Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20 year tech's Avatar

Have you read a good book lately ?

I have always been a bookworm. My local library opened in July and I have been doing lots of reading to pass the time. I discovered a writer named Nevada Barr who created a character named Anna Pigeon. she is a National park service ranger who gets into some big trouble every time. its a good read.do any of my felllow techs have any recommendations ?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Have you read a good book lately ?

Quote Originally Posted by 20 year tech View Post
    I have always been a bookworm. My local library opened in July and I have been doing lots of reading to pass the time. I discovered a writer named Nevada Barr who created a character named Anna Pigeon. she is a National park service ranger who gets into some big trouble every time. its a good read.do any of my felllow techs have any recommendations ?
    Every now and then I grab one of the books I have to reread and always enjoy doing that. Last one was a nice series of sci-fi books , by Issac Asimov, the Foundation Series

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Ok, I'm game. I just downloaded "Track of the Cat" from my local library. I wish they had it in an audiobook format. I have been using that format since my eyes decided to go south on me. I actually HAVE to have glasses on to see these days, and reading fine print wears me out quickly.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Ok, I'm game. I just downloaded "Track of the Cat" from my local library. I wish they had it in an audiobook format. I have been using that format since my eyes decided to go south on me. I actually HAVE to have glasses on to see these days, and reading fine print wears me out quickly.
    I feel your pain brother.. my gp says it's because of my diabetes.... my A1C has been 'tween 5.7 - 6.3 for the past 2 years.

I have a eye doc coming up end of this week, my GFather (moms) lost his eye sight to glaucoma. This has me worried.

What am I re-reading? A Time for Truth .. A: T.Cruz..

A Time for Truth: Reigniting the Promise of America: Cruz, Ted: 9780062365613: Amazon.com: Books

I'm more of a history reader.... Political reader... True accounts of life.

Not much into fiction...

I found a heavy duty 11"x12" page magnifier .. works great and has a stand to set over the book and is tall enough so you can turn the pages easily. I think I got it at Office Depot or Office Max... not really sure cost me $20 including taxes.. a bit more than I wanted to spend

Magnifier Reading,YMIKO Large A4 Page Hands Free 3x Magnifying Glass With Light LED Magnifier Reading - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

If you'er onto historical fiction The Emperor and Conqueror series by Con Iggulden are great. Follows the lives of Julius Caesar in Emperor and Genghis Khan in Conqueror. Available on Audible if your into audiobooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    I feel your pain brother.. my gp says it's because of my diabetes.... my A1C has been 'tween 5.7 - 6.3 for the past 2 years.

I have a eye doc coming up end of this week, my GFather (moms) lost his eye sight to glaucoma. This has me worried.

What am I re-reading? A Time for Truth .. A: T.Cruz..

A Time for Truth: Reigniting the Promise of America: Cruz, Ted: 9780062365613: Amazon.com: Books

I'm more of a history reader.... Political reader... True accounts of life.

Not much into fiction...

I found a heavy duty 11"x12" page magnifier .. works great and has a stand to set over the book and is tall enough so you can turn the pages easily. I think I got it at Office Depot or Office Max... not really sure cost me $20 including taxes.. a bit more than I wanted to spend

Magnifier Reading,YMIKO Large A4 Page Hands Free 3x Magnifying Glass With Light LED Magnifier Reading - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
    My stepfather a Korean war veteran with macular degeneration just had catarac surgery at the VA last week. glad to say according to him his vision has improved massively. he is a major fisherman and had lost the vision to tie the knots in the fishing lines and had sold his boat because he lost his gift of site till last week. true account of life. good things happening if you look.

thanks for the tips all .. another writer to look into if you like mystery is Micheal Kortya (hope I spelled that right)

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

thanks for the tips all .. another writer to look into if you like mystery is Micheal Kortya (hope I spelled that right)
    It has been quite a while but I did find a whole lot of another author's books. You may or may not like the genre but the books are western novels. The author is Louis L'Amour. At one point a long time ago I remember reading a story, probably when he passed away in 1988 that he at one point actually had more of his books turned into movies, usually grade be western movies. I did try a web search to see if that information was correct but found nothing to confirm it. Of course 1988 was way before all the search engines we have now. But he did write a good story and was an easy read with usually shorter books of about 200-260 pages

Actually did find a web page devoted to his work and there appears to be more than 45 movies and tv episodes based on his stories and books

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I haven't read a book for a very long time but way back there are a couple I can recommend about the British SAS in the Gulf War.
    Bravo Two Zero and The One that Got Away, The first one is about the operation itself his capture and the rest. The second one describes the combat and his very long walk to Syria.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    I haven't read a book for a very long time but way back there are a couple I can recommend about the British SAS in the Gulf War.
    Bravo Two Zero and The One that Got Away, The first one is about the operation itself his capture and the rest. The second one describes the combat and his very long walk to Syria.
    i read Bravo Two Zero... awesome book..

Will try to find The One that got away... sounds very interesting.