Non politiacl rant.

Guy phones me looking for a technician, just want to know it i know someone that will move to that area.
    Now lock down put a good couple of copier techs out of a job so i don't see how that would be the biggest struggle to find someone.

Now its a Konica Minolta tech he needs with training for warranty purposes.
    The guy that gives me the contract work that makes my life easy(lazy) and this prospecting employer has a good working relationship with each other.

The area of the country is somewhere i was setting my eye on for some time. Will not mind moving there.
    So i proposed that i could fill that position if the money is right. For the work i do here i know a couple of capable independent techs that will take it on. There is not much loyalty guilt there for leaving.

But it seems like a good old tech is not worth too much and the conservative number i gave him i needed was a bit less than i am making now. He was not willing to meet me at what is very reasonable for my capabilities. Not blowing my own bugle but companies around here seem to hire anyone willing to do the job and pay them little instead of looking for the right kind of aptitude that will make things so much more efficient.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

This could be a political issue....
    Last edited by allan; 10-14-2020 at 01:59 AM.
    Whatever

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Non politiacl rant.

Then...I guess that guy just don't deserve your service
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Non politiacl rant.

Yep you get what you pay for. This industry has changed when it comes to service techs. Most companies would rather hire an IT person and train them for copiers. Problem is most IT guys don't want to get their hands dirty and bitch the whole time having to do it. Since I'm a tech I know how valueble someone with experience is. Being able to start doing service calls first day is worth every penny!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Yep you get what you pay for. This industry has changed when it comes to service techs. Most companies would rather hire an IT person and train them for copiers. Problem is most IT guys don't want to get their hands dirty and bitch the whole time having to do it. Since I'm a tech I know how valueble someone with experience is. Being able to start doing service calls first day is worth every penny!

I am an IT and have been hired as a printer technician. By now in 2020 it is unthinkable in big cities to hire a person who knows nothing about IT. I didn't know anything about printers and my role was not very clear when hired. I was told that these machines never break down and that if there is anything to replace it is simply a puzzle.

In reality this was not the case. There is still a lot of manual work in this area and I admit I struggled in the beginning (actually even now but much less). Maybe I wouldn't have chosen this job if I had been told this but over time I have learned to use the screwdriver. Even if it is frustrating at times, when I solve problems I am very satisfied.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Non politiacl rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    I am an IT and have been hired as a printer technician. By now in 2020 it is unthinkable in big cities to hire a person who knows nothing about IT. I didn't know anything about printers and my role was not very clear when hired. I was told that these machines never break down and that if there is anything to replace it is simply a puzzle.

In reality this was not the case. There is still a lot of manual work in this area and I admit I struggled in the beginning (actually even now but much less). Maybe I wouldn't have chosen this job if I had been told this but over time I have learned to use the screwdriver. Even if it is frustrating at times, when I solve problems I am very satisfied.
    When I first started working on office equipment I was told that as long a there were offices that had equipment, there would be a need those someone to repair that equipment.