Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    The"future of work"has tremendous implications for the the Office Products imaging channel that for many years has kept us all employed servicing mainly A3 copiers and other devices.

Storm clouds are on the horizon as businesses reassess their office equipment needs with likely fewer people working in a shared work space everyday.

Strong eCommerce players like Amazon or Staples are likely to soon challenge the office equipment space.

Xerox is currently selling select A3 copiers online via their new eCommerce site.

Customers are going to start evaluating print products based upon products that do not need service techs to show up and fix them all of the time.

These buyers are not going to evaluate your company by how good your service is every time a tech has to show up, All copier vendors claim how much better their service is relative to their competitors.

Buyers are going to select product where the technician rarely has to show up.
    You write very concise with proper grammar. It makes comprehension a f#$@ing pleasure to read.

I wish a few others on CTN mastered the art of expressing themselves clearly without their base instincts drifting into the text.When people fail to communicate their intent properly, they backfoot on the defensive an blame others for not understanding them. When that happens, it was the original author who was lazy and failed to communicate effectively and properly..
    Its easy for an author to drop into the "I don't give a sh!t whether people understand me or not"syndrome, any orangutan can do that....

Good to read...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    You write very concise with proper grammar. It makes comprehension a f#$@ing pleasure to read.

I wish a few others on CTN mastered the art of expressing themselves clearly without their base instincts drifting into the text.When people fail to communicate their intent properly, they backfoot on the defensive an blame others for not understanding them. When that happens, it was the original author who was lazy and failed to communicate effectively and properly..
    Its easy for an author to drop into the "I don't give a sh!t whether people understand me or not"syndrome, any orangutan can do that....

Good to read...
    I totally agree.

Sometimes all it takes is some simple proofreading to make a post more intelligent; it's not hard to do.

Run-on sentences and total lack of capitalization and punctuation make me crazy. Don't forget that this site uses a spellcheck engine, too.

All of this is much more forgivable if there is a language barrier.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The future of work

The future of work is also going to force more copier dealers to turn towards selling software solutions to support what is predicted to be both falling hardware sales and meter clicks.

Customers forced to disperse their workforce to reduce the spread of COVID-19 are going to be looking at where their documents are located and how they can be accessed by secure, remote and mobile methods.

Most dealers and manufacturers will gravitate towards solutions supported by their A3 hardware suppliers that can be remotely installed by skilled installers elsewhere in the country.

Copier technicians who cannot or will not improve their skills past hardware break/ fix will see their career opportunities and incomes decrease.

Most of us has developed a good familiarity of Microsoft Office. Today with over 600,000 business in North America using Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365) cloud based subscription services all technicians need to educate themselves on this rapidly growing product. Free six month trial versions are available during Covid-19 and low cost personal subscription can be had for approx $12.00 a month.

Similarly, copier sales people have to pick up their skills with these new products if they want to maintain their income.

Personally, I use MS365 now all of the time and a currently taking an online course on how to sell Document Management Systems. Selltowin

I even created my own YouTube channel to help me sell products.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20 year tech's Avatar

The future of work is also going to force more copier dealers to turn towards selling software solutions to support what is predicted to be both falling hardware sales and meter clicks.

Customers forced to disperse their workforce to reduce the spread of COVID-19 are going to be looking at where their documents are located and how they can be accessed by secure, remote and mobile methods.

Most dealers and manufacturers will gravitate towards solutions supported by their A3 hardware suppliers that can be remotely installed by skilled installers elsewhere in the country.

Copier technicians who cannot or will not improve their skills past hardware break/ fix will see their career opportunities and incomes decrease.

Most of us has developed a good familiarity of Microsoft Office. Today with over 600,000 business in North America using Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365) cloud based subscription services all technicians need to educate themselves on this rapidly growing product. Free six month trial versions are available during Covid-19 and low cost personal subscription can be had for approx $12.00 a month.

Similarly, copier sales people have to pick up their skills with these new products if they want to maintain their income.

Personally, I use MS365 now all of the time and a currently taking an online course on how to sell Document Management Systems. Selltowin

I even created my own YouTube channel to help me sell products.

