Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I need to vent a little

Yesterday afternoon I received a call to drive 150 miles for a line on the page. The customer wanted an eta. I called around 4:00 and did the usual troubleshooting over the phone. She is only getting a line when using the feeder, prints, and platen glass are fine. I told her to clean the scan glass. She got upset and said she cleaned it to no avail. When are you coming out? I have one call en route first so I should be out around noon. "I'm going to lunch at that time" How about 1? "I have an appointment at that time" Well if I switch the first call I be there around 11. "No, that won't work for me" "I need to get this fixed" Well what will work for you? "Can't you be here at 8?" Madam, that is a 150 mile drive, no I can't. I will leave at 7 and I should be there around 9-9:30. "Ok, see you then"

I get there at the scheduled time, the door is locked, by appt only because of corona. I call, please continue to hold for next available person. 10 minutes later she picks up phone. 5 minutes after that she finally unlocks door for me to enter.

She takes me to the copier and shoves a copy in my face "see this is what it is doing" I printed out a counter sheet and it was fine. I ran it through the feeder and lines. While she was standing there I took the copy with lines and put it on the platen glass face up. I told her to look straight over to the scan glass following the lines. Do you see the blob of ink on the scan glass? You need to clean here.

Then she got upset with me. "Last week I called in for service and they told me the same thing" "So I cleaned the glass last week and the line went away" "But now it's back and I can see the ink you are pointing at" "I want to know why that copier keeps putting ink on that glass slit" "I WANT THAT FIXED"

If I would have said what I was thinking, it probably would have gone bad for my continued employment. Instead I told her the ink is from your originals. "It can't be" Yes it is (and I left) Probably get a bad review with online survey they get after each call but wtf??? You can't fix this customer.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: I need to vent a little

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Yesterday afternoon I received a call to drive 150 miles for a line on the page. The customer wanted an eta. I called around 4:00 and did the usual troubleshooting over the phone. She is only getting a line when using the feeder, prints, and platen glass are fine. I told her to clean the scan glass. She got upset and said she cleaned it to no avail. When are you coming out? I have one call en route first so I should be out around noon. "I'm going to lunch at that time" How about 1? "I have an appointment at that time" Well if I switch the first call I be there around 11. "No, that won't work for me" "I need to get this fixed" Well what will work for you? "Can't you be here at 8?" Madam, that is a 150 mile drive, no I can't. I will leave at 7 and I should be there around 9-9:30. "Ok, see you then"

I get there at the scheduled time, the door is locked, by appt only because of corona. I call, please continue to hold for next available person. 10 minutes later she picks up phone. 5 minutes after that she finally unlocks door for me to enter.

She takes me to the copier and shoves a copy in my face "see this is what it is doing" I printed out a counter sheet and it was fine. I ran it through the feeder and lines. While she was standing there I took the copy with lines and put it on the platen glass face up. I told her to look straight over to the scan glass following the lines. Do you see the blob of ink on the scan glass? You need to clean here.

Then she got upset with me. "Last week I called in for service and they told me the same thing" "So I cleaned the glass last week and the line went away" "But now it's back and I can see the ink you are pointing at" "I want to know why that copier keeps putting ink on that glass slit" "I WANT THAT FIXED"

If I would have said what I was thinking, it probably would have gone bad for my continued employment. Instead I told her the ink is from your originals. "It can't be" Yes it is (and I left) Probably get a bad review with online survey they get after each call but wtf??? You can't fix this customer.
    Lady! LET THE G0DD@MNED GEL PEN INK DRY BEFORE RUNNING IT THRU THE ADF!!!I need to vent a littleI need to vent a littleI need to vent a littleI need to vent a little
    ...do an ink dry time smear test right in front of her!!! Gel ink vs standard ball point pen....I need to vent a little

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    I need to vent a little

LOL. Rest assured some customer behaviors cannot be fixed. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

There's a phrase I like to use - you can't fix stupid.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I can explain it, but I can't make you understand..I would also point out that she is running non suitable originals thorught the ADF and future servcie calls for this will be billable. That usually stops just plain lazy calls, or maybe just increase the wait time each time she calls it in..by the 4th time and she's waiting 2-3 days she might get the hint..E

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

This is written in every user manual and some machines even have a strip with instructions right on DF or scan glass. She can bitch but when it comes time to change toner or WTB will she call a tech? No Ma'am it's not tech job it's user job. I would bill her and all customers like her definitely.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    I need to vent a little

You need to improve your phone skills.

TELL the client if she is getting a line on copies & scans ONLY but none on prints, the ONLY cause for this will be a dirty scan glass.

Once she tells you she has cleaned the scan glass explain that if you attend & find the issue is a caused by a dirty scan glass she will incur a call out change.

They will soon learn.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    I need to vent a little

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    You need to improve your phone skills.

TELL the client if she is getting a line on copies & scans ONLY but none on prints, the ONLY cause for this will be a dirty scan glass.

Once she tells you she has cleaned the scan glass explain that if you attend & find the issue is a caused by a dirty scan glass she will incur a call out change.

They will soon learn.
    I have had some that state " I have a contract with you people COME AND FIX IT " I state ma'am/sir if it is a matter of cleaning the slit glass, and I provide instructions on how to clean it, and I HAVE to come out for it.. there will be a service charge and travel time if needed.

they hang up and call the owner ( I was in his office ) he repeats what I said and she demands we come get our equipment " No Ma'am you bought that outright we have no legal grounds to pick it up....

she cleans the slit glass and calls back " WELLLLLLLLLLL I fixed it" yes ma'am because of our EXPERT Advice.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    I have had some that state " I have a contract with you people COME AND FIX IT " I state ma'am/sir if it is a matter of cleaning the slit glass, and I provide instructions on how to clean it, and I HAVE to come out for it.. there will be a service charge and travel time if needed.

they hang up and call the owner ( I was in his office ) he repeats what I said and she demands we come get our equipment " No Ma'am you bought that outright we have no legal grounds to pick it up....

she cleans the slit glass and calls back " WELLLLLLLLLLL I fixed it" yes ma'am because of our EXPERT Advice.

I know what you are saying. However, billing can really backfire on you too. You upset a customer and they tell 10 of their friends that you are a money monger. Since this was my first time at this customer, I give them a freebie. Should this happen again I'll remember and read her the script about billing for ink on scan glass.

I've been burned more than once to actually find dust on mirror that only shows up for a doc feed scan.

It's just this customer's attitude and the fact that "the copier" put that ink there is the reason to vent.

It's customer's like this one that make me want to empty a waste toner bottle over the top of their head.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    I need to vent a little

I've been burned more than once to actually find dust on mirror that only shows up for a doc feed scan.
    I have had that as well. the projection path does not use the exact same part of the mirror for the entire length of the scanner bed. Dust stop lines on copies made from the platen glass can start 2 or 3 inches in from the edge and get wider as the scanner moves.

I have also had the line be caused by an hair line scratch on the slit glass.