Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ida

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Hurricane Ida

Hurricane Ida

When I first moved to the coast, I knew nothing about a hurricane. After about 20-years, unfortunately, I've become too much of an expert.

Streets are already flooded. There's no food left in the stores and soon gas will be impossible to find.

I'm gonna ride this one out. I'll update for as long as I can.

Hoping for the best.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Hurricane Ida

Re: Hurricane Ida

Stay dry. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Hang in there, my friend.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Hurricane Ida

In The UK we very really get any extreme weather. Our last major storm that caused major despuption was in 1987.

I'm having a read up on storm Ida.

Hurricane Ida: New Orleans braces for possible direct hit - BBC News
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Hurricane Ida

@Billy: were you there for Katrina?
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Hurricane Ida

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    @Billy: were you there for Katrina?

The day before Katrina hit it was projected to miss us so I went to a New Orleans Saints game. (New Orleans is 70 miles from Long Beach, Ms.) It was a night game and I got home about 11 p.m. I was awoken by a weather alert on TV saying that Katrina had shifted paths and was headed directly for us. I threw some clothes in the car and got out. The eye of the storm passed directly over us. It was several weeks before we were allowed back in. As I drove back in it looked like a nuclear bomb had gone off. It was total devastation.

All people heard about was New Orleans because the levee broke but south Mississippi got most of the damage.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Here is a link to a live cam on Bourbon St. I sometimes check it out for time kill, but I'll be watching the weather there, especially tomorrow.

EarthCam - New Orleans Cam

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20 year tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    The day before Katrina hit it was projected to miss us so I went to a New Orleans Saints game. (New Orleans is 70 miles from Long Beach, Ms.) It was a night game and I got home about 11 p.m. I was awoken by a weather alert on TV saying that Katrina had shifted paths and was headed directly for us. I threw some clothes in the car and got out. The eye of the storm passed directly over us. It was several weeks before we were allowed back in. As I drove back in it looked like a nuclear bomb had gone off. It was total devastation.

All people heard about was New Orleans because the levee broke but south Mississippi got most of the damage.

So you left for Katrina that was a cat 3 when it made landfall. Idas forecast as a cat 4 and your staying??

I wish you luck and pray your home was built with the metal strapping and joist supports as well as other hurricane damage prevention. No such thing as hurricane proof construction. I rode out Irene and Sandy here in CT. My house at the time was about 100 yards from long island sound and built with hurricane building codes. Those were cat 1 and tropical storm rated. I had 6 feet of water surrounding my home. Given the choice I would never put myself thru that again. Again those were rated as tropical storms or weak cat 1.

First responders cannot and will not risk there lives to come and save your ass if you get in trouble, I would gtfo if I were you but my prayers are with you if you stay.

Hurricane Ida

Quote Originally Posted by 20 year tech View Post
    So you left for Katrina that was a cat 3 when it made landfall. Idas forecast as a cat 4 and your staying??

I wish you luck and pray your home was built with the metal strapping and joist supports as well as other hurricane damage prevention. No such thing as hurricane proof construction. I rode out Irene and Sandy here in CT. My house at the time was about 100 yards from long island sound and built with hurricane building codes. Those were cat 1 and tropical storm rated. I had 6 feet of water surrounding my home. Given the choice I would never put myself thru that again. Again those were rated as tropical storms or weak cat 1.

First responders cannot and will not risk there lives to come and save your ass if you get in trouble, I would gtfo if I were you but my prayers are with you if you stay.

Current projections have Long Beach, Ms. on the outside of major winds. If things change, I'll be evacuating. I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Hurricane Ida

Quote Originally Posted by 20 year tech View Post

If you look at where Billy is located and at the NOAA projected tracking maps, he is east of the eastern most projected track and is only in the tropical storm warning area not the hurricane warning.

The rating of a hurricane/tropical storm is based on maximum sustained wind speed, not overall size or strength. Though only a cat 3, Katrina was a slow moving beast that went straight into NOLA and stayed at cat 3 after landfall. Ida is a much smaller cat 4 and is expected to loose strength quickly and move inland.

As for first responders, how many do you know? I know quite a few and they do risk their lives to get stranded citizens out of harms way. It is happening daily with the fires here in California and the Pacific Northwest.