Technician

Techs that work in high covid areas. Prisons, ICU, testing hospitals etc.

What precautions are techs taking to protect themselves in high covid patient medical areas where covid is rampent? Is ppe provided for you?. Are you going in and out of buildings in medical complexes? Heard of any techs getting covid? We are not doctors and with no ppe training is it safe to be on covid floors working on printers. I know it's our job and yes we are lucky to be working but I don't get a medical salary. Have some techs gotten the covid and get paid covid leave provided? I have many prisons, mental institutions that have had major covid outbreaks. Some over 200 cases and 10 deaths. Many staff workers. Until now I have not been allowed in patient areas. Fixed over Google duo. But that is ending fast. They want their machines fixed at any cost. Maybe mine.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Techs that work in high covid areas. Prisons, ICU, testing hospitals etc.

One of our techs works on the COVID ward of a local hospital. Well ... he works in the whole hospital all the time, but occasionally visits the COVID ward. He uses hospital provided masks and gloves of a considerably better quality than we have, and washes constantly. We rarely cross paths because of his dedicated territory, but he's taking it VERY seriously. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Demand that the customers have their Maintenance or IT Dept transport the device that needs to be worked on to a loading dock with power supply. Repair the device there. No need to go deep into the building. Or maybe have the health care facility acquire hot spares that you can swap in/out safely from a distance.

4 Hour onsite service generally means arrive on the premises. It does not mean in front of the device.

Use all PPE precautions available sourced locally.

It is better to loose an account than to endanger a tech, his family and your co-workers health.

Emphasize to your employer that you might be forced into a 14 day quarantine r worse over a $200.00 laser printer. Ask your Service Manager would he be personally willing to make the first service call att this location?

Technician

Thanks for the replies. It's not a popular subject people want to talk about. But for techs like me and others it is fact. I am 51 and have pre existing conditions. The other techs are scared to go to. But it's not fair. I have been servicing non paitent areas which i dont mind. This is a new world. Looks like these facilities don't really care. They just want their copiers fixed . Owner of the company just wants Revenue.

Technician

We have over 50 machines in theses areas. For now I try to fix them over Google duo. But one next week I have to go in. Just not sure. And state people who run these places have no clue either. It's up to me to protect myself or walk away.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

EITHER you set the terms that keep you safe or risk dying..
    If they dont take your health serious fuck em..and walk.............
    No account is worth my life...LET your boss/owner of company know how you feel..
    I would for one not enter a covid floor..
    If machine needs to be fixed a separate clean non covid room is what i would "DEMAND"
    DONT BE SOFT WITH THIS..

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devdumper View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It's not a popular subject people want to talk about. But for techs like me and others it is fact. I am 51 and have pre existing conditions. The other techs are scared to go to. But it's not fair. I have been servicing non paitent areas which i dont mind. This is a new world. Looks like these facilities don't really care. They just want their copiers fixed . Owner of the company just wants Revenue.
    At this time, catching COVID-19 will become a new pre-existing condition on your next healthcare application if things do not change dramatically with the next election increasing the cost of healthcare.

Make sure your employer knows that you cannot perform this service call inside the healthcare facility because of your pre-existing condition.

If you feel threatened ask for your employer to document the service demand and present the same to the ALCU for advise.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Demand that the customers have their Maintenance or IT Dept transport the device that needs to be worked on to a loading dock with power supply. Repair the device there. No need to go deep into the building. Or maybe have the health care facility acquire hot spares that you can swap in/out safely from a distance.

4 Hour onsite service generally means arrive on the premises. It does not mean in front of the device.

Use all PPE precautions available sourced locally.

It is better to loose an account than to endanger a tech, his family and your co-workers health.

Emphasize to your employer that you might be forced into a 14 day quarantine r worse over a $200.00 laser printer. Ask your Service Manager would he be personally willing to make the first service call att this location?
    There are already hospitals that do that automatically. They do not allow anyone in the Hospital other than patients, staff and first responders, not even next of kin for emergency surgical patients. My sister-in-law collapsed earlier this year from a tumor on the left temporal lobe and required immediate surgery. The hospital would not even allow my brother or any of their adult children into the ER. They have fear of liability claims should a visitor contract the virus while visiting a patient.

If such a hospital has any equipment needing repair that is movable, they will move it to shipping and receiving who will then contact the service contractor. The hospital will thoroughly sanitize the equipment prior to and again after servicing.

Working on several testing and non testing hospitals. PPE is provided by the company (we are the company because we are a coop). Plastic face shield, face mask, gloves, alcohol, etc. We put a kit in all cars/desk with lysol, wipes, hand sanitizer, etc

we are Replacing units even if is a minor issue just to stay the minimum in that areas. If problemS goes on we prefer to change the machine instead of being for hours doing tests or trobleshooting the machine. Toner is delivered at the door. We do not install them.

From april to july we do not perform any preventive maintenance. We just went from home to clients, mustly one or two service per day. now we are doing the full services just trying to keep business going.

Most of our biggest clients are manufacturing. US, canadian, koreans and germans companys with all the cleaning measures and everybody with they PPE all times, (we are in mexico) but the smallest local companys and even some of the hospitals we serve are in poorly higyene conditions. We think if a major problem comes with this Kind of clients is going to be better to loose contract than risk our crew. Right now we are just wondering that their machine dont crash in the next months...

Stay safe you all.