Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Re: The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... the final mile, certainly.
    But major delivery was in a diesel boat.. one of the dirtier transportation.
    Blows the hell outta the GND objective.
    But when they WANT TO suck up to China I guess that's okie dokie.

Hunter who?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Why The Trucking Industry Is So Fragmented And Chaotic

Why The Trucking Industry Is So Fragmented And Chaotic - YouTube

.., an interesting 12 minute video that reveals the true challenges and future of the trucking industry.
    A YouTube video from CNBC, hilarious. It takes a lot more than just a drivers license. Since they made that comment without clarification as to type of drivers license I have to assume that CNBC has no idea as to what they are talking about. In California the average driver has a Class C license. They are allowed to drive:

• 2-axle vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds (lbs.) or less.
    • 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross.
    • Housecar 40 feet or less.
    • 3-wheel motorcycle with 2 wheels located in the front or back.
    • Vanpool vehicle designed to carry more than 10 persons, but no more than 15 persons including the driver. Note: A driver of a vanpool may operate with a Class C license but shall possess evidence of a medical examination required for a Class B license when operating vanpool vehicles. In the vanpool vehicle the driver must keep a statement, signed under penalty of perjury, that they have not been convicted of reckless driving, drunk driving, or hit-and-run in the last 5 years (CVC §12804.9(j)).

There are also restrictions on what you can tow and you can not tow anything for compensation, i.e. for payment or any type.

In order to operate a tractor/trailer in California you have to meet all the requirements for and obtain a Class A commercial drivers license. There are a lot of thing that a truck driving school has to teach you unless you are already a qualified military heavy vehicle operator in which case you most likely know more than the instructor.

How many fully qualified long haul drivers do you personally know? My father and one of my uncles on my father's side were long haul drivers. My other paternal uncle was a diesel mechanic. I was a member of an Army Reserve Transportation Company. I had a heavy wheel vehicle rating. I also was hazmat and explosive load qualified. I have thousand of hours hauling military equipment. I spent a year in Iraq as a senior NCO with a transportation unit. A number of the junior enlisted from my old unit are now commercial drivers and have been working the entire Dempanic.

Every copier ever delivered first arrived on a truck.
    ... the final mile, certainly.
    Wrong again.I had many a copy machine take that final mile in the back of my Saturn Vue.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    A YouTube video from CNBC, hilarious. It takes a lot more than just a drivers license. Since they made that comment without clarification as to type of drivers license I have to assume that CNBC has no idea as to what they are talking about. In California the average driver has a Class C license. They are allowed to drive:

• 2-axle vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds (lbs.) or less.
    • 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross.
    • Housecar 40 feet or less.
    • 3-wheel motorcycle with 2 wheels located in the front or back.
    • Vanpool vehicle designed to carry more than 10 persons, but no more than 15 persons including the driver. Note: A driver of a vanpool may operate with a Class C license but shall possess evidence of a medical examination required for a Class B license when operating vanpool vehicles. In the vanpool vehicle the driver must keep a statement, signed under penalty of perjury, that they have not been convicted of reckless driving, drunk driving, or hit-and-run in the last 5 years (CVC §12804.9(j)).

There are also restrictions on what you can tow and you can not tow anything for compensation, i.e. for payment or any type.

In order to operate a tractor/trailer in California you have to meet all the requirements for and obtain a Class A commercial drivers license. There are a lot of thing that a truck driving school has to teach you unless you are already a qualified military heavy vehicle operator in which case you most likely know more than the instructor.

How many fully qualified long haul drivers do you personally know? My father and one of my uncles on my father's side were long haul drivers. My other paternal uncle was a diesel mechanic. I was a member of an Army Reserve Transportation Company. I had a heavy wheel vehicle rating. I also was hazmat and explosive load qualified. I have thousand of hours hauling military equipment. I spent a year in Iraq as a senior NCO with a transportation unit. A number of the junior enlisted from my old unit are now commercial drivers and have been working the entire Dempanic.

Wrong again.I had many a copy machine take that final mile in the back of my Saturn Vue.
    .. how did the boxed copier or refurbished copier get to your place of work from the manufacturer? Likely on a 26' inter-city box truck by a driver with a CDL license delivering the final mile from the distribution center.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 11-13-2021 at 01:29 AM.

The future of work

.. how did the boxed copier or refurbished copier get to your place of work from the manufacturer? Likely on a 26' inter-city box truck by a driver with a CDL license delivering the final mile from the distribution center.
    The quirk about the supply chain is.. most INDY haulers cannot enter the UNION controlled port areas.
    ONLY UNION drivers are allowed.
    Both on the west coast and east.
    Problem is west coast (CA) has even MORE restrictions.
    Another problem is the flat beds with wheels that they load the containers onto are in short supply.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

I was primarily responding to your comment "... the final mile, certainly." Also that 26' box delivery vehicle is not a line haul truck. All it requires is a Class C license with a Commercial overlay. It only has 2 axles. I know of dealers who drive their 1,5 ton pickups down the the Ricoh Tustin warehouse to pickup equipment when they need it the next morning.

