Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Seriously, what is going to be done about fusers!? ALL BRANDS

OK I get it. These over-engineered fusers are more energy efficient. Maybe they heat up faster.

But for the last 5+ years they have been the single largest point of failure in our machines. Codes, belt meandering, broken gears, seized bearings, noises, noises, noises! They are expensive as shit, get back-ordered, many do not even have a parts list available.

Not even HP printers (im looking at your m477) can make a fuser that lasts a year.

Something needs to be done as an industry to get this figured out. My guess is the belts need to go!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Seriously, what is going to be done about fusers!? ALL BRANDS

I remember when the first fixing films came out on the HP LJ4000. Some lasted 120K images. Some less, if you ran envelopes or used refurbished fusers (I concluded that the rebuilders were a bit stingy with the fixing film grease). I would add grease before installing which was inconvenient, but helped.

I think where the manufacturers went wrong, is that they took a fuser that worked fine at 20cpm, then pushed it up to 40-50cpm.

You know what I'd like to see? A 16oz aluminum teflon coated heat roller with a halogen lamp inside ... maybe 2 or 3 lamps. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 01-24-2021 at 07:48 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Most printers fuser would last for long time aa there only heated when needed. Copiers come set with energy saving that usally on setup the Tech defeats the settings changes to 1 hour or two hours cooking the rollers.

Parts aren't made to last a longtime anymore and manufactures bet your not going to put in a warranty claim and buy a new fuser.

You can try to use the the lowest energy setting that will work for your customer that can extend the fuser life.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

I AGREE!

Ugh I miss the simplicity of the Sharp MX-M503N fusers... Beautiful design, simple, reliable, and lasts tens of thousands past it's life cycle.

Rebuild kits were easy, and costs were low.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lexmark A4 fusers have been failing for me well before factory schedule. They are tedious to make a warranty claim on and are expensive to purchase new.

Definitely the weakest part of the product line and a concern when the product is under a parts included service contract.

On some popular B/W models, you have to take the whole copier apart in a time consuming and complicated procedure to replace the fuser.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Lexmark A4 fusers have been failing for me well before factory schedule. They are tedious to make a warranty claim on and are expensive to purchase new.

Definitely the weakest part of the product line and a concern when the product is under a parts included service contract.

On some popular B/W models, you have to take the whole copier apart in a time consuming and complicated procedure to replace the fuser.
    Don't tell me that! Seriously, what is going to be done about fusers!? ALL BRANDS

We're about start to sell the new Lexmark rebranded Sharps!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLSam View Post
    Don't tell me that! Seriously, what is going to be done about fusers!? ALL BRANDS

We're about start to sell the new Lexmark rebranded Sharps!

I do not know the Sharp model#s but to replace the fuser on a Lexmark XM3250 is way, way harder than it should be.

The fusers on a Lexmark C4140/C4150 Sharp C507F often fail early, cost $550-$600 Canadian and you likely have no warranty claim against Lexmark.

At the end of a lease, to buy a used Lexmark could be sketchy, as the parts and toner costs, to put it back out again could be more than to buy new.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    I do not know the Sharp model#s but to replace the fuser on a Lexmark XM3250 is way, way harder than it should be.

The fusers on a Lexmark C4140/C4150 Sharp C507F often fail early, cost $550-$600 Canadian and you likely have no warranty claim against Lexmark.

At the end of a lease, to buy a used Lexmark could be sketchy, as the parts and toner costs, to put it back out again could be more than to buy new.
    Chingada madre, we were actually excited to sell rebranded Lexmarks.

The thing is, we have A LOT of pharma clients and those old Lexmarks are tanks. Just a maintenance kit with rollers and that's it.

I hope sharp has the same warranty, although we deal with OES rather than Sharp Corp.

This is why I like Brother, when their fusers fail, we just create a ticket and boom, new fuser arrives.
    Xerox is similar too.
    HP is pretty good with warranties, although only for like a month.

Sigh...

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

You know what I'd like to see? A 16oz aluminum teflon coated heat roller with a halogen lamp inside ... maybe 2 or 3 lamps. =^..^=
    YES!!!

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

YES..The vendors proclaim this as a + for the cusotmer, less down time for repairs, but when a $800 fuser rated for 1.2 million is shot after 250K, that is unacceptble. I would be OK if you could order the 2$ claw instead of the entire fuser. At least some of the bigger KM products have the oil/cleaning rollers as a repair kit. It's the same with drums, developers and x fer belts..Nothing is repairable and if these items don't run to their life span you can never make a dime in service profit..Next hot topic..One rates..E