Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Re: The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    German banking giant Deutsche Bank is calling for a “privilege tax” to be imposed on people who work from home, to erase their savings from not having to commute or pay for food on their lunch breaks.

“The left will tax anything they can,” he added– hinting at the strange confluence between the objectives of tax-and-spend leftists and the multinational corporate interests which has emerged in the era of “woke capital”.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/11/13/deutsche-bank-wants-privilege-tax-imposed-on-people-who-work-from-home/

In Canada, assuming your employer signs a specific document, employees can claim a significant Federal tax deductions equal up to 1/6th of your verifiable home office expenses. Such as up to 1/6th of your rent/ mortgage. electricity, heat, internet, etc.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    The days of 'office-centricity' are over: Shopify president

The days of 'office-centricity' are over: Shopify president - BNN Bloomberg

The mass adoption of remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic signals that the days of “office-centricity” are over, according to the president of Canadian e-commerce company Shopify Inc.

Harley Finkelstein said businesses are shifting away from the idea of the office being the place where everything happens, as COVID-19 has normalized the concept of working from home for many companies.

“There still will be a place for offices, whether that’s for on-sites, or onboarding, or team-building, or white-boarding sessions,” he told BNN Bloomberg’s Jon Erlichman in an interview Thursday. “But in terms of the primary place to organize and to gather being the office, we don’t think that’s going to be the case in the long term.

“We think the days of office-centricity are over.”

The Ottawa-based technology company made news earlier this year when it announced its employees would be able to work from home even after COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.

... I realize that many business do not lend themselves well to working from home such as a manufacturing facility, distribution facility, etc.. Today, I sold a 35 cpm A3 colour copier to a private school. Some employees are in the office, some work from home, some practise distance education.

As more companies see the benefit of having people work from home I see a lot of remodeling in the future. Sounds like all that empty office space will need repurposed. I asked someone why they changed to all the half wall cubicles with everyone able to see and hear each other. They said people felt isolated enclosed in their own cubicles. He also said people tended to be less productive too.

In my experience there were a considerable amount of people asking to work from home a few days a week before COVID-19. Our boss said productivity did increased when everyone started working from home. News of a vaccine coming hasn't changed the conversation. I sure hope the work from home continues indefinitely. It will be interesting to see if the businesses that don't lend themselves to working from home will change.

Just curious, do you use shopify for the sites you manage?

The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by D_L_P View Post
    As more companies see the benefit of having people work from home I see a lot of remodeling in the future. Sounds like all that empty office space will need repurposed. I asked someone why they changed to all the half wall cubicles with everyone able to see and hear each other. They said people felt isolated enclosed in their own cubicles. He also said people tended to be less productive too.

In my experience there were a considerable amount of people asking to work from home a few days a week before COVID-19. Our boss said productivity did increased when everyone started working from home. News of a vaccine coming hasn't changed the conversation. I sure hope the work from home continues indefinitely. It will be interesting to see if the businesses that don't lend themselves to working from home will change.

Just curious, do you use shopify for the sites you manage?
    I have never used Shopify. I need to explore it more. The sites I create are not intended to be for eCommerce which is not a good thing.

I am leaving Go Daddy, moving over to Wix. Wix is less expensive, better user interface and allows one to blog easily so as to increase SEO.

You can see one of my latest creations at Business Copiers | Www.trurocopiers.ca | Nova Scotia

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

I have never used Shopify. I need to explore it more. The sites I create are not intended to be for eCommerce which is not a good thing.

I am leaving Go Daddy, moving over to Wix. Wix is less expensive, better user interface and allows one to blog easily so as to increase SEO.

You can see one of my latest creations at Business Copiers | Www.trurocopiers.ca | Nova Scotia

I used wix. Anyone can build a website on wix if they have half a brain. (Obviously if I did it.)

This is my first attempt at building a website.

Copier Repair, Copier Sales, Service | United States | Toner One, LLC

Edit: You gotta get rid of those white boxes around the images on your site. There's several different programs that you can use to get rid of them. I used Publisher.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 11-15-2020 at 06:37 AM.

Nice website. It's easy to navigate and has a clean layout. Do you use search console for the blog posts? Or ad words to get any traffic?

My wife is planning on going to Wix. We've used Wordpress for 10+ years. She sells stuff directly from her site with woo commerce. It's kinda cumbersome but Wix seems to integrate everything seamlessly. In 2021 she wants to move the store to Wix and maybe keep the blog on Wordpress, we'll see. My site only makes 1/10th what hers does but my traffic is mostly from google. I need to build it up more.

Our goal is to both be working from home full time. This has been a good year, a few months she made more than my full time income, a few months not so much.

I used wix. Anyone can build a website on wix if they have half a brain. (Obviously if I did it.)

Edit: You gotta get rid of those white boxes around the images on your site. There's several different programs that you can use to get rid of them. I used Publisher.
    Not bad. No offense but I am surprised.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Great as a first try.
    I want to give you some advice: you put a background behind the text, a shadow or a container. This is because it is difficult to read, the text blends into the dark background.

The future of work

Sales employees working from home have a big new advantage.

They are free to market to much larger organizations without requiring a team of office co-workers to support their efforts.

Decision makers expect you to be working from a home office during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Bill Gates said 50% of business travel will not recover from this pandemic. Seems businesses will rely on Zoom, email, and phone calls more in the future.

It will be interesting to see how this new norm changes marketing. Business cards will probably not be as common but website traffic will probably increase.

The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by D_L_P View Post
    Bill Gates said 50% of business travel will not recover from this pandemic. Seems businesses will rely on Zoom, email, and phone calls more in the future.

It will be interesting to see how this new norm changes marketing. Business cards will probably not be as common but website traffic will probably increase.
    Before COVID-19, rookie sales reps were expected to make up to 20 in person cold calls a day and bring back business cards to verify.

During COVID, sales reps might get to make 5 in person cold calls a week. They now have to touch at least 20 people virtually a day with buyers now even less likely to respond to marketing emails.