Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

canon hard drives

I am trying to use a canon hard drive in a computer. Unable to read/write to the hard drive as it needs a password. I am thinking Canon uses TPM to lock down their hard drives to the copier.

I have tried gparted, dban, and everything else, no sucess. Has anyone gotten past this password lockout?

Ricoh's are easy, just take the hdd, just do low level format and resuse. Not so easy with a canon.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    canon hard drives

Re: canon hard drives

If Windows disk management won't allow access, try a low level disk format utility or a partitioning software such as MiniTool Partition Wizard. Try the free home edition first. It also comes in handy when you have an older machine that uses smaller USB thumb drives.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    canon hard drives

Personally, I wouldn't use Windows for this job, since most copiers use a derivative of Linux.

Command line error messages can be searched with google, what do you get if you

sudo fdisk -l

also, what happens if you try and mount it, obviously /dev/sdb and /mnt/media need to be changed to your specifics.

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/media
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Thanks for the suggestions. Slim.... your suggested program did not work. Skynet.... I have tried mounting in linux, no worky.

So far I have tried low level format, gparted, command prompt, terminal, etc. I have tried to over write with Debian installer nothing works. During training once I asked the Canon trainer about this. He said nothing you can do to recover the disk for other uses. I am thinking he was correct.

If nothing else they might make excellent 50 yard targets on the shooting range.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    canon hard drives

if you still use Linux for this why you not make a simple badblock with this you can delete every harddrive it dosenīt matter which filesystem or format. . i do this for all my hdds and the drives form customers too.
    My profile is not working at the moment. The profile you see is not mine. Board redirects to a wrong userprofile. So you CANīT REACH ME over the profile via SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE and even not over regular Email too

You only can contact me if you click my name on a post and select PRIVATE MESSAGE straight from there.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Canon U.S.A., Inc. | Hard Drive Solutions
    I guess You may try HDD format featured in machines.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    canon hard drives

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post

I asked the Canon trainer about this. He said nothing you can do to recover the disk for other uses. I am thinking he was correct.
    Now you mention it I recall a bit about the training and the tpm module, it encrypts the hard drive to such an extent its unusable.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    if you still use Linux for this why you not make a simple badblock with this you can delete every harddrive it dosenīt matter which filesystem or format. . i do this for all my hdds and the drives form customers too.

Here is the hitch. You can't mount a canon hdd in linux. Windows mmc actually sees the hard drive but it shows no media in the hdd. We even have a stand alone hdd eraser. Even that will not clear the tpm password. Whether it be windows or whatever there is always a read/write error to the hard drive because the tpm password is encoded into an eprom on the hdd from the copier. I put the sucker into a computer, the computer boots bios and the first thing askes for the hdd password.

Have you ever tried badblocks on a canon hdd? I would be curious to see if it works for you.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    canon hard drives

the tpm password is encoded into an eprom on the hdd from the copier
    And therein is the bugaboo. According to Asus "The HDD password protects all data stored on the hard disk, keeping the data safe from being read or overwritten by unauthorized users. The TPM creates cryptograhic keys and encrypts them so that they can only be decrypted by that particular TPM. This allows the hard disk drive to be tied to a particular device which has TPM embedded."

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    canon hard drives

I am trying to use a canon hard drive in a computer. Unable to read/write to the hard drive as it needs a password. I am thinking Canon uses TPM to lock down their hard drives to the copier.

I have tried gparted, dban, and everything else, no sucess. Has anyone gotten past this password lockout?

Ricoh's are easy, just take the hdd, just do low level format and resuse. Not so easy with a canon.

Which model Canon did the drive come from?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk