Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

World Snooker Championship

I know there must be few snooker fans watching matches in Crucible Theatre right now just like me...Anyone
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: World Snooker Championship

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I know there must be few snooker fans watching matches in Crucible Theatre right now just like me...Anyone

Snooker as in billiards? Snooker not that big here in USA but I watch & play regular billiards, like 8 & 9 ball and of course straight pool. Been shooting pool for around 50 yrs. Was taught on a 4.5 x 9 ft regulation table by my uncle who was a US champion. Is snooker played on a real small table or am I thinking of something else like bumper pool perhaps?

I was fortunate being close to Philadelphia with many great shooters and pool halls. Willie Mosconi lived 10 min from where I live now. My uncle had a pool hall and all the old timers would come in and shoot. It's a game that will stay with you for life. Can even play when old. Like golf

Enjoy!
    Last edited by copyman; 08-05-2020 at 03:29 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Snooker as in billiards? Snooker not that big here in USA but I watch & play regular billiards, like 8 & 9 ball and of course standard points. Been shooting pool for around 50 yrs. Was taught on a 4.5 x 9 ft regulation table by my uncle who was a US champion. Is snooker played on a real small table or am I thinking of something else like bumper pool perhaps?

Enjoy!
    Standard full-size snooker table is 12 ft × 6 ft. Smaller table sizes include 10 ft × 5 ft (305 cm × 152 cm), 9 ft × 4.5 ft (274 cm × 137 cm), 8 ft × 4 ft (244 cm × 122 cm), 6 ft × 3 ft (183 cm × 91 cm) (the smallest for realistic play) and 4 ft × 2 ft (122 cm × 61 cm).

Growing up I lived a number of years next door the the Unified School District's recreation center. It originally was the city's first school building. The room at the south east corner had 2 regulation pool tables and the one on the north east corner had a billiards table and a snooker table.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I loved when pool was televised more often. I can name more players than I care to admit! Of course Earl the Pearl is A#1 on my list..

Snooker never got big here, although I know about Ronnie Sullivan.

I think Snooker and straight pool had the same problem...not great for TV like 9 ball.

Thanks all for the input. Still waiting for some snooker fans here. My guy 'the 🚀' aka Ronnie O'Sullivan is playing right now
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I have played snooker a lot and it's a brilliant game that I enjoy, many years ago someone who I worked with was very good at it for an amateur and made a name for himself in the county or area in which I live. One day he got to play against Steve Davies as part of a charity event.
    The game is also played with such a stiff upper lip, someone who exercises great self-restraint in the expression of emotion.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    I have played snooker a lot and it's a brilliant game that I enjoy, many years ago someone who I worked with was very good at it for an amateur and made a name for himself in the county or area in which I live. One day he got to play against Steve Davies as part of a charity event.
    The game is also played with such a stiff upper lip, someone who exercises great self-restraint in the expression of emotion.
    Steve Davies 6 time world champion. Must be great dude to work with... your colleague.

Steve Davies 6 time world champion. Must be great dude to work with... your colleague.
    He was back then I did something completely different for work and next door was a snooker club with a large car park. The boss used to pay membership for the staff so they could park their cars. Snooker every lunchtime for about 10 years, heh I think my highest break was about 26.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.