View Poll Results: Is it safe to send your children or family members back to school in Sept?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 46.15%
  • No

7 53.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Will you send your son,daughter, niece, nephew back to school in Seot ?

Do you feel it is safe for your family members to go back to public/ private school in Sept?

Yes

No

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Re: Will you send your son,daughter, niece, nephew back to school in Seot ?

its are already open here. There are strict restrictions but we try to live with the virus.

Where I live, public and private schools are scheduled to re-open in Sept. Post secondary schools will not offer in person classes until 2021.

COVID-19 infection rates are very low in this area.

Students will definitely be well spread out through out the building including the gym and mobile trailers outside.

How parents feel about packing their children in school buses is unknown.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Our 10 and 5 year olds will be going back "in-person".
    Our school district has given parents the options of: In-person learning, Remote-learning (though the kids won't have their actual teachers for that - it will be teachers aids doing the tele-learning curriculum), and home schooling (parents responsible for teaching).
    When put up to a vote among parents, the majority voted for in-person learning, but there was also a percentage that voted against it, hence the other options.
    3 Smaller school districts around our town decided to continue in-person learning through the covid pandemic to end the school year this year, and even held graduations at their respective football fields. There was never a report of a "spreading event" in those school districts where students and teachers continued to attend despite closures elsewhere. Covid cases are VERY low in my region, and the majority of people feel safe with reopening everything including schools (Teachers Included).
    Omertà

Retired 10,000+ Posts

At 72, all my children, nieces and nephews are adults. My youngest granddaughter graduated high school 2 months ago.

The Board of Regents for the UC and CSU campuses has dictated that all campuses will remain closed for the fall semester. If professors, lecturers or administrative assistants need to access anything that is in their office on campus they need to get permission from their department chair, the dean of instruction, the campus provost and the campus president. There are a few courses of instruction that will be allowed to conduct labs on campus where it would impossible or unsafe for students to do the experiments at home. The nursing school will be allowed to use the mannequins in their instruction facility.

A picture of a US high school students going to class from yesterday.

The Georgia student was suspended for posting the picture to social media.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

A couple of schools in the area opened on Aug 3rd, and looks like they were closed again today. The virus invaded the student and faculty almost immediately. I don't see how we can get ahead of this thing with in- person instruction. I was at a school system I service Friday to inspect machines before reopening, and there is no way it is going to work (in my opinion) for very long, because kids are just gonna be kids, and schools are ALWAYS a good place to pick up a cold or the flu. With the extremely high infection rate of covid, I give the system maybe a couple of weeks and then the infections will surface. I will be masked and gloved for any service calls, and I WILL request the area around the machine to be clear of faculty and students before I start work on the equipment. The school is in a county with ever-increasing numbers of infected, and right next to the county with the highest recorded infections in the state. Any of you also working the trenches be smart and safe.... Sick and dead techs don't do anyone any good.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

We use to service numerous schools with oversized 500 lb copiers but lost them all to Xerox, Ricoh or Konica Minolta with cpc pricing so low we just did not want to go there. A lot of these schools were distant and the travel made the whole RFP bid price just totally uneconomic.

Most of these RFPs were cpc machine included with no guaranteed minimums. If the schools are not making clicks like they had historically in the past, you would work hard but still lose a lot of money.

In light of COVID-19, we now see losing these high revenue but no profit accounts as a blessing in disguise. We focus entirely on the SMB market where copiers are mostly sold one at a time.

Lexmark won a big local RFP and placed many copiers in schools in this area. They subcontracted out to a few local dealers to perform the service. I think everybody there is losing a lot of money and a lot of techs are stressed out not getting home till late at night every day because of long drives. We hired one such tech. His wife told him quit the job and work somewhere else or I am leaving you and taking the kids. Another tech is hinting to us he wants to leave to come work for us.

A lot of these copiers are under spec for the crazy high print volumes they are expected to do and start to experience a lot of problems a little after one year onsite. Therefore, there are a lot of service calls.

Schools almost always buy exclusively on price because they are desperate to find funds to continue their educational programs.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 08-10-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    We use to service numerous schools with oversized 500 lb copiers but lost them all to Xerox, Ricoh or Konica Minolta with cpc pricing so low we just did not want to go there. A lot of these schools were distant and the travel made the whole RFP bid price just totally uneconomic.

Most of these RFPs were cpc machine included with no guaranteed minimums. If the schools are not making clicks like they had historically in the past, you would work hard but still lose a lot of money.

In light of COVID-19, we now see losing these high revenue but no profit accounts as a blessing in disguise. We focus entirely on the SMB market where copiers are mostly sold one at a time.

Lexmark won a big local RFP and placed many copiers in schools in this area. They subcontracted out to a few local dealers to perform the service. I think everybody there is losing a lot of money and a lot of techs are stressed out not getting home till late at night every day because of long drives. We hired one such tech. His wife told him quit the job and work somewhere else or I am leaving you and taking the kids. Another tech is hinting to us he wants to leave to come work for us.

A lot of these copiers are under spec for the crazy high print volumes they are expected to do and start to experience a lot of problems a little after one year onsite. Therefore, there are a lot of service calls.

Schools almost always buy exclusively on price because they are desperate to find funds to continue their educational programs.
    What's the point of this post regarding your own thread instead of boosting your own Ego?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    A picture of a US high school students going to class from yesterday.

The Georgia student was suspended for posting the picture to social media.

That suspension was quickly reversed.

Now there are COVID positive students and teachers in the school, although the number is fairly low (at least for now).
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins