Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Any old old school copier techs here?

Was doing some spring cleaning in the shop today when I found an interesting test chart. Did any of y'all use one of these back in the day?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: Any old old school copier techs here?

... old school copiers techs are dying off yet many who remain active choose to or have to work well past 65 years old.

Many younger techs are not interested in keeping older electro mechanical discontinued copiers working ... as it should be.

Modern copier design is now much more about replacing entire modules rather than spending hours trying to get something to work. You might save a buck on some parts but you spend a fortune in your time.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Nice find! I'll dig out a few of my ancient Canon and Ricoh A3 charts this weekend. Most of them are so stained you couldn't identify a quality issue if you tried. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Not sure what you mean by old school but I started doing this in 1990.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Remember the Canon NA-2 chart?

It was later replaced by the NB-3.

Before the NA-2 was a letter (or A4) sized page. It has some solid black birds (for solids) and a bunch of other small images on it. I don’t remember it’s name...we just called it “Birds”.

I started with this madness in 1979.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    ... old school copiers techs are dying off yet many who remain active choose to or have to work well past 65 years old.

Many younger techs are not interested in keeping older electro mechanical discontinued copiers working ... as it should be.

Modern copier design is now much more about replacing entire modules rather than spending hours trying to get something to work. You might save a buck on some parts but you spend a fortune in your time.

I don't know that I agree it takes less time to repair a modern copier. Why? Because there's a lot more stuff to work on. Lots more adjustments to be made.

As far as old test charts, I don't have them any longer but I remember them in detail...like they're burned in my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I don't know that I agree it takes less time to repair a modern copier. Why? Because there's a lot more stuff to work on. Lots more adjustments to be made.

As far as old test charts, I don't have them any longer but I remember them in detail...like they're burned in my brain.
    Many modern copiers print pre-programmed test charts from their system board or HDD. Albeit, there is still a use for techs to carry their own pre-printed paper test chart and a USB drive containing your print drivers and favorite print samples.

There are still a lot Katun test charts for off the glass still being used especially among techs who work on multiple brands.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Many modern copiers print pre-programmed test charts from their system board or HDD. Albeit, there is still a use for techs to carry their own pre-printed paper test chart and a USB drive containing your print drivers and favorite print samples.

There are still a lot Katun test charts for off the glass still being used especially among techs who work on multiple brands.

I used the Katun test chart back in the day. Also, I will say that I don't miss rebuilding DV's and Fusers. Don't miss it one bit.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nanohitmen View Post
    Was doing some spring cleaning in the shop today when I found an interesting test chart. Did any of y'all use one of these back in the day?

Way back when I started on the then new Canon pc20 and pc 25's I did a self-paced training course. The training back then on those was in our shop with a vcr and tv to watch the course-movie. And there was a suggestion to use the front page of the local paper. They were black and white and always had some pictures and bold head lines and usually small print. With a slightly grey background of the paper. Made a real good test copy while not quite a chart like we were given when I finally went to a course in NJ for the last of Copystar/Mita analog 25-50 cpm lines and then the digitals which printed their own internal test pages to use as a test chart.

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    Way back when I started on the then new Canon pc20 and pc 25's I did a self-paced training course. The training back then on those was in our shop with a vcr and tv to watch the course-movie. And there was a suggestion to use the front page of the local paper. They were black and white and always had some pictures and bold head lines and usually small print. With a slightly grey background of the paper. Made a real good test copy while not quite a chart like we were given when I finally went to a course in NJ for the last of Copystar/Mita analog 25-50 cpm lines and then the digitals which printed their own internal test pages to use as a test chart.
    I remember the Canon PC copier we sold so many of these what a great little box, take out the small optic ass'y to clean fit a new UFR & cartridge machine was like new again.

Was the PC25 the one with the enlarge/reduce dial?

Oh & that little sep belt!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk