Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Watching TV and Film

Any also having been in the Typewriter business I see different make and models of typewriters.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yep!!! All the time!!
    Watch 48 Hours and look to see what copier is in the police office. It is always weird, but fun!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Watching TV and Film

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    I think that is simply one of the pitfalls of working in any industry for any length of time. My significant other has been in the health care industry for more than 30 years. Most of that time she has been in charge of materials management for a large company. Any time some piece of medical equipment appears in a movie or TV show, she will invariably pop up with an identification of it along with whether it is outdated or current, its nomenclature and part number. It annoys her too.
    My wife billed out durable medical equipment, beds, wheel chairs, CPAPs, oxygen, etc. We'll be watching a movie and she'll say ... "Hah! Look how poorly that mask fits. They must have only had an extra large mask in the prop room!"
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 01-07-2021 at 06:14 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Watching TV and Film

We also use to rent copiers to conventions in hotels and elsewhere. We made fairly good money doing that. With the pandemic, there has been no conventions in my area for quite awhile as COVID-19 restrictions ban gatherings of 10+ people and anyone who travelled into the province would have to first quarantine for 14 days.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Watching TV and Film

I recently saw a film called The Strawberry Statement from 1970. There was a scene with Kim Darby and Bruce Davison who was using a Xerox 914 type copier.

It was interesting to me so I researched the history of Xerox and found it nostalgic.

Another time I was watching Chips the old TV show and there was a Mita 900D one of the first copiers I worked on.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post
    Any also having been in the Typewriter business I see different make and models of typewriters.

Oh yes been through that scenario quite a few times. I do get a kick out of seeing the office equipment they have on the old tv shows like "Colombo" Mainly because he is in a lot of scenes where he is in an office asking about the suspect or the victim.

Even more fun was way back in the early eighties we rented typewriters to a lot of conventions for name tags and to some temporary offices until the home office delivered the "standard equipment" And because way back then there was actually a few movie companies that rented our equipment to type script revisions and every now and then to put one into the movie. This was before laptops and pc's were common and were really expensive and relatively rare. Forget about having laser printers to rent or carry around the country. Dot matrix printers were also rather noisy too. There were a few times they had to be warned that there really were not that many electric typewriters in the forties. Especially the IBM Selectric. Even had to find for one made for tv movie a manual typewriter that was appropriate for the time. And there were a few times our equipment was also on screen when we provided a fax or small desktop copier. Best and weirdest story I remember was one movie company had rented one of the older homes/buildings from the mid 1800's to film interior scenes. Well the problem they complained about was they had to have a separate script revision office in the home where they could "fix" the script or type the next days work. Problem was the typewriters, Ibm correcting selectrics, made enough noise that the microphones recording the actors could be heard in the background and scenes had to be reshot, or the actors were recorded again without the noise and the new voices were edited into the final copy of the film. Yes they actually called and wanted us to fix the machines to make them quieter for couple movies like that. Only thing I could do was have them move the script writers into the basement where there was enough distance and walls and floors to drown out the noise. Yes, they also had permission to stop traffic on the street in front of and behind the house to prevent traffic sounds and the noise of beeping horns from interrupting the filming. These were after all in residential neighborhoods

Technician

Let's play identify the copier.

Central Intelligence (The Office Escape) 4K - YouTube

At approx. 1 minute in there are 2 copiers. I remember the first time I saw this and was surprised that the "office copier" was used as an actual part of the action sequence.

I do know the machines in question as this is my main brand.

There are times when I wish I could do this, especially when a customer asks for the millionth time if they could make a copy/scan when the machine is in pieces.

certified scrub 500+ Posts
    Watching TV and Film

oh where was it now...

i think it was a training video from HP... in the background it look like a Sharp.

How I know its NOT a HP? I have requested a RMA of the same model for a client twice, twice, back to back LAWL.
    Idling colour developers are not healthy developers.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Watching TV and Film

It looked like a Canon monochrome ... maybe Advance series. the toner cartridge looks familiar. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=