Page 20 of 1624 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930701205201020 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    The Shining City Upon a Hill

Re: The Shining City Upon a Hill

Senate passes organizing resolution after Schumer-McConnell deal

The Senate formally passed a resolution organizing the chamber on Wednesday, roughly two weeks after Democrats took back the majority.

Passage of the resolution, which happened by unanimous consent, came hours after Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) announced that he and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) had reached a power-sharing deal on how to organize the 50-50 Senate.

"I am happy to report ... that the leadership of both parties have finalized the organizing resolution for the Senate," Schumer said from the Senate floor on Wednesday morning, adding that it would let the Senate committees "get to work with Democrats holding the gavels."

McConnell, in a statement early Wednesday evening, confirmed that they had reached a deal.
    "I am pleased to announce we have finalized the formal power-sharing agreement for the 117th Congress. This power-sharing agreement is almost identical to the 2001 agreement and will allow the Senate to be fairly run as an evenly-split body," he said.

The talks were held up for days after McConnell pushed to include in the resolution a guarantee on the future of the 60-vote legislative filibuster. Progressive activists and a growing number of senators want to nix the filibuster, arguing that it stands in the way of key Democratic priorities such as voting rights, democracy reform and D.C. statehood.

Democrats balked at including a deal on the filibuster as part of the power-sharing agreement. Though Democrats don't currently have the 50 votes within their caucus to nix the filibuster, they also bristled at being boxed in by McConnell.

McConnell dropped his demand after Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin (W.Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (Ariz.) reiterated that they don't support nixing the filibuster. He added in his statement on Wednesday that Schumer had also agreed to "protect specific procedural customs."

The lack of a power-sharing deal kept the Senate suspended in limbo. Though Democrats controlled the Senate floor, Republicans still retained control of the committees because they were operating under the 116th Congress resolution — when Republicans were in the majority.
    Some committees technically didn't have a formal chairman because the GOP senators who oversaw the committees last year have retired.

....Senator McConnell delayed the passing of power to the Democrats by almost a full month denying the Democrats one month of their 24 months before the next Senate elections.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Liz Cheney, the third-highest-ranking Republican in the House, held on to her title as House GOP conference chair during a secret ballot held on Wednesday.

Three sources told NBC News the secret ballot among among Republican House members was 145-61.

This comes after Cheney refused to apologize for voting to impeach former President Donald Trump during the closed-door meeting with her GOP conference Wednesday evening, according to a source in the room. Cheney was among the 10 House Republicans who voted in favor of the article of impeachment against Trump for inciting the Jan.6 insurrection at the Capitol, which killed five people.

Cheney, a frequent critic of Trump and his rhetoric, said at the time, "There has never been a greater betrayal by a president of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution. I will vote to impeach the President."

The lopsided vote to keep Cheney in leadership, despite her vote to impeach Trump, signals a hidden disenchantment with the former president in the House GOP ranks. The impeachment vote was public, meaning lawmakers would be held accountable by their party's voters for their position. But the Cheney vote was a secret ballot, freeing lawmakers to vote their preference without fear of repercussion.

The move created fury and fractures within the party, leading some pro-Trump lawmakers to protest Cheney in her home state of Wyoming, call for her to be stripped of her GOP conference chair title and a potential primary challenge.
    ... the Republicans elected to take a secret vote because they did not want their constituents nor Leader Mccarthy to know how they voted. Many Republican congressman still are wary of the political influence of the ex President.

Senate passes key procedural step to allow Democrats to pass $1.9T Covid-19 relief without threat of GOP filibuster

The Senate passed a budget resolution early Friday morning -- a key procedural step that sets up the ability for Democrats to pass President Joe Biden's sweeping Covid-19 relief package without the threat of a filibuster from Republicans who oppose it.

The measure passed 51-50 on a party line vote, but only after Vice President Kamala Harris showed up at the Capitol to break the tie.

... buried in the Amendments was a failed motion by the Republicans to oppose new carbon taxes.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post

... buried in the Amendments was a failed motion by the Republicans to oppose new carbon taxes.

This is a tax on the middle class. It's only the beginning of the liberal assault on the middle class.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    This is a tax on the middle class. It's only the beginning of the liberal assault on the middle class.
    and the poor also

Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

Key Point Questions???

• Nearly 70% of Americans support President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief plan, a new poll found.

Will this same 70% support this relief plan when their taxes go up to pay for it? (Government) That's ok, we'll just tax the rich and the evil corporations. (Corporations) That's ok, we'll just pass this tax increase along to the consumer by raising prices - I mean they're getting a nice stimulus check and a pay raise to boot.

• The $1,400 direct payments and $15 per hour minimum wage included in the package also have widespread backing.

Who wouldn't want a $1,400 direct payment? As soon as they get it though they might find that the price of everything has gone up due to inflation and the person making minimum wage no longer has a job because their employer can no longer afford to keep them on the payroll.

Throwing money at a problem is always the fix for the left. When the host has no more blood the parasites will die. So the parasites will take everything they can that doesn't kill the host to perpetuate their life. Since apparently 70% of Americans are for this parasitic relief plan, I can only assume hard working host and others like me on this site will be feeling a bit drained come tax time in the years to come. Keep working though, millions of parasites are depending on it.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by progoffice View Post
    Key Point Questions???

• Nearly 70% of Americans support President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief plan, a new poll found.

Will this same 70% support this relief plan when their taxes go up to pay for it? (Government) That's ok, we'll just tax the rich and the evil corporations. (Corporations) That's ok, we'll just pass this tax increase along to the consumer by raising prices - I mean they're getting a nice stimulus check and a pay raise to boot.

• The $1,400 direct payments and $15 per hour minimum wage included in the package also have widespread backing.

Who wouldn't want a $1,400 direct payment? As soon as they get it though they might find that the price of everything has gone up due to inflation and the person making minimum wage no longer has a job because their employer can no longer afford to keep them on the payroll.

Throwing money at a problem is always the fix for the left. When the host has no more blood the parasites will die. So the parasites will take everything they can that doesn't kill the host to perpetuate their life. Since apparently 70% of Americans are for this parasitic relief plan, I can only assume hard working host and others like me on this site will be feeling a bit drained come tax time in the years to come. Keep working though, millions of parasites are depending on it.

It is easily verifiable that economies perform better under more left leaning government compared to more right leaning governments.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    It is easily verifiable that economies perform better under more left leaning government compared to more right leaning governments.
    It's easily verifiable that I have more money when I'm taxed less. I perform better knowing I'll be able to keep more of what I produce.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by progoffice View Post
    It's easily verifiable that I have more money when I'm taxed less. I perform better knowing I'll be able to keep more of what I produce.
    So, when the government gives big tax breaks to the rich where do you think that money gets made up?