The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I was primarily responding to your comment "... the final mile, certainly." Also that 26' box delivery vehicle is not a line haul truck. All it requires is a Class C license with a Commercial overlay. It only has 2 axles. I know of dealers who drive their 1,5 ton pickups down the the Ricoh Tustin warehouse to pickup equipment when they need it the next morning.

I've driven a truck all the way from Mississippi to the Kyocera Atlanta warehouse to pick up a copier that I sold that had to be there on a certain date.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

The future of work

Kevin O'Leary: They're Never Coming Back | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)

Kevin O'Leary: They're Never Coming Back | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - YouTube

... the comment section is full of quotes like:

"I have so much more time to take care of my family and actually enjoy some hobbies when I don't spend two hours sitting in traffic every day. And that was when I was crammed on a bus after hoping that the Park N Ride lot wasn't full by 6:30 am. If I actually wanted to drive my car to work, it would have been three hours a day plus $12 to park my car somewhere."

"People need to keep working to keep society running so we all have access to the things we’ve become accustom to, but I think the pandemic has showed we can do that without spending 1/3 of our lives at the workplace."

"I work in downtown Chicago and I love not having to wake up at 4:30 only to sit on a train for an hour. Working from home frees up close to 4 hours of commuting everyday almost 60 days worth of time each year. I get to spend that time with my family and doing hobbies."

"What's sad is, employers just don't get the loyalty employees had, making such sacrifice, since the wage was or is so low, employees can't afford to live close to work!!!! I feel your pain. I worked in Washington State and was priced out of the housing market before I earned promotions. My commute on a good day was 2.5 hrs round trip. On a bad day, 4. All on my personal cars since we have no functional mass transit system. Never do that again!"

" I love downtown I worked near the Chicago mercantile but I have been doing that commute for almost 7 years so getting to make breakfast for my kids is way more rewarding then being downtown. Plus my job is mostly on a computer so I really didn't see a impact on my productivity."

The future of work

The data that shows Boomers are to blame for the labor shortage

One of the more insidious myths making the rounds this year was that young people didn't want to work because they were getting by just fine on government aid. People had too much money, went the narrative from a handful of politicians and pundits.

Only trouble is, the numbers don't back it up.

Here's the thing: Early retirement — whether forced by the pandemic or made possible otherwise — is having a huge impact on the labor market. And data show that retiring boomers, far more than "lazy" millennials, are the biggest force behind the labor shortage.

People have left the workforce for myriad reasons in the past two years. But among those who have left and are least likely to return, the vast majority are older Americans who accelerated their retirement.

Last month, there were 3.6 million more Americans who had left the labor force and said they didn't want a job compared with November 2019. A whopping 90% of them were over 55.
    There are few reasons why this is the case.

• The strong stock market and soaring home prices have given higher-income people, especially Boomers, more options, says ADP Chief Economist Nela Richardson.
    • The nature of the pandemic means the risks of going to work are higher for older people.
    • Employers aren't doing enough to lure people out of retirement. They're creating jobs, just not the ones people want.
    • Key quote: "I can want a 65-inch TV for $50, but it doesn't mean there's a TV shortage, it means I'm not willing to pay enough to get somebody to sell me a TV," says Aaron Sojourner, a labor economist and professor at the University of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management.

Even the White House has recognized how the retirement issue is distorting our read of the labor economy. Jared Bernstein, a member of President Joe Biden's Council of Economic Advisers, said that once "non-prime age" workers — those over 55 — are excluded from the metrics, a much clearer picture of how the labor recovery is doing emerges because it strips out the retirement narrative.

There are signs emerging that the labor shortage is easing.

First, retired people are starting to come back to work. The "unretirement" rate fell to just over 2% early in the pandemic, but in recent months has ticked up to around 2.6%, according to Nick Bunker, an economist at Indeed. That's still off from the pre-pandemic rate of around 3%.

Bringing people out of retirement might sound cruel, but it's not always the case — some people retired not because they wanted to stop working but because it was too risky to work in a pandemic, or they couldn't find a job in which the benefits outweighed the risks.

Another glimmer of hope for hiring managers: FedEx, which said the labor shortage cost it $470 million in its most recent quarter, says the outlook for staffing is improving.

FedEx said it is getting a good response from its current hiring efforts, given its current pay package and other offerings, such as an app that provides employee-friendly, flexible schedule options. In the last week alone, it got 111,000 applications, the highest in its history, and up from just 52,000 during a week in May of this year.

The company also is optimistic about keeping many of its seasonal hires on staff once the holiday shipping season is over.

The future of work

Forget 9 to 5. These experts say the time has come for the results-only work environment

The pandemic has made world more ready for unique HR approach, experts say, where employees have more autonomy.

A management strategy known as the results-only work environment (ROWE) has seen a surge in interest during the pandemic, says one of the architects of the system.

"I think based on the pandemic … companies are more ready now to look at something bold, look at something progressive," said Jody Thompson, who first developed the concept in 2004 with co-founder Cali Ressler when they both worked for electronics giant Best Buy.

In a results-only work environment, employees have complete control over when, where and how they work. Instead of being tied to a particular location or set of working hours, staff are held accountable for the outcome of their efforts, whether that means meeting a sales target, customer-satisfaction rating or productivity goal.

While a ROWE doesn't necessarily mean employees will opt to work from home — that wouldn't suit every job, task or personal preference — in many cases, it does involve some degree of freedom about location.
    "If I'm clear with somebody about what their measurable results need to be, whether they're in an office or on the moon, it doesn't matter,".

The COVID-19 pandemic has shaken up the world of work, particularly for office employees who were compelled to decamp to makeshift home offices when public health measures first went into effect in March 2020. Since then, numerous companies have embraced remote work, many making plans to downsize office space.

Because of the juggling people have had to do during this time as they coped with things like school closures and elder care, some employees have been given a bit more autonomy over their working hours.

'More feasible, possible, imaginable'

But because COVID-19 has forced "a global experiment" in working from home, the idea of ROWE is no longer ahead of its time, like it was when it was first introduced, said Souha Ezzedeen, an associate professor of human resource management at York University in Toronto, who teaches a graduate-level course on work-life balance.

"It is a lot more feasible, possible, imaginable, accessible because we've practised so much working from home," said Ezzedeen, who holds a PhD in organizational behaviour and development.

"And people have developed ways of working from home — setting up their home office, figuring out how they're going to talk with a team, investing in the technology to support it. So there's no going back."

Thompson said a results-only work environment requires a shift in thinking about what it means to manage.
    "The manager is not managing 'me' anymore. The manager is managing work. Not me. I don't have to ask permission to go to the dentist. I don't have to say, 'Oh, I'm coming in at nine this morning instead of eight. Is it OK If I go to my child's play?' All of that crap disappears."

Thompson said the organizations they work with have reported higher productivity, increased revenue, reduced turnover, more successful recruitment and better engagement from staff.

One of these is Canadian company Mabel's Labels, which prints custom name tags for kids' clothes and other gear.

Co-founder Julie Cole said the organization worked with CultureRX to institute a formal ROWE policy about a decade ago. It was "a work philosophy that really resonated with us because we started this company as busy moms," she said.

Because those early days involved things like holding meetings over play dates and getting work done after kids were tucked in bed, they knew they could be "very productive at un-traditional times," said Cole, who is also the Hamilton-based company's senior director of public relations.

'She got it done. I don't care how'

It made the business more effective and profitable, she said, and the autonomy staff enjoy contributes to better culture and employee retention.

Even the production staff, who must be in the building to print the labels, have been able to enjoy some autonomy over how they work, said Cole, recalling the case of one employee who elected to come in on a holiday Monday to print orders, so she could instead chaperone her child's school trip on the Tuesday that followed.

"Her goal was to get printing done. She got it done. I don't care how."

"When we say a results-only work environment, it almost sounds like this utopian work system — that I can completely disappear and just produce the work that you want me to produce. When in fact we have come to better understand, with so much working from home, that there needs to be richer interactions."
    Cole said the approach forced her and other leaders at Mabel's Labels to be really clear about goals, priorities and metrics for tracking success.

The reality is that you are actually not getting paid to sit at your desk from eight a.m. to five p.m. You're getting paid to actually get a job done during that time.

- Ashley Nunes, Harvard Law School research fellow
    "I think, sometimes, with lazy management or lazy leadership, you don't do that. You're just like, 'Oh, everybody's turning up; they're here,' you know. Whereas this forces you to have touch points and and make sure these results are happening."

Ashley Nunes, a Harvard Law School research fellow who focuses on work life, said workplaces "should move increasingly toward a product-oriented outcome versus a time-based outcome."

"What we need to do is empower workers to also have the opportunity to perform that work under conditions that maximize their productivity."

... today, even for copier techs and their Administrators, many do not need to report to work first thing in the morning. They are available in their car for the first call of the day and come into the office only to replenish any parts or supplies that they may need or troubleshoot equipment in the Service Dept.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    The future of work

wow. cut and paste sure must be handy for some