Thread: Virus

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Virus

Well it finally happened, I got hit with Ransomware. Looks like the Defrey 777 malware that encrypts every file on any attached drive. ( I should say my company got hit). This left us down for about 1 week but I'm happy to report the crooks did not get a dime. We were able to run a decryption software that reversed about 99% of the damage. I consider myself pretty aware, bit this one got by me and many others in the company. It would make my day if all of you would write a little email to "konimino911@protonmail.com" and tell him "better luck next time asshole".

Virus

Re: Virus

How was the email presented to you? We had one several years back that was presented as a FedEx package undeliverable. But, if you looked at the email it was not from FedEx. Thanks for the heads up.

BE WARY!!! ALWAYS INSPECT EMAIL HEADERS!!! HOVER OVER LINKS TO SEE WHAT URL IS SHOWN!!! DO NOT CLICK ON *ANYTHING*!!!
    ---
    Social Engineering is #1 Method to Get People to CLICK!!! AVOID THE URGE TO CLICK!!!VirusVirus

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Virus

There are exploits out there were you do not need to click on anything in the email. All you have to do is open the email. Depending on what email program you use, it might actually open the email for you. Microsoft outlook for one used to default to having the viewing pane open.

Having a top quality malware protection software is of utmost importance. If you depend on Windows Defender to protect you, you are in trouble.

How to choose the best antivirus program for your PC or Mac

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts ThePomqueteer's Avatar

I still think the best antivirus out there is common sense, I've been using Defender for years and no issues (yet! ). I run MalwareBytes maybe once every 6 months just to confirm there's nothing on there.

Of course this is for my personal PC at home, for my work PC, IT has ESET installed on it.

I've noticed more and more phishing attempts since we switched to O365 and can see how some people fall for it. Just got one this morning from one of our technicians asking me to sign an invoice with his email signature and everything, looked legit. Seeing as I'm a technician and have nothing to do with invoices it was a pretty obvious phishing email but for someone in finance I can see how things like this can slip by them.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Virus

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you depend on Windows Defender to protect you, you are in trouble.
    Well I do on my Windows 10 computer, however I do think a bit of tech knowledge helps a bit, I have a user account and admin, I run all day as user, unable to make dangerous changes unless I enter admin password, so exploits in email and websites do not have the access they would normally.

At work I use outdated Windows 7 that comes with an old version of Internet Explorer which has not had an update for two years, so I use Firefox. Our IT department that is always looking for a solution to a problem that never existed in the first place decided to block the usb ports on our computers in case we bought an infected usb stick from home. until we made it clear we need them for copier firmware updates.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Virus

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    Well it finally happened, I got hit with Ransomware. Looks like the Defrey 777 malware that encrypts every file on any attached drive. ( I should say my company got hit). This left us down for about 1 week but I'm happy to report the crooks did not get a dime. We were able to run a decryption software that reversed about 99% of the damage. I consider myself pretty aware, bit this one got by me and many others in the company. It would make my day if all of you would write a little email to "konimino911@protonmail.com" and tell him "better luck next time asshole".
    You....want us to piss off a hacker? Using our email addresses?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Virus

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    +1
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    At work I use outdated Windows 7 that comes with an old version of Internet Explorer which has not had an update for two years, so I use Firefox. Our IT department that is always looking for a solution to a problem that never existed in the first place decided to block the usb ports on our computers in case we bought an infected usb stick from home. until we made it clear we need them for copier firmware updates.
    it's funny that they lock your doors to your computer and then they don't upgrade to Windows 10. it's like protecting a bank with an armored door and leaving the back with a wooden door

Quote Originally Posted by JR2ALTA View Post
    yeah, I didn't think that through..E