Thread: Year of Hell

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

Year of Hell

It's been a while since I have logged on, so much going on, I almost forgot this site was still here, with all the COVID stuff going on, was kind of hoping 2021 would be better, but so far, not yet, last year, 2020, that is, in March, hours got cut, April got furloughed, right at a year to the date company was sold/merged with new company, July 8th we lost my dad, due to Alzheimer's, later Hurricane Laura hit the Gulf Coast, devastating Lake Charles, LA and areas around it, did not do us to much damage where I am, trees down, ect.
    Had another one, named Delta, blow through later, surprised every one, with how much wind that one had when it hit, Sept 28, we lost my mom, to dementia, it was after this time I found a part time job as a school custodian, and let me tell you, after 20 years as a copier tech, that was hell of a step down, like cleaning house 8 hours a evening, for less then half the pay.
    Sorry to rant on a bit, but I know fellow copier people would understand.
    Someone tell me it will get better and we will get back to work...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Year of Hell

Re: Year of Hell

Quote Originally Posted by vincent64 View Post
    It's been a while since I have logged on, so much going on, I almost forgot this site was still here, with all the COVID stuff going on, was kind of hoping 2021 would be better, but so far, not yet, last year, 2020, that is, in March, hours got cut, April got furloughed, right at a year to the date company was sold/merged with new company, July 8th we lost my dad, due to Alzheimer's, later Hurricane Laura hit the Gulf Coast, devastating Lake Charles, LA and areas around it, did not do us to much damage where I am, trees down, ect.
    Had another one, named Delta, blow through later, surprised every one, with how much wind that one had when it hit, Sept 28, we lost my mom, to dementia, it was after this time I found a part time job as a school custodian, and let me tell you, after 20 years as a copier tech, that was hell of a step down, like cleaning house 8 hours a evening, for less then half the pay.
    I hope things get better for you. Sorry about these hardships and the loss of your parents.

It may sound corny but when you have your health you have everything.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Year of Hell

I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortunes. You're on the way back, and you are a survivor. You've proved that again and again.
    Please stay in touch! =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 07-17-2021 at 12:55 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I'm so sorry t hear of your misfortunes. You're on the way back, and you are a survivor. You've proved that again and again.
    Please stay in touch! =^..^=
    Well some good news, I have a interview with a local copier/office supply company next Tue. so we shall see!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Year of Hell

Well some good news, I have a interview with a local copier/office supply company next Tue. so we shall see!!!
    We're all cheering for you. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Year of Hell

Sorry to hear about your situation. Always look for the silver lining in a bad situation. I know a technician that had similar situations and he used to clean the pool for his parents and started cleaning the adjoining neighbors pools, too. Well, when he was laid off last year, he started cleaning pools as a side hustle and now runs his own pool cleaning business. He was worried and stressed out at at first, but really enjoys his new success.
    And it was only because he was thrown into that situation of struggle that a new door to opportunity presented itself, he likes cleaning pools better than being a copier tech.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Year of Hell

You're lucky to have an option, I have known other techs that just completely gave up.
    Congrats and will be waiting for an update from you telling us the work/pay is good .. you enjoy it and the stress is gone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk