Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The future of work

The future of work

CNBC’s Jim Cramer said he believes companies and their employees will be reluctant to return to physical offices after the pandemic.

“I see tremendous, tremendous tall office buildings with nobody in them,” Cramer said on “Squawk on the Street.”

Cramer: Commercial real estate in trouble if we continue to work from home

The “Mad Money” host said that health concerns and the reliability of work-from-home technology will make telecommuting more common going forward.

Even as states are reopening business across the country, some large employers like Facebook are considering keeping employees at home even after lockdown measures are lifted.

Will employees want to come back to tall office buildings crowded into elevators and risk getting infected with COVID-19?

It is expected that up to 20-30% of people across the world will begin to evaluate why to they have to travel to a crowded workspace.

In return employers will need to spread employees out within their current office space to maintain social distancing.

What will happen to shared water coolers. coffee urns, lunch rooms, refrigerators in lunch rooms or shared office copiers?

The future of work

Re: The future of work

Cramer praises work from home technology like Zoom.US.

How many technicians on this forum are now using something like Zoom in their daily personal or business lives?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Working from home sucks in long terms! You know home is home not work!
    I happen to work from office and in the field since day one of this crisis. Being outside active and more vulnerable actually make me way too relaxed than rest of the family sitting working/teaching at home.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

The future of work

I realized today that I have only been in one elevator ride in months and I was the only person in the elevator each day.

Obviously, in normal times millions of people take packed big city elevators, public transit buses and subways every day, multiple times to get to/ from work.

The chances of infection rise multi times. People including management are going to be thinking to themselves, why am I doing this or how can I reduce doing this?

In the new normal, I think only a fool would ride a packed big city elevator without a face covering.

The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Working from home sucks in long terms! You know home is home not work!
    I happen to work from office and in the field since day one of this crisis. Being outside active and more vulnerable actually make me way too relaxed than rest of the family sitting working/teaching at home.
    I have worked from a "home office" for more than 20 years. To me, it is a blessing and a significant personal income tax benefit.

I do have my own small room that is my office and that I can close the door on.

I would admit that working from home creates a certain 24/7 availability mindset where workdays/nights /weekends all sort of blend together.

I can remember driving 25 minutes to an office, working late and arguing with my wife about coming home late all of the time missing supper and time with the kids. I can also remember going to bars after work with co-workers and developing all kinds of bad behaviour.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Working for yourself from home alot, you tend to loose track of the days.
    I asked the missus this morning, "what day is it"?

I'm forever babbling to myself or talking to our pet dogs and cats.

The bordem has got to me, so I when on a hunting expedition last night.
    I had to track down some prey with a spot light and a deadly weapon.
    < Add Jaws theme music here >......
    Okay, so I had a Torch and a can of WD-40. I had to clean out a few Paper Wasps nests.
    One large nest (70+ wasps) was right above the side door leading into my workshop. Ouch!
    Its best to wait until night time while all the insects are at home in the nest...
    Whammmo, spray the little stinging sh!ts with a WD-40 sherbet delight.
    Eat that ya stinging little sods....

Back to work....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

The future of work

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Working for yourself from home alot, you tend to loose track of the days.
    I asked the missus this morning, "what day is it"?

I'm forever babbling to myself or talking to our pet dogs and cats.

The bordem has got to me, so I when on a hunting expedition last night.
    I had to track down some prey with a spot light and a deadly weapon.
    < Add Jaws theme music here >......
    Okay, so I had a Torch and a can of WD-40. I had to clean out a few Paper Wasps nests.
    One large nest (70+ wasps) was right above the side door leading into my workshop. Ouch!
    Its best to wait until night time while all the insects are at home in the nest...
    Whammmo, spray the little stinging sh!ts with a WD-40 sherbet delight.
    Eat that ya stinging little sods....

Back to work....
    Working from home, I never lose track of days or time or babble to myself.

I read yesterday that the hot trend in office furniture are "moveable wall" units that can be easily be reconfigured to meet changing floor plans to accommodate the future of work.

Much more expensive than fixed gyprock walls but way easier to move.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Working from home, I never lose track of days or time or babble to myself.

I read yesterday that the hot trend in office furniture are "moveable wall" units that can be easily be reconfigured to meet changing floor plans to accommodate the future of work.

Much more expensive than fixed gyprock walls but way easier to move.
    Movable walls for the purpose of family distancing or school work learning environments?
    Novel idea....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    The future of work

I have talked to several people currently working from home and they can't wait to get back into the office.

The future of work

The"future of work"has tremendous implications for the the Office Products imaging channel that for many years has kept us all employed servicing mainly A3 copiers and other devices.

Storm clouds are on the horizon as businesses reassess their office equipment needs with likely fewer people working in a shared work space everyday.

Strong eCommerce players like Amazon or Staples are likely to soon challenge the office equipment space.

Xerox is currently selling select A3 copiers online via their new eCommerce site.

Customers are going to start evaluating print products based upon products that do not need service techs to show up and fix them all of the time.

These buyers are not going to evaluate your company by how good your service is every time a tech has to show up, All copier vendors claim how much better their service is relative to their competitors.

Buyers are going to select product where the technician rarely has to show up.