Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: I need to vent a little

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    I know what you are saying. However, billing can really backfire on you too. You upset a customer and they tell 10 of their friends that you are a money monger. Since this was my first time at this customer, I give them a freebie. Should this happen again I'll remember and read her the script about billing for ink on scan glass.

I've been burned more than once to actually find dust on mirror that only shows up for a doc feed scan.

It's just this customer's attitude and the fact that "the copier" put that ink there is the reason to vent.

It's customer's like this one that make me want to empty a waste toner bottle over the top of their head.
    Don’t win the battle just to lose the war...or something like that.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    I have had some that state " I have a contract with you people COME AND FIX IT " I state ma'am/sir if it is a matter of cleaning the slit glass, and I provide instructions on how to clean it, and I HAVE to come out for it.. there will be a service charge and travel time if needed.

they hang up and call the owner ( I was in his office ) he repeats what I said and she demands we come get our equipment " No Ma'am you bought that outright we have no legal grounds to pick it up....

she cleans the slit glass and calls back " WELLLLLLLLLLL I fixed it" yes ma'am because of our EXPERT Advice.

It's been a while but we had the same problem with fax machines sending lines to every other fax they send to. Had a few that by the second thirty minute drive to get there and clean white out or ink off of the scanner and showing the customer to just run a copy and check the optics that way. If the copy had a line not on the orriginal then lift the top like clearing a paper jam and clean this little bar right here with a paper towel dampened with alcohol or windex. There were plenty of times I actually showed them the white out on the scanner bar. A few customers also came up with the "I have a contract so you are going come here to clean it" And usually the owner of my shop would take the time to fax a copy of the contract with the clause about "repeated cleaning of ink of other dried liquids is not covered under the terms of the original warranty and our service contract" Then he specifically told them the next call for lines on sent faxes are billable for cleaning problems. Lost a couple contracts until they bought a replacement from the big box stores and found out the "onsite service under warranty" was provided by a company that was over two hundred miles away. otherwise they had to carry it in to guess who, our company. And they refused to fix any cleaning issues under warranty for free

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    I need to vent a little

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    It's been a while but we had the same problem with fax machines sending lines to every other fax they send to. Had a few that by the second thirty minute drive to get there and clean white out or ink off of the scanner and showing the customer to just run a copy and check the optics that way. If the copy had a line not on the orriginal then lift the top like clearing a paper jam and clean this little bar right here with a paper towel dampened with alcohol or windex. There were plenty of times I actually showed them the white out on the scanner bar. A few customers also came up with the "I have a contract so you are going come here to clean it" And usually the owner of my shop would take the time to fax a copy of the contract with the clause about "repeated cleaning of ink of other dried liquids is not covered under the terms of the original warranty and our service contract" Then he specifically told them the next call for lines on sent faxes are billable for cleaning problems. Lost a couple contracts until they bought a replacement from the big box stores and found out the "onsite service under warranty" was provided by a company that was over two hundred miles away. otherwise they had to carry it in to guess who, our company. And they refused to fix any cleaning issues under warranty for free
    I had a fax machine at a Chevrolet dealer where it turned out to be the light bar.

As for white out, I had a machine at a company that worked with county child protective services doing counseling of children in foster care. There was a huge smear of white out on the slit glass. When I showed it to one of the owners she went ballistic. By law if they make an error on a document they are supposed to retype it. No corrections allowed.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I had a fax machine at a Chevrolet dealer where it turned out to be the light bar.

As for white out, I had a machine at a company that worked with county child protective services doing counseling of children in foster care. There was a huge smear of white out on the slit glass. When I showed it to one of the owners she went ballistic. By law if they make an error on a document they are supposed to retype it. No corrections allowed.

Oh there were a few light bars that went bad or had cracked glass shields and we replaced them when they were. But I usually did a quick printout of the machine specifications and if it had no lines I then copied that. Lines, i would immediately clean the lightbar/scanner. And then run another copy. No lines they got a bill on repeat calls, There were times with an led scanner that a line of black ink was not visible but cleaning took care of that anyway. Even went so far as to use a clean plain white paper towel without any liquid on it. And then ran a copy that came out clean. Then showed the customer the now smudged paper towel. Eventually we quit working on the thermal fax machines because the price of the newer plain paper fax machines were dropping enough that it would actually cost the same to repair as it would to replace.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    I need to vent a little

Do you remember the Canon faxes with the square rollers? When the rubber wore through it would drop into the CCD optics causing a line. As they got older you could see the cracks, and know that just touching them would make them crumble. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    I need to vent a little

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Do you remember the Canon faxes with the square rollers? When the rubber wore through it would drop into the CCD optics causing a line. As they got older you could see the cracks, and know that just touching them would make them crumble. =^..^=
    They were POS's

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I remember all too well.

I also remember the Canon Fax 700 series, that had a white mylar sheet in the DF portion that told the image contact sensor what white was supposed to look like.

If it was dirty, there would be a light streak in the scan in those areas.

More than a few customers had filthy environments, and they called for the problem quite often. Junk from the backsides of the originals loved to rub off on the sheet.

It was always a hoot to explain that the “ABC” (Automatic Background Control) circuit had kicked in. It sounded like I was making it up.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

I need to vent a little

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Don’t win the battle just to lose the war...or something like that.

True. I find that the older I get the less patience I have with customers. With that said, I'll give them a couple of freebies but I make sure I put it in the service history and try to educate the customer so nothing stupid like this happens again. After the 2nd freebie, I tell them that they will be charged next time if it's determined the fault lies with them. At some point, I have to draw a line in the sand.

I need to vent a little

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    True. I find that the older I get the less patience I have with customers. With that said, I'll give them a couple of freebies but I make sure I put it in the service history and try to educate the customer so nothing stupid like this happens again. After the 2nd freebie, I tell them that they will be charged next time if it's determined the fault lies with them. At some point, I have to draw a line in the sand.
    I have pre-printed check list form that includes:

Setup @ shop includes: test sheet.. config settings .. test fax w/ results

Instruction/Teaching basic use...advanced ... inputting info.. Q&A session to clear up problems..printing reports.. destinations.. test w/ new config pages.. test w/ image
    I would test each user w/ different problems ..Q's rate the user .. then have them sign the page and check boxes .

ie:
    did the instructor provide answers to all Q's to your satisfaction?
    NO? please explain

are you comfortable with operating this _______ without much aid? *the blank was the model#
    NO? did you ask for more instruction?
    NO? please explain:

are you happy with the new machine?
    NO? what features do you need to be added? Please Explain

Mind you I know I have missed some topics but y'all get the gist. You would have to adapt the form to fit your business.

I also had one for service only calls, with bulk mailing rates it was a pre-stamped return type evaluation 3x8 cardstock mailer.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

I was thinking of doing tutorial videos for this nonsense calling. Maybe with videos, they understand what they need to do.