.

Less in means less weight put on and vice versa. I get an annual physical (for a couple decades now) and my Dr. always says to just keep doing what I'm doing.

The best advice that I've ever been given is this: "You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet." Words to live by.