Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Techs and color copiers

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Never saw the color spots myself without the magnifying glass on a laser color print. But never tried any way other than that once I put one in my tool kit. Now you actually could show them on an ink jet printer since those had less dpi than most laser copier and printers. But we didn't really have a big problem with inkjet machines since we did not sell or service them regularly. Just when customers carried their printers in for help with paper jams and other minor service problems. Way too many times when the machines first got popular where customers would buy the cheapest ink they could find or worse a kit so they could refill the ink cartridges themselves. And if we did not see an OEM ink cartridge the machine went right back out to the customers car before we even looked at it.
    You won't see the embossed effect on standard paper as the ink gets absorbed into the paper and the colors somewhat bleed together!!! Toner, on the other hand, sits on the paper surface until melted & bonded to the paper surface. The only inkjet papers that I'm aware of that tend to limit ink bleed are the polymer coated photo paper and paper that uses the ColorLok Technology. Techs and color copiers

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Techs and color copiers

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Not really I started working in the business in 1972 on typewriters and had a lot of lawyers as customers. Yes very smart in some ways but dumber than a box of bricks in a lot of other areas. I never did run into Word Perfect changing the default printer setting in the printer driver. But there more than likely was a software change in the six years since I was active in the business.
    I started in 1970. I remember in the early day of word processing programs and networked computers and printers Word Perfect had an advantage over Microsoft Word in that you could actually select the printer from within Word Perfect and the printer settings could be stored with the document. With Word and all of Microsoft Office programs you had to change the default Windows printer. That was one of the reasons the law office I worked on equipment at preferred Word Perfect. You also got some desktop publishing features that with Microsoft you had to purchase Microsoft Publisher.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I started in 1970. I remember in the early day of word processing programs and networked computers and printers Word Perfect had an advantage over Microsoft Word in that you could actually select the printer from within Word Perfect and the printer settings could be stored with the document. With Word and all of Microsoft Office programs you had to change the default Windows printer. That was one of the reasons the law office I worked on equipment at preferred Word Perfect. You also got some desktop publishing features that with Microsoft you had to purchase Microsoft Publisher.
    Didn't really get too involved with pc's until much later. I did work on Olivetti computer terminals. But those did not have a hard drive or even a floppy drive . And all the "programing" was actually the mainframe they were connected to via a multi drop telephone line and a whoop-de-do fast 200 baud modem. Different input screens could be accessed by use of the f1-f8 key buttons if memory serves me right. The machines themselves had a whopping 8 k memory. But could be upgraded to 16 k for a lot of money back then. The machines were used for the NCIC data base. When you got stopped and the officer called in you tag number that was the machine they used to access the record on the state police headquarters mainframe. Or they just put in your name and address and birth date and got any criminal history you may have had on record. There were also IBM terminals at the same time too. We did not service those though.

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    You won't see the embossed effect on standard paper as the ink gets absorbed into the paper and the colors somewhat bleed together!!! Toner, on the other hand, sits on the paper surface until melted & bonded to the paper surface. The only inkjet papers that I'm aware of that tend to limit ink bleed are the polymer coated photo paper and paper that uses the ColorLok Technology. Techs and color copiers

Again we may be talking about newer(you) technology versus older(me) technology since it has been over eight years since I have used any color printer except my own Canon printer. Most inkjets have a standard output of 300x300 dpi for standard output, even color and four color black. You can of course specify a better or higher resolution print and get up 4800 dpi depending on the manufacturer. I have a Cannon MG2520 which can print at 4800x600 and it is not an expensive machine. I have in the past showed customers the four color black print where they saw the extra toner and ink use and did stop using the default setting and switched to grey-scale and then learned how to change on a per print basis to color when they needed it I just checked the print settings. The little inkjet does have three setting. Grey scale, standard and draft. So even the inkjet default is color or "four color black"

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Techs and color copiers

To cut down on end user confusion I load the drivers twice on color machines. I go into system preferences on one and set the default to grayscale and label that printer B/W. I label the other driver color. Then set the default printer to the B\W and tell them if they want color to pick the driver labeled color in the drop down. This has been easier than having them go in and change settings.

Quote Originally Posted by brewster67 View Post
    To cut down on end user confusion I load the drivers twice on color machines. I go into system preferences on one and set the default to grayscale and label that printer B/W. I label the other driver color. Then set the default printer to the B\W and tell them if they want color to pick the driver labeled color in the drop down. This has been easier than having them go in and change settings.
    I seem to remember one tech recommended we do that in places where the customer preferred to just hit the print button and let the computer tell the machine to print instead of selecting the correct print standards. The worst problems we had was when route salesmen would bring their own laptops in and use the office printer and let the software choose without any changes. One real estate office finally got fed up and would not allow any salesman to use their private laptops in the office to print with. They had to save th file to a usb or floppy and then use a specified desktop pc to print from. Even labelled the pc salesman printer station

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

All of this sounds like willful ignorance and laziness on the part of the customer! Just sayin'!Techs and color copiers

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

All of this sounds like willful ignorance and laziness on the part of the customer! Just sayin'!Techs and color copiers

Of course it is. Seen lots and lots of that for decades. Or even the ones that would put in service calls to have us change the ribbon in their printer, or typewriters, toner in the copier or printer. Even in the case of the older thermal paper fax machines the paper in the fax because it ran out of ink.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Techs and color copiers

If it was not for ignorant and lazy people we would not have a job.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brewster67 View Post
    If it was not for ignorant and lazy people we would not have a job.
    Haha, sad but true. So as for now we all have bright future
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.