Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Portable AC unit leaking water

Re: Portable AC unit leaking water

I was around 20 years old when I decided I wanted to learn about air conditioning. This was before the age of the internet so I went to my local library and checked out a book. This book was written in the 1950's if not earlier. It started with the history of the ice box. I'm talking about the type that you place a block of ice in the bottom - hot air rises and cold air sinks, thus keeping your food cold.

Then they talked about refrigeration systems. Basically you have an evaporator and condenser coil. Freon is a liquid under pressure.....anyone care to explain the rest?
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I was around 20 years old when I decided I wanted to learn about air conditioning. This was before the age of the internet so I went to my local library and checked out a book. This book was written in the 1950's if not earlier. It started with the history of the ice box. I'm talking about the type that you place a block of ice in the bottom - hot air rises and cold air sinks, thus keeping your food cold.

Then they talked about refrigeration systems. Basically you have an evaporator and condenser coil. Freon is a liquid under pressure.....anyone care to explain the rest?
    Simplified: Liquid Freon enters the evaporator. Heat from the air passing over the evaporator coils is absorbed by the coils causing the Freon to evaporate and cooling the air. The heat is then concentrated by the compressor. The Freon then goes to the condenser where it gives up its absorbed heat to the surrounding air.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Simplified: Liquid Freon enters the evaporator. Heat from the air passing over the evaporator coils is absorbed by the coils causing the Freon to evaporate and cooling the air. The heat is then concentrated by the compressor. The Freon then goes to the condenser where it gives up its absorbed heat to the surrounding air.

I figured you would know. That is correct. I'll just add that it's a closed system and the cycle repeats itself over and over.

One last note: To the untrained eye, air conditioner cools a room by blowing cold air into it. In reality, an air conditioner removes heat and humidity from the living place.

PS - For anyone that doubts that an air conditioner removes humidity, place an uncovered block of cheese in your fridge and see what happens. It will suck all the moisture out.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I figured you would know. That is correct. I'll just add that it's a closed system and the cycle repeats itself over and over.

One last note: To the untrained eye, air conditioner cools a room by blowing cold air into it. In reality, an air conditioner removes heat and humidity from the living place.
    To be truthful, a refrigeration type air conditioner removes heat and humidity from the living place. On the other hand an evaporation type air conditioner, also called a swamp cooler, takes heat out by putting humidity in. In a dry desert climate they can lower the air temperature 30 to 40 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    On the other hand an evaporation type air conditioner, also called a swamp cooler, takes heat out by putting humidity in. In a dry desert climate they can lower the air temperature 30 to 40 degrees.

That's funny that you posted this. I almost mentioned it but didn't want to geek out too much. I only know about this because of what I've read or watched on video as I live in a state with 100% humidity.

WOW another subject he's NOT trained on what a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by roho View Post
    I figured since most of us are techs, this might not be a bad place to ask around. I have a couple months old portable AC unit. It has a manual drain which I leave plugged and a upper tube drain which I run into a pail. I clean the airfilters on a regular basis. I noticed water around the floor today and after cleaning that took out the drain tube and poked a bit and cleaned that area. I seem to be getting a steady drip from the line, but alas, shortly after...

I then took the unit into the washroom and drained it manually in the tub but I was expecting more water.

I've checked out some stuff and advice from Google, and I have poured through the user guide endlessly, which would be more aptly named useless guide.

I read that the unit has to be level or the drain float may not activate properly, these are condo hardwood floor, not a old farm house and the unit was flawless for two to three months so I feel I can rule that out.

Hoping someone has some experience and advice, dreading the thought of not having it on tonight while I am trying to sleep. I would just worry about floor damage happening while asleep.

Drain lines can have many problems ie algae or dust and if clogged will overflow the drain pan getting water on the floor.
    Blowout or suckout the drain line.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

That's funny that you posted this. I almost mentioned it but didn't want to geek out too much. I only know about this because of what I've read or watched on video as I live in a state with 100% humidity.
    I grew up with with them. The first place that had refrigeration was the public library. Humidity averaged about 15% to 20%.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    WOW another subject he's NOT trained on what a surprise
    Life is a far better instructor than any training coarse. If you had grown up properly you would know that.