Re: The Shining City Upon a Hill

On Wednesday, that lifelong love affair hit a remarkable political climax as America’s most powerful railfan — President Joe Biden — stepped behind a lectern to outline the most ambitious infrastructure plan since Dwight Eisenhower. Moments like these don’t come along all that often; for lovers of trains, they are like a Halley’s comet. Naturally, the three jumped at the invitation from POLITICO to get on a Zoom call and watch it together. Copper and Goldfeder are old chums but Shughart, who they’ve not met, fit right in.

For just over 30 minutes, Biden laid out the broad strokes of his $2 trillion infrastructure plan, which included investments in things like roads and bridges, electric vehicles, clean energy, affordable housing and public transit. The three men watched it on a shared Zoom screen, taking notes the whole time. Cupper, bespectacled, with white hair, sitting in front of his beloved timetables, Goldfeder, also bespectacled with white hair, in front of dozens of train books and the lanterns, and Shughart, sans spectacles but also with white hair, in his bedroom because the trains have their own space in a barn out back.

They had, by that point, already heard the toplines of the plan. Cupper paraphrased a quote from Daniel Burnham, the architect of D.C.’s Union station, to describe his feelings about it. “He said ‘make no little plans, they have no power to stir men’s blood.’ And certainly what Biden has proposed is not a little plan, it’s a visionary plan. And I think that is one of its strengths.”

But by the time the president’s comments ended, they were left wondering: Had the first rail man in chief been inspirational enough?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    The Shining City Upon a Hill

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    What is a plandemic and what proof can you offer that it exists?
    As for "what is a pandemic" open your favorite engine and search pandemic definition.

As for the current SARS-CoV-2 Dempanic, I mean pandemic, why you don't ask CNN why they labeled it as such. Or maybe the World Health Organization. They are supposed to be the lead authority on worldwide pandemics.

The Biden administration has just set a goal of 30,000 megawatts of US offshore wind by 2030, and that’s got me thinking about the pieces that need to come together to make that possible. And there sure are a lot of them. The good news is that there’s positive movement with a whole lot of those pieces.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    I would call that dismal at best!
    The United States has vaccinated nearly double your entire country’s population in the same amount of time!
    17% in a country that has 10 times as many people!
    Ope! I misspoke!
    After further research, the US is actually closer to almost Double what I said!
    32% have received a vaccine shot!
    That would be TRIPLE your entire population!

C’mon Canada! Get your shit together!
    Seems that single payer shit isn’t paying off! Lol!
    Omertà

Yep BIDEN getting Shit Done

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    And you refuse to acknowledge that your government has totally fucked the vaccine distribution. Either accept the truth or shut up.

Obviously you refuse to read my posts.
    I have stated my opinion of Canada's vaccine rollout. Please feel free to go look it up. Do some real research and not just parroting others.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Yep BIDEN getting Shit Done
    HAHAHA!
    Keep dreaming!
    He’s Riding Trump’s coattails.
    Omertà

Outdoor clothing company Patagonia announced on Monday that it would donate $1 million to multiple voting rights groups in Georgia in direct response to the restrictive voting legislation that recently passed in the state.

In a press release, Patagonia celebrated the record amount of voter turnout seen in the 2020 election, reiterating the assessment made by many voting officials that they were "safe, secure elections."

"But instead of celebrating democracy in action, a group of lawmakers in Georgia and states across America are doing everything in their power to make it harder for their constituents to vote," Patagonia CEO Ryan Gellert said.

"Protecting our democracy is an all-hands-on-deck commitment that's ongoing. Standing in solidarity with Black CEOs and business leaders, I call on fellow CEOs to join in denouncing these attacks on our democracy and to do more than make a corporate statement," Gellert continued.

Gellert stated that the $1 million donation would be divided equally between the Black Voters Matter Fund and the New Georgia Project.

Gellert called on fellow business leaders to do three things: fund voting rights activists, send a letter to politicians calling on them to pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act and spread the message through their various business partners.

"Many of you have acknowledged that as business leaders, we must support all stakeholders and not just answer to shareholders," Gellert continued. "Let's show the world we mean it. Our communities and employees will have a more equitable chance to thrive when they have the ability to participate in the direction of our great country. Let's take action together for them."

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Ope! I misspoke!
    After further research, the US is actually closer to almost Double what I said!
    32% have received a vaccine shot!
    That would be TRIPLE your entire population!

C’mon Canada! Get your shit together!
    Seems that single payer shit isn’t paying off! Lol!
    Numbers, numbers, numbers. It all depends on where you get the numbers. Our World in Data puts the United States at 0.91% and Canada at .47% as of yesterday.John Hopkins University and Medical Coronavirus Research Center put the United States at 17.9% and Canada at 1.94% which just above the world average, Andorra at 1.64% is just below the average. Now I guess that Canada could claim that they are in the part of the world, North America, that has the most people vaccinated at 64,705,435 but of that 58,747,870 are from the Unites States and 1,174,175 are from Mexico. So when someone talks about numbers they need to post their source.

Daily COVID-19 vaccine doses administered per 100 people - Our World in Data

Understanding Vaccination Progress by Country - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center