I agree that the office copier market will and has already changed. I am currently furloughed but still in touch with my company. I am production print oriented, the industry is not dead by any means, wide format printers are running like mad. where do you think all of the restaurants are getting those open for pick up signs are coming from ? also when the restaurants come back online they will be using one time use disposable paper menu's, its already happening. things are and will be different but I will remain optimistic. We will also be working on more small home office MFPs as well, not so much for prints but scanning applications. Stay positive folks.

The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by 20 year tech View Post
    I agree that the office copier market will and has already changed. I am currently furloughed but still in touch with my company. I am production print oriented, the industry is not dead by any means, wide format printers are running like mad. where do you think all of the restaurants are getting those open for pick up signs are coming from ? also when the restaurants come back online they will be using one time use disposable paper menu's, its already happening. things are and will be different but I will remain optimistic. We will also be working on more small home office MFPs as well, not so much for prints but scanning applications. Stay positive folks.
    Restaurants are going to be different for sure. With fewer tables available due to social distancing restaurants will be forced to get people in and out quicker and serve longer hours.

They can do this via new apps that are activated when a user sits down at a table and touches a small tabletop device with their mobile phone..

You will be able to order food from the app. The food will be brought to you and you will be able to pay by the app so that there will be no waiting to pay for your food.

I would not expect leisurely dining experiences with friends, family and business associates.

Menus will likely have to be simplified with fewer offerings.

I have no idea how bars will work as they traditionally encourage people to sit and mingle longer for many hours.

A lot of home office installs have very rudimentary network setups and lots of freeware to manage security. People will be cheap and try and string something together plus you have to deal with whatever security the ISPs have on their routers.

The future of work

The future of work could also see employees using their own personal stylus pen to activate functions on the LCD panel of a shared office copier with a spray bottle of sanitizer and a box of gloves nearby.

Some copier vendors offer virtual network connections to their copiers which would allow for keyboard activation via mobile devices.

Restaurants are going to be different for sure. With fewer tables available due to social distancing restaurants will be forced to get people in and out quicker and serve longer hours.

They can do this via new apps that are activated when a user sits down at a table and touches a small tabletop device with their mobile phone..

You will be able to order food from the app. The food will be brought to you and you will be able to pay by the app so that there will be no waiting to pay for your food.

I would not expect leisurely dining experiences with friends, family and business associates.

Menus will likely have to be simplified with fewer offerings.

I have no idea how bars will work as they traditionally encourage people to sit and mingle longer for many hours.

A lot of home office installs have very rudimentary network setups and lots of freeware to manage security. People will be cheap and try and string something together plus you have to deal with whatever security the ISPs have on their routers.

Restaurants and bars will likely be some of the last industries to come back online just behind hair dressers, nail salons and tattoo parlors. i was just using them to make a point. I have several customers with small branch locations that need IT support which I believe you are referring to in your original post. we all will need to adapt to be sure but the industry will survive just in a different way I believe.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

With this new weakened security scammers and hackers are already having the time of their lives, preying on the weak and unknowing.

I have watched a ton of scambaiting videos on YouTube where fake IT companies (mostly, but not all in India) fleece their victims for hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Shutting them down is nearly impossible, as most of law enforcement turns a blind eye to it.

Without an astute IT department for guidance and protection, there will be much more of this going forward.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    With this new weakened security scammers and hackers are already having the time of their lives, preying on the weak and unknowing.

I have watched a ton of scambaiting videos on YouTube where fake IT companies (mostly, but not all in India) fleece their victims for hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Shutting them down is nearly impossible, as most of law enforcement turns a blind eye to it.

Without an astute IT department for guidance and protection, there will be much more of this going forward.
    Millions of office workers around the world have been quickly forced to work from home away from the secure electronic confines of their office workspace.

Although the IT services part of Imaging industry remains very busy trying to support these remote employees holes in security is guaranteed and become a great target for hackers and criminals to attack for criminal profit.

Millions of office workers around the world have been quickly forced to work from home away from the secure electronic confines of their office workspace.

Although the IT services part of Imaging industry remains very busy trying to support these remote employees holes in security is guaranteed and become a great target for hackers and criminals to attack for criminal profit.
    I agree. I received a bogus email last week it looked to be from our IT manager but had him asking me for my phone number (pretty sure he knows it LOL) with links to click. Not a very slick fraud attempt but you have to pay attention.